Find
Notify
Tools

Delay box question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted
I've been away from box racing for a long time. Been running no box nostalgia gasser stuff, but thinking about going back to bracket racing with a box. Technology has really changed in the last 20 years and my old digital delay box is probably a dinosaur by todays standards.
What do you all recommend?
tube chassi big block glide doorcar running mid 9s.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Will not be running a throttle stop, so won't need a throttle stop controller, just a delay box.

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
The Delay box you need and want is the K/R Pro- Cube with the Z-Force option of letting go of the button or pushing the button. Best box on the market with great service from Kevin.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
1957 Don Davis Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC Race Shop 582 Head Hunter on methanol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mark J
posted Hide Post
X2

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm using the K&R Pro-Cube because of the Z-Force and the Starting Line Control feature. If you like DD products, then you can take a look at The Little Wizard. It's a simple delay box that's can be used for crossing over and crosstalk. It will save you $165 if you don't need the throttle stop control, Dial-In board control, etc, that the Cube (& other DD boxes) offers. It's what I used prior to the Cube & I was happy with it.

DD The LIttle Wizard

Jon Shirota

Posts: 35 | Location: Maui | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Scott, they’re ALL good imho. Even that 20 yr old one you have. Probably still works correctly.

If all you need is delay, crossover , bump you should be fine with a $400 or less box that’ll do this and much more. Most have lighted displays.

I’ve had K&R, Dedenbear, Digital Delay. Right now I have a $400 DD Elite 95 in a door car. Does everything I need and more. I prefer Positive trigger Delay boxes to Negative trigger. My box goes in / out depending on the class I’m running.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the K&R

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm a long user of the Digital Delay products. I'd go that route in a heartbeat again.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve ran k&r pro cube and many of the digital delay boxes such as the mega 450. There is nothing wrong with either product. Personally I prefer the mega 450 simply due to the size and buttons. Some may prefer the k&r since it’s smaller and takes up less space. Regardless there is nothing wrong with either of those boxes

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I ran a mega 450 and switched last season to K&R pro cube with z-force option. I switched just to have the option of pushing the button or releasing the button to release the trans brake. I prefer pushing to release the brake but not sure I'm any better with it.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Your opinions are very helpful.I've just been away from electronics for so long.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I like the Mega-200, best bang for the buck imho.
The replay tach and reaction test features are worth their weight in Gold, shifter operation on time or RPM is also handy. SLE or single t/stop capable. I think with a slower car like mine it's rare to cross over, and SLE can be a plus.
Switch input is (-) ground, I like not having live 12v (+) in the coiled cord.
Downsides are no flinch protection, and you only get bump up, or bump down, not both.

Customer service from DD is more than adequate, as I'm sure K&R is as well.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1598 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
The replay tach and reaction test features are worth their weight in Gold, shifter operation on time or RPM is also handy. SLE or single t/stop capable. I think with a slower car like mine it's rare to cross over, and SLE can be a plus.
Downsides are no flinch protection, and you only get bump up, or bump down, not both.

There is no throttle stop timer in a Mega 200. I traded one to my brother for his old Dedenbear crossover box because I needed a stop timer.

OP, if your old box has crossover capability, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. Some people believe the old thumbwheel boxes were the best ever made. Unless you just want that new box smell.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the Dedenbear RTD7 and have had great success with it. I'm typically the slowest car in Super Pro so have never needed a cross over. Super simple and accurate.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 155 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Also a fan of Digital Delay / Biondo. The stuff works and the knowledge & support from both Biondo & DD are second to none.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Lucky,

Kind of in same boat as you on time since used dealy box. Lot different than a pedal clutch.Last delay have one setting I think 1986 vitage.

I went with K&R and feel it is very user friendly, easy setup and with z force, I have the option of hold and release of set and hit.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My old box probably still works, but its really old. I think I want a new box just because its new.
Tired of old stuff breaking. Plus, the new stuff seems to have additional features

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

There is no throttle stop timer in a Mega 200. I traded one to my brother for his old Dedenbear crossover box because I needed a stop timer.

OP, if your old box has crossover capability, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. Some people believe the old thumbwheel boxes were the best ever made. Unless you just want that new box smell.

It's not the hot set up for t/stop racing, but you can use the S.F.O. to run a simple stop, I think.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1598 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

It's not the hot set up for t/stop racing, but you can use the S.F.O. to run a simple stop, I think.

Stop thinking. It doesn’t appear to be helping.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard
You're correct, on both points.
I hadn't looked at the instructions for about 20 years.....S.F.O. won't do it.

Dave Cook
N375