Find
Notify
Tools

Watch the cops
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
The only 2 times I was stopped, the officer looked at the tag/sticker on trailer itself, and saw the GVW @9900 lbs. and said I was good to go, on 1 st one, 2nd one actually had me pull up on scales, to verify my weight. I was still good...
Both did tell me, that that sticker was almost the first thing they looked at as they walked up to your door.
They both looked inside, and saw I had triangle kits, flares and fire extinguisher inside, and how my fuel (4)jugs were secured.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a CDL (in georgia a non commercial CDL)...

Ugh? A non-commercial commercial drivers license? HMMMM

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Please post the non commercial info for Georgia . The only non commercial in ga I knew of was a waiver / class b non for firetrucks or emergency equipment or farm . I have never seen a issued class a non commercial license in ga that would be interesting to see .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Please post the non commercial info for Georgia . The only non commercial in ga I knew of was a waiver / class b non for firetrucks or emergency equipment or farm . I have never seen a issued class a non commercial license in ga that would be interesting to see .

https://dds.georgia.gov/license-classes

Look at “E” in particular

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to get one ? If so let us know how it works out .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Are you trying to get one ? If so let us know how it works out .

I will give you a call when I find out the details. I called the DOT today to discuss it with them, but each person I talked to did not know what they were talking about and kept having to transfer me up the line. I left a voice message that I am sure wont be answered for 5 business days.

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have been watching cops for years.Watched a lot of them write on paper and ask for my autograph.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
This is all about what state you live in. My state DOES NOT REQUIRE a CDL for recreational use. Period. Ive been to the State police and asked very clearly and was told NO, I didn't need it. And other states CAN NOT enforce their laws on out of state drivers for this. The IRS is clear. If you file your winnings on 1099 forms, you are not a commercial for profit enterprise.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
^^^^This

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Have been watching cops for years.Watched a lot of them write on paper and ask for my autograph.LOL

Yes Indeed. I remember one time being told...Press hard son, you're making 7 copies...lol

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IRS is clear. If you file your winnings on 1099 forms, you are not a commercial for profit enterprise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUH ? Income is reported via a 1099....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC4400:
This is all about what state you live in. My state DOES NOT REQUIRE a CDL for recreational use. Period. Ive been to the State police and asked very clearly and was told NO, I didn't need it. And other states CAN NOT enforce their laws on out of state drivers for this. The IRS is clear. If you file your winnings on 1099 forms, you are not a commercial for profit enterprise.

RIP

I would not hang my hat on any of that traveling out of your state. Is what you are saying that you can drive anything.....without exception without a CDL as long as you report your winnings on a 1099? So you bring your tax forms along with you and you get no ticket? I must be misreading what you are saying.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
The IRS is clear. If you file your winnings on 1099 forms, you are not a commercial for profit enterprise.

That may be true until you write off any expenses associated with those winnings.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So….. if you have to have a commercial license to haul your race car around, then you will have to have and keep a log book for any trip over 100 miles. Not to mention the timeout rules etc. etc. this can be a big can of worms, and the tickets can just keep on coming, not to mention safety inspections, getting parked. list goes on and on.

Posts: 79 | Location: myrtle point ore | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Case in point. Look what has happen to the horse transport industry. Even hauling Hay. It's a good read. You can ask 10 questions and get 100 different answers. Federal Guide lines. Vs States interpretations.

http://protecttheharvest.com/2...-the-horse-industry/

And a little more..

https://doubleamt0197.wordpres...racing-rigs-and-you/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savoyracer:
So….. if you have to have a commercial license to haul your race car around, then you will have to have and keep a log book for any trip over 100 miles. Not to mention the timeout rules etc. etc. this can be a big can of worms, and the tickets can just keep on coming, not to mention safety inspections, getting parked. list goes on and on.

I did all of that stuff for several years. This year I went to a bigger, longer truck with air brakes and threw all of that stuff out the window. Just because it has RV plates.

Not that I think that is right, but it is what it is.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I did all of that stuff for several years. This year I went to a bigger, longer truck with air brakes and threw all of that stuff out the window. Just because it has RV plates.

that's interesting.....I have a 5 yard , single Axle Dumptruck, under 26'000 gross weight, with Hydraulic brakes. We use it in our business. No CDL required. If, that same truck had air brakes, then CDL required! and all the BS that goes with it.

Posts: 79 | Location: myrtle point ore | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

that's interesting.....I have a 5 yard , single Axle Dumptruck, under 26'000 gross weight, with Hydraulic brakes. We use it in our business. No CDL required. If, that same truck had air brakes, then CDL required! and all the BS that goes with it.

It's your vehicle, but that doesn't sound correct to me and I can't find anything to confirm it. Your state's website has a simple flowchart to determine what level CDL you may need, and air brakes are not mentioned:

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DM...DriverID/CDLget.aspx

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That may be true until you write off any expenses associated with those winnings.

Which I never do. And from what my tax lady tells me, writing off on a hobby has been ended for 2018 filings anyway?

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We could start a tax thread to discuss taxes and racing....and probably should.
But the subject was going that way because of CDL related to taxes.
How does that get hashed out at the side of the road? Do they ask for tax forms? What if there are none to produce? Because you don't have winnings....or tax forms with you? CDL or not? Will they demand tax forms if you have a hearing?
I understand that authorities have brought taxes into the conversation when a CDL is in question. But how does that work?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post