DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    What engine is this Forg guys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What engine is this Forg guys
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted
Have an old Ford truck in today. a '46 so I am assuming not the original engine. Wouldnt it be a flathead in '46?

Anyway, it is an overhead valve V8 engine. the intake is raised off the enine so the valley is sealed with a valley cover. The oil pump is external on the lower left rear of the engine and the pickup is externam into the left side of the oil pan. The distributor come up out of the rear engine on the passenger side at about a 45 degree angle.

Firing order is on the intake and is a Ford firing order

Any idea what this engine is? I am thinking maybe this
engine ?

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
By your description that is most likely it. Was probably swapped sometime in the 50s or 60s so those would’ve been in good supply and cheap back then.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD6297:
Have an old Ford truck in today. a '46 so I am assuming not the original engine. Wouldnt it be a flathead in '46?

Anyway, it is an overhead valve V8 engine. the intake is raised off the enine so the valley is sealed with a valley cover. The oil pump is external on the lower left rear of the engine and the pickup is externam into the left side of the oil pan. The distributor come up out of the rear engine on the passenger side at about a 45 degree angle.

Firing order is on the intake and is a Ford firing order

Any idea what this engine is? I am thinking maybe this
engine ?

As an "old" Ford guy. This was in my first car.

It could be one of four Y Blocks, a 239 which was the first overhead valve, a 272 which came out in late 54, a 292 which is the most common and started in 55/56 model, or the famous 312 which anyone that has a Y block is what theirs is.. The 292 was used up until, I think, 1964.
Go to Y block Guy all the info you need and also links to other sites.
The Y block was pretty bad ass in it's time. For sure a small block chevy couldn't handle it.

Just some info from an old guy.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
ford 352 ?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
ford 352 ?

Nope. 352 had the distributor in the front like the 332, 390, 427, and 428.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
All Y blocks had a unique intake port design..

Pairs of intake ports were stacked one over the other, not side by side like most other V8's

You can see it from the outside of the intake...

The valve covers were held on with 2 nuts thru the top of the covers with washers and rubber seals...

They made zillions of Y-blocks...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
cool thanks! Quite a unque looking engine that is for sure!

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They were quite an interesting engine.

Dad had a 292 in a 61 Ford truck. Towed a 40 foot trailer from CA. to OR. with it.

Later on in high school a friend had a 292 in a 64 Ford 3/4 ton truck. We swapped the worn out 292 and truck 4 speed for a rebuilt 312 with 3 Stromberg 97's and a T-10 4 speed. With 4:88 gears the old truck was a real kick to drive.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
We might still have some generators out there that we service that have Y-block engines

I can recall a few and they ran fine on natural gas as most building backup units are.

I worked on those engines regularly in my UTE....lol

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post