DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Add on backup camera for a 2012 Equinox
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Add on backup camera for a 2012 Equinox
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted
So I want to get an add on backup camera for my 17 year old daughters Chevy Equinox. There are 100's of them out there, and all have mixed reviews.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I got one that is integrated into a license plate frame, worked fine.

Does the head unit have a spare input for a camera or are you trying to replace what is already there?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
She has no display. Was thinking of adding it to the rearview mirror or a separate monitor.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
They make stand alone systems, but does she have room for it? Have never used one built into the rear view mirror.

It is strange going from a car/truck that has a backup camera to one that doesn't......

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You still have to use your side mirrors!

Saw a Co worker rely on the back up camera to back up into a driveway. Dented and scratched his truck with only 4,000 miles on it.

Rubbed against a brick light stand in the driveway.

Just letting you know.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of victo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
So I want to get an add on backup camera for my 17 year old daughters Chevy Equinox. There are 100's of them out there, and all have mixed reviews.

Does anyone have suggestions?
I will look at the brand on the ambulance at work it works great

2012 West Coast Pro Gas E/Gas Champion

Posts: 523 | Location: Novato | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Victo, any luck? I still don’t see a clear winner to go with.

Rob Robertson

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Rob, not to step on your thread , but.... I have a friend looking for a new car his daughter and the Equinox is on the top of his list. But he has not gotten any first hand word of mouth on this one... could you give him any info on it so I could pass it on ?

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
No worries. We love the Equinox. It's bigger than a Civic or Elantra, which I see a lot of kids in. We felt a little bigger was a little safer. Ours gets great mileage and has a lot of leg room. My wife is 6'2" and my daughter is 6'1", so that was important.

Be careful with some of the earlier year models (2010, 2011, and some 2012) with the 4 cylinder engines. They were known to have an oil consumption problem and have a recall out and will re-ring the motors, if needed. Ours is a 2012 and we have not seen the problem, but it only has 80k on it.

Rob Robertson

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Is he getting it for a young driver?

The best thing we did for our daughter is the "Life 360" app. It is great for tracking her speed, whereabouts, if she uses her phone while driving, rapid accelerations, and hard braking.

Rob Robertson