DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    '12 Corvette electrical question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'12 Corvette electrical question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
In the power distribution system in the engine compartment there is a fuel pump relay but also a fuel pump fuse. Why both? I have elementary enough understanding that a fuse prevents an amperage overload.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The relay is the “switch” so to speak that actually sends power to the pump. The fuse like you said provides protection against an over draw of current due to whatever problem may occur.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wooley thanks. Not that I need an explanation, but I understand, say, you put a relay on your headlights so all the power doesn't run through the dash switch. Since there is no such switch for a fuel pump (on a passenger car) I'm assuming the low current side is for the computer.?

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The control for the relay is the ecm. In other words the ecm is the switch for the relay.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks, appreciate you taking the time!