DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    The Big NHRA News of The Day
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Big NHRA News of The Day
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW! This would be great news!

On the subject of "Millionaires Clubs"....I LOVE the Factory Stock Showdown but my eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw some recent winners circle pics and the numbers on the Happy Gilmores....... $1,500 to win!! Eek Eek Eek

Posts: 1183 | Location: Lake Worth, Fla. U.S. | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
I am at the age where I want to race. Be competitive and have fun. I finally take class racing seriously and it is getting screwed up for whatever reason. I can’t win

ep

Making it to that age is a win!

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
EXACTLY. millionaires playing with other millionaires. It ain't about the crumbs NHRA throws back at them!!

100% Correct.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Meanwhile BRACKET RACING for big money continues to grow and thrive!

Depends how you define "grow and thrive." Big money bracket racing attracts ZERO spectators, either in person or on TV, which means it attracts ZERO sponsors. It's perfect for a pandemic, because nobody goes to watch anyway. It depends 100% on the entrants willing to pay enormous entry fees.

With one round of buybacks, 75% of entries are eliminated after 3rd round, which means 75% paid a huge entry fee (and probably a buyback to boot) and went home empty-handed. I'm not seeing how that's any different from running an NHRA event, financially. But get-rich-quick schemes suck people in every day Smile

I agree with this. a lot of people spend a lot of $ to do it. which is good for the 5% of those who consistently win them and also good for the promoter. when the 95% figure out the math on it I am afraid that pond will dry up as well. I hope it takes a while but it will happen eventually.

ep

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
So, will Gainesville be the Bass Boat Nationals?
Laughing Hard

yep. they are calling for rain all weekend.

ep

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Meanwhile BRACKET RACING for big money continues to grow and thrive!

Depends how you define "grow and thrive." Big money bracket racing attracts ZERO spectators, either in person or on TV, which means it attracts ZERO sponsors. It's perfect for a pandemic, because nobody goes to watch anyway. It depends 100% on the entrants willing to pay enormous entry fees.

With one round of buybacks, 75% of entries are eliminated after 3rd round, which means 75% paid a huge entry fee (and probably a buyback to boot) and went home empty-handed. I'm not seeing how that's any different from running an NHRA event, financially. But get-rich-quick schemes suck people in every day Smile

I agree with this. a lot of people spend a lot of $ to do it. which is good for the 5% of those who consistently win them and also good for the promoter. when the 95% figure out the math on it I am afraid that pond will dry up as well. I hope it takes a while but it will happen eventually.

ep

For sure. The same happens with the heads up classes a lot of times. When you set up a johnson measuring contest, after everyone figures out who has the biggest johnson, it's kinda pointless for everyone else to show up for additional contests. Smile

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maybe the pro teams start paying an entry fee and that makes up some of the purse.

Posts: 8 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I grew up in Youngstown Ohio. Those scuttled mills were a all too familiar site.

Beginning of the end of the middle class, Youngstown Ohio. I remember it as far back as the Ray Mancini story. My dad said there you go, they're gonna offshore the prosperity of this country.

Ross Perot came along warning what would happen to America in Globalism, not too long after that.

NHRA is a part of that GIANT SUCKING SOUND.

Elected officials F'd this place and lined their own pockets green.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
EXACTLY. millionaires playing with other millionaires. It ain't about the crumbs NHRA throws back at them!!

100% FACT!!

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am going to take the departure of Coca-Cola as a positive move and simply look forward to the next chapter in the book of NHRA.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
me too Bob

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
http://imgur.com/a/AMnl4QE

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've always been a Pepsi guy, never tried mello yello, prefer Gatorade over Powerade. Fuc Coke and good riddance!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jim Cornett
posted Hide Post
Gimme an ice cold Mt. Dew over a mellow yellow any day.

winners practice til they get it right........
champions practice til they can't get it wrong.

Posts: 181 | Location: Jefferson, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: December 02, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pepsi is a liberal company and also is an owner of Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods which is a Russian Company. Kind of odd you all are Pepsi guys with all the Pro Trump comments and buy America, just sayin.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted Hide Post
What we are seeing is the growth of fast door car racing. (Yes I am bias and wish mine was fast)
You see the Street outlaw following (not me)
Radial vs the world
Promod Growing like crazy
Midwest Promod growing
PDRA setting the Bar

I think the Nitro categories are the ones to most worry about.
Takes big money to operate
Takes big money to sponsor
Car count teeters on just having 8 car fields and basically 3 teams hold up the fields.

Big money bracket racing is the rage for the East coast but like stated before, Cost a lot, buy backs and 70% leave with nothing. That will only last so long.

Hoping for the best but encouraged in the growth of the smaller organizations.

Top Sportsman

Posts: 318 | Location: Irvine,CA,92606 | Registered: December 29, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Crumlich:
What we are seeing is the growth of fast door car racing. (Yes I am bias and wish mine was fast)
You see the Street outlaw following (not me)
Radial vs the world
Promod Growing like crazy
Midwest Promod growing
PDRA setting the Bar

I think the Nitro categories are the ones to most worry about.
Takes big money to operate
Takes big money to sponsor
Car count teeters on just having 8 car fields and basically 3 teams hold up the fields.

Big money bracket racing is the rage for the East coast but like stated before, Cost a lot, buy backs and 70% leave with nothing. That will only last so long.

Hoping for the best but encouraged in the growth of the smaller organizations.

I see the same thing. Even some on this site have really gotten involved with fast dragster racing with the alternative sanctioning bodies. The fast door cars and dragsters, the traction limited classes.....that stuff is kind of innovative and different and fun to watch! From a spectator POV, that's where the opportunities lie.

Now when it comes to bracket racing, local tracks can still have it, and it may even be successful depending on the area. But they cannot keep doing the same things they have always done and expect to be successful. In fact, they may not be able to do what they did last year and still be successful. Ya goatta be agile and willing to change it up. And TRY to keep your base where you can.
There may be no better time than now to be an outlaw track.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Could not agree more. Look at the 66 deal now that they are closed for 2020. RT 41 in Indiana this past weekend had Twin 10K races. Full house.
IHRA sanction track. They have put a "TON" of money into the facility. Called take it to the bank. What is going on for Byron?. Haven't been there since the Deer Fatality.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
^^^^ Could not agree more. Look at the 66 deal now that they are closed for 2020. RT 41 in Indiana this past weekend had Twin 10K races. Full house.
IHRA sanction track. They have put a "TON" of money into the facility. Called take it to the bank. What is going on for Byron?. Haven't been there since the Deer Fatality.

Lord that was a long time ago!! Byron does a good job. They have a handful of big bucks weekends that seem well attended. The us bracket nationals. Gotten into the larger buck racing. Wheelie contest is a hit. My son won jr points there and at Cordova this year.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Ran a race down in Texas and they had a Top Roadster Class, had to have a roadster with left or right steer and that was it. Throw a dial on it, cut a light and no throttle stops. Class was packed and so were the stands

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post