Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer hitch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
I'm sure this topic has been discussed here before. However, the search function always kicks my a$$.

The pin hole on my '03 3500 Chevy factory hitch is now an oblong shape. What hitches have members here used for replacements on these trucks?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
On my 98 I welded hardened washers on either side.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I had my hitch get stolen one time and the receiver hole was getting elongated. The hitch had a lock on there which they easily broke.
What I did after that was to drill it and install a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut through them. Now the hitch can not move around in there opening the hole and it is harder to steal. If I remember right it was 1/2 inch bolt.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used Curtis on my yukon the problem with it was the Curtis was 2" higher than the factory one.

2017 Modified Sumerduck dragway Champ
2015 SBRA Footbrake Points Champ
Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

Posts: 56 | Location: manassas | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I came across a 9/16 Grade 8 bolt and I drilled it out to fit. Much tighter, more snug fit. I replaced the whole assembly a couple years later.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A few years back,I tried this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c...C5TA2QQ/ref=mw_dp_cr

It seemed to help substantially with hole elongation.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
I always use Curt manufacturing

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
I put a new Curt class 5 hitch on my dually a few months ago and in my opinion it's JUNK! The ball mount is as sloppy as the old class 3 Draw Tite I took off! The only difference is for the time being the pin hole is tight but that won't last long because as the mount flops around it's going to open the pin hole up! Manufacturers have loosened up the tolerances because of complaints from people that left the ballmount in and it rusted tight. So as usual, lets dumb down stuff so it's easier for the idiots! Before I installed the Curt hitch I ordered a hitch from B&W. Their rep told me their specs are 2.040 +/- .010, measured 2.085. Better than the Curt (2.115) but not worth the extra expense of $50 more. Also a close racing buddy put a new Draw Tite on his truck and I feel his is unsatisfactory also! My parents owned a RV dealership when I was younger and my primary job was setting the customers vehicles up for towing, I installed a bunch of factory hitches and fabricated quite a few too back in the '70s and I never saw anything like this trash. My plan is to find a hitch tube of the proper dimension and cut the tube out of this Curt and weld in the new tube! I'm done my rant, I'll go out and tinker with my car to calm down!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had this same type problem but it was the ball mount that was slightly undersize. Put 4 spot welds on two sides of the ball mount and filed them down until I had a snug fit. Worked for me.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I know a repoman that once trailered a car from GA. to NY. and when he got there the nut was missing on the ball and it was pulled way back and made a huge wallered whole slanted backwards. Laughing very hard I have some welded big time also I have steaked the threads with a punch.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RIGID....American Made...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Or Torqlift...but they high dolla...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ole Goat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

Ditto - I have did the same thing on different tow vehicles - weld a grade 8 washer on both sides & I use a bolt with a nut instead of a pin

Posts: 288 | Location: Whaleyville Va | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

Ditto - I have did the same thing on different tow vehicles - weld a grade 8 washer on both sides & I use a bolt with a nut instead of a pin

The problem with the hardened washers is that they will wear out the Chinese pins, actually cut a groove all of the way around them.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatpack:
I put a new Curt class 5 hitch on my dually a few months ago and in my opinion it's JUNK! The ball mount is as sloppy as the old class 3 Draw Tite I took off! The only difference is for the time being the pin hole is tight but that won't last long because as the mount flops around it's going to open the pin hole up! Manufacturers have loosened up the tolerances because of complaints from people that left the ballmount in and it rusted tight. So as usual, lets dumb down stuff so it's easier for the idiots! Before I installed the Curt hitch I ordered a hitch from B&W. Their rep told me their specs are 2.040 +/- .010, measured 2.085. Better than the Curt (2.115) but not worth the extra expense of $50 more. Also a close racing buddy put a new Draw Tite on his truck and I feel his is unsatisfactory also! My parents owned a RV dealership when I was younger and my primary job was setting the customers vehicles up for towing, I installed a bunch of factory hitches and fabricated quite a few too back in the '70s and I never saw anything like this trash. My plan is to find a hitch tube of the proper dimension and cut the tube out of this Curt and weld in the new tube! I'm done my rant, I'll go out and tinker with my car to calm down!

https://www.speedymetals.com/p...re-steel-tubing.aspx

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

How do you get a 2” square ball mount into a 2” square I/D steel tube?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post