DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA Gold & Silver card holders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA Gold & Silver card holders
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Cazman
posted
Just a reminder and info for 2019 Gold and Silver card holders. Its a nice jesture and been kind of an unwritten custom for Gold and Silver card members to enter National events in the last week that entries are excepted. You are guaranteed entry after the quota has been filled and will give the opportunity for a someone to enter that otherwise would not have been able to make it in. There's 22 current entries in TD for Pomona and 4 of those are 2019 Gold and Silver card holders.

Steve Casner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, CA USA | Registered: August 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought it was World Champions that were guaranteed entry.

I didn't realize it was for Gold and Silver card holders too.

Good advice,but unfortunately, not always followed by those that it applies to.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Former world champions, defending event champions, gold and silver card holders. To my knowledge.

I don't know why NHRA puts that burden on the racers. Those entries simply shouldn't count against the quota.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What is strange is when there is a quota of 50,and then 10 World Champions and Gold and Silver card holders all enter on the last day causing the event to reach 60.

But if they enter early,the quota can be full at 50.

To me,they should strive for fixed quotas that result in 32 or 64 car fields with no bye runs.

The quota system is going to cause a lot of upset people next year.

Some people enter the race with no intention of competing,then withdraw in order to let their buddy in.

I'm glad I have a Grade 6,so I shouldn't have to deal with those issues.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:

Some people enter the race with no intention of competing, then withdraw in order to let their buddy in.

What makes this year any different from the previous ten?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

Some people enter the race with no intention of competing, then withdraw in order to let their buddy in.

What makes this year any different from the previous ten?

Some quotas are LOWER and the economy seems to be better the last few years.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Grade 7 for the Winternationals opened today and there are 35 Super Comp cars already entered with a quota of 60.

I might be wrong,but did it ever start to fill up that fast over the last 10 years?

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I can see both sides of the coin here. Knowing one of the entries and also knowing what his car runs it is too his advantage to enter early. That is one less car he has to out qualify to make the field. Just because he is guaranteed entry doesn't guarantee that he will qualify. How stupid would you feel if you waited to the last week and than ended up the first alternate? Oh and now i guess everyone will just say that he should speed up his car. Being the National champ i would say leave it alone.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
I can see both sides of the coin here. Knowing one of the entries and also knowing what his car runs it is too his advantage to enter early. That is one less car he has to out qualify to make the field. Just because he is guaranteed entry doesn't guarantee that he will qualify. How stupid would you feel if you waited to the last week and than ended up the first alternate? Oh and now i guess everyone will just say that he should speed up his car. Being the National champ i would say leave it alone.

That is interesting the scenario that you just laid out.It comes down to strategy.

If the quota is 60 and a bunch of Champs enter late,the quota could go to 65 and add an entire extra round to the race.

Bottom line is that World Champions,Gold,and Silver card holders have earned the right to enter the race,and I guess they can enter whenever they want.They earned that right.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
At National events NHRA does not want 7 round fields in the sportsman classes. (65 or more) One of the reasons that NHRA dropped the count to 50 at the finals is because there is less of a chance at going over 64.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Larry Scarth,

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

I`ve had two NHRA Gold Cards in the past and never knew of this rule until now. Good to know if I ever get another.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There was events in the past when I had my gold card that I want to do but I knew qualifying would be tough I did decide to enter early to have 1 less car that I had to out qualify. Then events I knew qualifying wasnt a issue so I entered late. As someone on here said it is up to the driver with the card to make that decision

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Vince, your dead on.

It's definitely part of the racing strategy.
You earned the right to enter whenever you want.

That's just SMART racing.

That's going to be just like TD at Indy this year.
We ALL know that it will be full at 7 GP's or close to it.

Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Hawk:
quote:

I`ve had two NHRA Gold Cards in the past and never knew of this rule until now. Good to know if I ever get another.

I know you've raced several classes over the years, Lane, and I'm not sure where your gold cards came from. I don't know if 'bracket series' gold cards will guarantee entry to national events.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Todd Barton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:

Great point Moe. For the super classes the "let it fill" strategy works, but for the Top classes where a bump comes into play I'd say the gloves are off.

Posts: 380 | Location: Gray, TN | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Doug Crumlich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topd1332:
There was events in the past when I had my gold card that I want to do but I knew qualifying would be tough I did decide to enter early to have 1 less car that I had to out qualify. Then events I knew qualifying wasnt a issue so I entered late. As someone on here said it is up to the driver with the card to make that decision

This is exactly what I am planning if we go east to Indy or Chicago this year.

Top Sportsman

Posts: 318 | Location: Irvine,CA,92606 | Registered: December 29, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hawk:
quote:

I know you've raced several classes over the years, Lane, and I'm not sure where your gold cards came from. I don't know if 'bracket series' gold cards will guarantee entry to national events.

I have had a Gold Card for the Summit ET Nat`l Championship and the Div 5 Stock Championship, both were good for everything the following season.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Does a former Indy champ (regardless of category) get the same deal where he can enter any class after the quota is full?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Does a former Indy champ (regardless of category) get the same deal where he can enter any class after the quota is full?

I'm pretty sure that the event champion is only guaranteed entry the following year, as the defending champ.

That's interesting, Lane. When I had my gold card a couple years back as a Lucas Oil division champion, I was not able to use it at bracket races.

Tony Leonard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Here are the current NHRA event entry procedures. The section about "Provisional Entries" explains who can enter without having divisional grade points:

http://promod.nhra.com/Userfil...CEDURES_and_FEES.pdf

PROVISIONAL ENTRIES

1. A driver with a valid NHRA Gold or Silver card (not Bronze) will be guaranteed entry to any National Event (card must have been earned in either Mello Yello series or Lucas Oil series – cards earned in ET, Jr Series’ or other Series’ are not entitled for a provisional entry).

2. The defending event champion will be guaranteed entry to the event he/she won. For example, the 2016 Super Gas winner at the Finals would be guaranteed entry into the 2017 Finals. Entry is not guaranteed to any other event or category.

3. A former Mello Yello or Lucas Oil national champion (Pro or Sportsman) will be guaranteed entry to any National Event.

4. A Professional driver earning Top 20 status in the current or previous season will be guaranteed a Sportsman entry to any National Event.

5. Owner credits may be awarded in cases involving a driver change. The owner must have grade points from the previous year for the category entering. Owner grade points cannot be a combination of multiple vehicles or combined with driver grade points. Division Director approval required.

6. Foreign contestants or contestants from recognized FIA Drag Racing Commission, NHRA Worldwide Network, or ACCUS organizations will be issued a provisional entry as determined in NHRA’s sole and absolute discretion.

7. A Sportsman driver within the Top 20 in National points, and still in contention for a possible Top 10 year-end position, will be guaranteed entry to any of the final four National Events (at which their category is contested) of the racing season. Driver must still be eligible to earn points and must be mathematically able to obtain Top 10 status prior to the start of the event entering.

8. A Sportsman driver within the Top 10 in National points will be guaranteed entry to any of the final four National Events (at which their category is contested) of the racing season. Drivers unable to earn further points are still eligible for this provision in order to protect their Top 10 status. Driver must be in Top 10 prior to the start of the event entering.

Here are the Gold/Silver/Bronze card descriptions:

http://promod.nhra.com/UserFil...ONZE_CARD_POLICY.pdf

GOLD/SILVER/BRONZE CARD PRIVILEGES

Gold Cards: Awarded to National and Divisional points champions in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, Jr Drag Racing League, and Division champions in the Summit ET Series. A driver may earn two Gold Cards by winning championships in two different categories – a driver winning a National and Division title in the same category does NOT receive two cards. The individual to whom the card was issued will receive two (2) complimentary credentials (driver plus one crew) at series events in which the card was earned (TAD/TAFC receive six (6) credentials). Drivers holding two Gold Cards are entitled to complimentary entry for two vehicles at the same event. Drivers with multiple entries, holding a single Gold Card, will receive a complimentary entry for the first vehicle only - each additional vehicle is required to pay the applicable entry fee. Gold Card holders attending, but not competing at a National Event, will receive two (2) complimentary event credentials.

Silver Cards: Awarded to the 2 through 10 finishers in the NHRA Lucas Oil National series who DO NOT earn a Gold card in the same eliminator. Also awarded to the 2 through 5 finishers in the TAD/TAFC categories in NHRA Lucas Oil Divisional series who DO NOT earn a Gold Card. The individual to whom the card was issued will receive two (2) complimentary credentials (driver plus one crew) at NHRA National Events only (TAD/TAFC receive four (4) credentials). Silver Card holders attending, but not competing at a National Event, will not receive complimentary credentials.

Bronze Cards: Awarded to the 6 through 10 finishers in the TAD/TAFC categories in NHRA Lucas Oil Divisional series who DO NOT earn a Gold or Silver card (must have competed at a minimum of three home events). The individual to whom the card was issued will receive two (2) complimentary credentials (driver plus one crew) at NHRA National Events only. Bronze Card holders attending, but not competing at a National Event, will NOT receive complimentary credentials. Bronze card holders are NOT guaranteed entry to National Events.

Complimentary entry does not include $120 insurance surcharge, each entry in competition will be assessed this fee.

Tony Leonard