DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    The Big NHRA News of The Day
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Big NHRA News of The Day
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Very bad news - I can't see how NHRA can afford a legal battle with a giant like Coca Cola in even the best of times.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just saw that. 2020 is nuts!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just a bad deal across the board. NHRA wouldn’t file suit of they didn’t feel they had a chance

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Just a bad deal across the board. NHRA wouldn’t file suit of they didn’t feel they had a chance

Or if it was the only chance they have to survive...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4453 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Nothing good will come from this. Coca Cola lawyers will squash NHRA lawyers like a bug on the floor. At best NHRA will get a settlement agreement. Then who is going to want to work with them in the future

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Link to Lawsuit filed. Takes some time to read but pretty interesting

https://static1.squarespace.co...001/031133936302.pdf

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Maybe Coca-Cola expected NHRA to try harder to schedule and hold events?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Nothing good will come from this. Coca Cola lawyers will squash NHRA lawyers like a bug on the floor. At best NHRA will get a settlement agreement. Then who is going to want to work with them in the future

Might be slim...Pickens once this is out of the gate.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Money + lawyers = lawsuits guaranteed

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4453 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sly fox, how can they schedule events when states or counties won’t allow it?

Bet this never sees the court room. Settlement will come

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Sly fox, how can they schedule events when states or counties won’t allow it?

Bristol held a NASCAR race this past Saturday night with 30,000 in the stands. NHRA cancelled it's event at the same venue, because.....why again?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I also never heard why Atlanta was cancelled. I do not believe the governor was opposed to it. Georgia Tech hosted UCF in football Saturday here in Atlanta with 11,000 in attendance.

Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don't blame NHRA at all none. I blame elected officials for offshoring America to china for one, that's what caused the empty seats since 2009 at NHRA national events,... And the downsizing of local drag racing.

For two I blame elected officials locking this country down over a cold. If NHRA is told they can't bring value to theirs sponsors, this is what happens, sponsors leave asap. Blame your elected officials again.

Elected officials own it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
And Sly Fox. How can Coke pay NHRA when NHRA isn't having events. The whole idea of sponsorship is getting exposure for the advertising dollars being spent. I wonder if there will be a purse at Gainsville this weekend?

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elected officials own it.

And what's the best you'll get from them? A shrug of the shoulders and an OH WELL.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There is an escape clause written into nearly every contract written today, it uses a latin term, Force Majeure, meaning "An Act of God". The Covid-19 pandemic qualifies under that term. The contract between the NHRA and Coke more than likely has that provision, the Lawyers at Coke would have insisted. The chances of NHRA prevailing is somewhere between zero to less than zero. Suing Coke would be difficult to explain to the next Major Sponsor they court, more than likely it would scare them off.

The bigger, and more relivant question is where does this take everyone? Without Coke, or a Sponsor of that magnitude, where does The NHRA find the money to continue under their present "Show" format? The obvious answer is that they probably don't UNLESS someone with a lot of skin in the game steps up. Just a suggestion but wouldn't Jeg's, Summit and a Coalition of Performance Manufacturers be interested in taking the reins at The NHRA and continuing their Sportsman Programs?

Just a suggestion but something to consider.

Bob

ps: As of this morning 200,000 and counting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The only thing NHRA did wrong was entertain the idea it was their fault attendance was dwindling, by making the Pro Stock guys do away with hood scoops. That cost them guys who knows how much.

There never was anything wrong with the product on the drag strip.

As soon as there's empty seats everyone is jumping on NHRA sucks, they need to do this that and the other.

No, debt zombies working two minimum wage jobs ringing up chinese garbage, don't make it out to the drag strip, for the national event in their state.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is there any truth to the facebook picture showing $4.5 million in exec salaries at NHRA?
https://www.facebook.com/photo...X3mjDRYbxYaZSD4zm4WQ

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
2018 Filings 990 form. (OTPI)

https://projects.propublica.or...933199349315698/full

Sportsman Racers... The true backbone of NHRA..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post