DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SUPREME COURT RULES ON INTERNET STATE SALES TAX
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUPREME COURT RULES ON INTERNET STATE SALES TAX
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
Congress has been trying to pass an Internet Sales Tax (misnamed the "Marketplace Fairness Act") for years, and has failed. Now instead of doing it through legislation, the Supreme Court opens up the back door...

quote:
There are now 10,814 different sales tax jurisdictions in the United States

The easy/practical way would be to charge & collect based on the seller's location rather than the customer.

Amazon already collects sales tax in every State, for its direct sales.

The patchwork of thousands of tax jurisdictions would get even muddier because some states would have loopholes for small business, for example, "South Dakota is passing a law requiring the collection of sales tax on Internet vendors with at least 200 yearly transactions or $100,000 in sales to its residents."

...if you're around that threshold, you still have to keep track of everything just in case you go over. And then other States will have different levels. It's a compliance nightmare.

It sounds to me like it probably takes a lot of tax payers dollars to run organizations that regulate and keep track of these tax payers dollars....

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
So, how do we get the supreme court to change their ruling?

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
In California the sales tax varies from City to City, living in Oregon (where there is no State Sales tax) is beginning to look more and more attractive as a place to live.

All our kids are exploring other places to live, several have already move out of California with no plans to ever return. The Politicians here are far more interested in supporting illegal emigrants than protecting the Rights of legal citizens. To support that they have taxed us into near poverty since we live on fixed incomes. It takes two months of my income to just pay our annual Property Tax, now they want to abolish the Jarvis/Gann Prop 13 and double that Tax. That bankrupts us in the first year.

This State is going to Hell in a hand basket at the speed of light. I can't see any way that my wife and I can afford to live here much longer. I want to sell our home while it still has some value because very soon it won't.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
You are so right, Bob. As soon as my son move his business out of CA I will be gone too.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's truly disheartening to hear you guy have been run out of your "homes", but I have been wondering for a long time why you took the insane abuse year after year.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I was born here and lived here all my life except when I was in the army. I'm better off than a lot of people cause I own my home and don't owe anything. I get enough SSA to cover property tax and insurance and live well enough. But I could live better in another state.
Sell the race truck, buy a bass boat and move to Branson, MO.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sell the race truck, buy a bass boat and move to Branson, MO.

You Da Man

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We stayed here because our entire Family lived here, all 8 kids, six of whom are married plus their children and grandchildren (20). Eventually it became impossible to keep our Family together because of the ridiculous increase in the cost of living here. We pay nearly $4 for a gallon of regular gas, my 2014 car, 2009 truck and my 1995 motor home registrations are more than $1,000 a year and my property tax is $3700 (it’s about to go to $6800 if they repeal our Prop 13), that property tax alone will be 45% of my annual income. The State can asses your property value so they inflated that figure, then Tax you on that number, my new Tax bill will be around $6,800 a year. To add insult to injury you add in the local State Sales Tax (8.75%). Even if I had no house payment I could not afford to live here and pay the property tax.

We are looking at options on where to go, for the moment East Texas, Arizona, Mississippi and Oregon are on our radar but we are open to ideas, California is not one of them. All our neighbors are in the same boat, all are looking to move. Small Businesses everywhere are closing, shopping malls are dying so the Tax base is eroding. We all expect our taxes to substantially increase in the coming year, especially for anyone living near the Mexican Border, which is only 27 miles away. At the present rate California will soon become “North Mexico”, the population now is more than 50% Hispanic and 80% Democrats.

Mexico always claimed that the United States stole California from them, they are getting it back one Illegal at a time and the Democrats here are getting one more vote one Illegal at a time.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Our only salvation is to vote the right way in November and pray our new officials will rally for us.