Find
Notify
Tools

Watch the cops
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
At what point do you need a CDL?

Our delivery driver was making a pickup the other day with our 1 ton pickup and gooseneck trailer. Everything went fine until some road debris damaged a taillight, driver pulled off in a parking lot, repaired the light the best he could to get back, headed in to the shop and got stopped by the highway police for defective taillight. Then they cited him for a laundry list of crap including no CDL, no med card, and all of the related garbage that goes along with it.

Truck's GVWR is 13200 and the trailer's GVWR is 18270. Those are the stickers on the door tag and the trailer respectively. That puts us over 26,001 obviously, so they felt the need to write us up. The actual weight of the load was 14,370, but I guess the actual doesn't matter?

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
Yep he needs a CDL and medical card. Every thing is based on gross weight ratings. Still would've needed CDL even if empty.

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Yep 26.001 rule. You run a DOT#? They didn't pull him to the scales did they? 14.370 was just the product its self? Make sure the tags are correct on both vehicles also. 2 years ago they were and still are writing guys up for over the #10.000 rule for no DOT #. Just pulling their boats on a 2 axle trailer.Combined they are over the 10.000 rule.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Make sure the tags are correct on both vehicles also. 2 years ago they were and still are writing guys up for over the #10.000 rule for no DOT #. Just pulling their boats on a 2 axle trailer.Combined they are over the 10.000 rule.

What state was this in? A 1500 truck with a dragcar on an open trailer is over 10k#.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Make sure the tags are correct on both vehicles also. 2 years ago they were and still are writing guys up for over the #10.000 rule for no DOT #. Just pulling their boats on a 2 axle trailer.Combined they are over the 10.000 rule.

What state was this in? A 1500 truck with a dragcar on an open trailer is over 10k#.

The 10,000 lb rule is the trailer weight rating. If the trailer GVWR is over 10K, a CDL is required even if the combination is under 26K.

That is federal; not a state law.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
quote:

The 10,000 lb rule is the trailer weight rating. If the trailer GVWR is over 10K, a CDL is required even if the combination is under 26K.

That’s why my trailer is rated 9990 lbs

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That’s why my trailer is rated 9990 lbs That’s why my trailer is rated 9990 lbs

You spent the extra money for heavier axles, tires, wheels, etc, but can't use them to their capabilities? Eh, it's your money, so rock on.

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can’t pull a trailer with a sticker over 10K without a CDL even if its for rec use?

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
You can’t pull a trailer with a sticker over 10K without a CDL even if its for rec use?

No...

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is good to know. My trailer is 9600 gvwr and uses 4800# torsion axles and rides nice when loaded to just under 7k#. It is licensed for 10k#. If ever stopped I’d tell them I race for trophies and ribbons. No stickers on the car and no big winner checks in the trailer (still working on getting one of those).

Here’s another question. I carry five - 5 gallon jugs of methanol and 7.5 gallons of gasoline in 2 containers. All containers are marked and securely anchored in the trailer. Anything not legal with this?

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is good to know. My trailer is 9600 gvwr and uses 4800# torsion axles and rides nice when loaded to just under 7k#. It is licensed for 10k#. If ever stopped I’d tell them I race for trophies and ribbons. No stickers on the car and no big winner checks in the trailer (still working on getting one of those).

Here’s another question. I carry five - 5 gallon jugs of methanol and 7.5 gallons of gasoline in 2 containers. All containers are marked and securely anchored in the trailer. Anything not legal with this?

Others are saying that even if it is recreational and not for hire.... that the CDL regulations still apply (even if racing for fun and trophies)

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This is the reason I didn't buy a triple axle. Seems like that is an automatic.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Number of axles has nothing to do with it . The gvwr of the axles combined that exceed 10k is the key . If you have 2 axles with a 5200lb rating each that is 10400 combined . Cdl required .

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That’s why my trailer is rated 9990 lbs That’s why my trailer is rated 9990 lbs

You spent the extra money for heavier axles, tires, wheels, etc, but can't use them to their capabilities? Eh, it's your money, so rock on.

I didn't spend any extra money for higher rated stuff.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Number of axles has nothing to do with it . The gvwr of the axles combined that exceed 10k is the key . If you have 2 axles with a 5200lb rating each that is 10400 combined . Cdl required .

The automatic assumption with three axles is that it is rated for over 10k. And let's face it...if you get weighed with most 3 axle trailers with much anything in it, you are over 10k.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
According to DOT in the state of Georgia the appropriate license is required to operate a vehicle with a GVWR over 26K or to pull a trailer with a GVWR over 10K REGARDLESS of the use of that vehicle. It does not matter if it is for recreational use and not commercial use, if the trailer has a sticker for over 10K then technically the appropriate license is required

According to DOT in Georgia the law is not often enforced, but that does not stop them from enforcing if it they feel like being a pain in the rear that day

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are plenty good. Allowed up to 440 lbs of fuel in containers 8 gallons or less without requiring hazmat.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I guess you could use 14" tires and think you are tricking the popo also

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if the trailer's ACTUAL total weight is 1000 lbs or 100,000. If the RATING (the R in GVWR) of the trailer is over 10K, you need a CDL. Or if the GCVWR (combined trailer and truck) is over 26,000, you need a CDL.

Now I have a good friend who just bought a trailer that has dual 5200lb axles, and a GVWR of 10000. To legally tow his race car to the track once every 2 years, he needs a CDL per written laws.

Kinda makes me glad I have the little 3500 lb axles in mine even though it will affect it's resale, though I am not planning on selling it anytime in the near future.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not only should you watch the cops, you should watch your insurance company

If you get into an accident and your GVWR of the trailer is above 10K and you do not have a CDL (in georgia a non commercial CDL)... then your insurance company may not cover your or any of the damages since you did not have the proper license.

thank you for this topic, it made me do some research and digging