New
Find
Notify
Tools

67 Firebird on RJ
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think your expectations are too high. You're not going to get much for under $10k no mind a turnkey, professionally built back halved car.

You should expect to dump another $10k into a car like the one above that was built at least
3 decades ago. The truth is you can buy a better and newer car for $20k

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not knocking this man Firebird but have to agree with 1320 racer. However you never really know how good or how much potential a car like this has until you race it and get the numbers. I have an opinion on front end geometry as it can be pretty important as to consistency especially on a track that has been well prepped and has drug the sticky down track as the race wears on.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why would you expect to dump $10,000 in a car like that bird? As long as it meets the rules and runs and drives could go racing just like it is.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
maybe you would, I wouldn't. EVERYTHING is OLD, everything needs to be checked and once you do, you're spending $ replacing and upgrading. Adds up quick.

Then again, I wouldn't buy that car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Didn’t say nothing would need replaced just saying it doesn’t take a show car to win races.
I wouldn’t buy that car unless it was dirt cheap because I already got something nicer but I know some racers who have won a lot of money with such equipment.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
EVERYTHING is OLD, everything needs to be checked and once you do, you're spending $ replacing and upgrading. Adds up quick.

Couldn't agree more. Unless you know the person and car, you don't know what you are getting. Could get lucky and be able to add fuel and race or may need to start replacing parts. It all adds up when you start replacing heim joints, ball joints, bearings, brakes, safety equipment, etc.

Nothing wrong with a racecar like this. Just would need more pics before going out to look at it in person. Floors, frame, welds, etc.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Didn’t say nothing would need replaced just saying it doesn’t take a show car to win races.

Didn't say it did, besides, $10k would be at least $50k shy of making that junk a show car.

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The fact that the car sits unsold proves that it is, if anything, priced high. Looks like it would take a pile of money to turn it into a nice street car, and/or an equally large pile of money to turn it into a nice race car.

Not knocking the car at all, just stating facts.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had seen
this particular car run and at which tracks it competed at.

An owners and an observers view on things can be vastly different.

I tried contacting the owner yesterday, but haven't received a response.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J69,

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Looks like it would take a pile of money to turn it into a nice street car, and/or an equally large pile of money to turn it into a nice race car.

Not knocking the car at all, just stating facts.

as I already stated.

If your budget for a turnkey bracket car is only $10k you're buying a money pit.