DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Race flyer advertising versus actual actions and payouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race flyer advertising versus actual actions and payouts
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted
How many racers pay attention to what the payouts , fees and rules etc are by tracks and promoters . Hazy interpetation and vague wording it seems is becoming common place advertising for races .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If it matters to you, you have to be on your toes. It seems that racers are attracted to the sexy big payout numbers like moths to a light. And we lose sight of all else. It's easy to leave out the details and still have racers show up.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
from what I have seen the gray wording is at small and large payout races and not just at bracket races . one better have a understanding of exactly what is going on before hooking the trailer up lolol

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
from what I have seen the gray wording is at small and large payout races and not just at bracket races . one better have a understanding of exactly what is going on before hooking the trailer up lolol

Such as???

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The flyers are clear, hazy? Have not noticed. Have yet to see something different than the flyer states.

We base our decisions to travel off of:

1 Distance
2 Entry per car
3 Double entry
4 Buy back cost
5 Buy back 1st or 2nd rd?
6 Entry vs payout
7 Time trials? Hopefully minimal if buy backs?
8 how many races in one weekend?
9 purse guaranteed?
10 weather forecasts
11 race promoters history

If you feel shafted by something on a flier the promoters contact information is always on the flyer for a phone call if needed.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
For the bigger races everything is pretty clear on the fliers and the seasoned promoters do a really good job of decision making if circumstances arise.
Now as far as local tracks it's whole 'nother story. Many times the races you see advertised on Facebook fliers leave a lot of questions to be answered. I've been at the gate or in the tower and not gotten clear answers to questions at some races. these tracks also tend to make poor snap decisions and have little pre thought out plans for weather or extreme oil downs and such. They are the places that don't answer questions on the FB post and never return phone calls as the track is always on an answering machine.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
It is in print shouldn't be a reason to call but it may definitely be in ones best interest to know the all the pertinent facts from the horses mouth upfront . I had a feller tell me one time if you don't have it in writing it ain't worth a dayum . This is not a one place one race one promoter problem but it seems to show up more and more to me .

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
For the bigger races everything is pretty clear on the fliers and the seasoned promoters do a really good job of decision making if circumstances arise.
Now as far as local tracks it's whole 'nother story. Many times the races you see advertised on Facebook fliers leave a lot of questions to be answered. I've been at the gate or in the tower and not gotten clear answers to questions at some races. these tracks also tend to make poor snap decisions and have little pre thought out plans for weather or extreme oil downs and such. They are the places that don't answer questions on the FB post and never return phone calls as the track is always on an answering machine.

This nails it as far as my experience.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
One track I this year played in the grey area when it came to payout. They advertise a guaranteed $1000 to win. They had rain set in one day with low car count. The extra money needed for the guaranteed $1000 to win was not in the split. The track's position is we guarantee a $1000 to the winner, there was no winner.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradsc1954:
One track I this year played in the grey area when it came to payout. They advertise a guaranteed $1000 to win. They had rain set in one day with low car count. The extra money needed for the guaranteed $1000 to win was not in the split. The track's position is we guarantee a $1000 to the winner, there was no winner.

Wow that's not even clever.
I don't want tracks to lose money. But when you advertise a guaranteed payout, it should be a guarantee.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I like the ones that post the purse and then in the fine print have a minimum car count that they never get close to--EVER!

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
The flyers are clear, hazy? Have not noticed. Have yet to see something different than the flyer states.

We base our decisions to travel off of:

1 Distance
2 Entry per car
3 Double entry
4 Buy back cost
5 Buy back 1st or 2nd rd?
6 Entry vs payout
7 Time trials? Hopefully minimal if buy backs?
8 how many races in one weekend?
9 purse guaranteed?
10 weather forecasts
11 race promoters history

If you feel shafted by something on a flier the promoters contact information is always on the flyer for a phone call if needed.

Torqin gets it but I would put Entry vs Payout as number 2 on that list. I do pay attention to the flyer and rules in my decision where to race.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fern...I have learned to look in the fine print for minimums and other items...no big deal...my list goes like this...

1. Type of event
2. Entry vs. payout
3. Distance to tow
4. Promoters/track reputation
5. Fine print

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post