New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum pump
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just put my car on alky and its milking the crap out of my oil so im ordering a vacuum pump,just curious does it speed you up at all?

Posts: 4 | Location: greensboro north carolina | Registered: December 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Same engine with or without a vac pump? No real difference.

Not that a vac pump is a bad idea, but you should also fix the carb. I have a vac pump on my dragster, but have been running my Nova on alky since 2000 without one and milking the oil is not a problem.

The oil doesn't look quite as good as the dragster with vac pump and Primer Plus, but nothing that is a problem.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
How hot do you get the motor before putting the car away. I have be told you should get the engine temp over 200' before shutting down for the day. this helps to get the moisture out of the oil.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If your milking the oil your tune up is too rich, it could be at WOT or Idle or both. Fix that first.

Adding a vac pump is worth 25 to 30 HP on a 900 HP motor on the dyno. In car would be a little less based on the added HP due to the weight added from the pump. Still a good idea to add even with any added performance since it does help evac the crankcase and also reduces oil leaks!

If you have a header evac deal now, the do two things, trailer the car when hot and remove the header vac lines from the valve cover to let the motor breath until your ready to race again. By doing this is give some of the water vapor a chance to get out before it condenses back to water in the motor.

Assuming you have a normal sized radiator, at idle the motor should slowly gain temp, meaning you need the fan on to keep it from getting too hot, if you can idle a long while without it getting hot your idle circuit is too rich.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yes, if it is milking the oil it is too rich most likely at idle and low RPM. If it is a carb you can lean it down to where it will not milk the oil and it will use a WHOLE LOT LESS FUEL. Idle mixture can make a difference between 2 gallons a pass and less than a gallon. Also it will warm up much faster and no milking of the oil.

One thing to be careful of is the idle mixture does not adjust to the air like the rest of the carb does so if you have it tuned so it does not use much fuel, warms up quick and does not milk the oil when you get really good air then it may stumble and spit at the hit. You must fatten it up as weather gets better.

Also one really big thing I have always done is to lean it out and get water temp way up at the end of the day. Alcohol "boils" at around 180 and lower than that in a vacuum. So you get water temp up around 210 and let it run for a few minutes the oil clears right up. Oil temperature is important as discussed in another thread here and getting the moisture out is one of the reasons for that.

A vacuum pump will help but if you are fat you are still going to have milking if it is too fat. From my experience most of the milking is at idle or low RPM.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post