DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SUPREME COURT RULES ON INTERNET STATE SALES TAX
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUPREME COURT RULES ON INTERNET STATE SALES TAX
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted
If you buy a lot on the internet looks like you will be paying more.......read this

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...ernet-merchants.html

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well, it truly is unfair now. Brick and mortar businesses are burdened with the sales taxes making them less competitive. Plus, here they are in communities supporting them through property taxes and hopefully being great members of and employers in the communities.
Meanwhile, the online sales see none of these burdens. It should be the same for both types of business. Either neither of them collect sales tax or both do.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Maybe i missed something but how is it not fair when everyone pays ? This changes it so all sales internet or local are taxed ....

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just provides another revenue stream for the state.

Which they will waste.. Or give away in raises to union to get re-elected..

Anything to slow the economy.. Tax increases do not spur growth..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No sales tax in Oregon.... Uncontrollable Laugh

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

My argument isn't FOR taxes Dave. It should just be the same for all. If online sales aren't taxed...no sales ought to be taxed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bucky , and it helps some by leveling the playing field slightly for small retailers .... how many times have I heard "I can get it on the internet and not pay sales tax"

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

My argument isn't FOR taxes Dave. It should just be the same for all. If online sales aren't taxed...no sales ought to be taxed.

My argument is the government shouldn't be in the business to regulate every thing possible.

I stopped buying 99% of my parts from Summit (and I love Summit), because they are now charging me sales tax. And Prior to opening their new warehouse in TX I bought 99% from them.

So the government whether fed, state or local will kill business in their attempt to make it fair.

Nothing say's the brick and mortar stores can't do the same. Which if you think of it most internet sales also have stores someplace.

It's the states that are not getting their piece of the pie that will profit from it.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
I agree with Bucky , and it helps some by leveling the playing field slightly for small retailers .... how many times have I heard "I can get it on the internet and not pay sales tax"

Small retailers will always be small retailers (most of the time) unless they can come up with something that is a must have in some way.

It is a level playing field now. Who said the small retailer can't branch out into internet sales?

I have a friend who started his own business and never had an in stock item. Everything was drop shipped. So anyone can get into internet sails.

Another friend started an internet business selling through Amazon. She pretty much makes her products to order as they are sold.

Will the additional paperwork/regulations cause them to lose profitability and shut down?

And for the record, I agree with Bucky as well... NO sales should be taxed...LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
covey you must have a "thing" for union workers considering only 11% of americans work in a union shop......or are you just mad at anyone/everyone that makes more than you??

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
At work, we run into sales tax issues all the time. We are a registered business in MD and in FL. A business must have a MD or FL resale certificate to be exempt from sales tax.

We have out of state businesses that drop ship to both states and customers out of the country that want us to ship to freight forwarders in Florida. The rules are a little crazy.

Don't forget the Florida surtax for different areas. Quite complicated.

It would be much easier if they made it all purchases are taxed or none. Then comes the question of at what rate is one taxed?

In MD it's called "sales and use tax," one is supposed to claim their online purchases and pay tax on them for using them in this state.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
David, love to see both sides, thanks for your post.....No Tax is the best deal for sure...

Right

I stopped buying 99% of my parts from Summit (and I love Summit), because they are now charging me sales tax. And Prior to opening their new warehouse in TX I bought 99% from them.

David, I buy all my parts form a local brick and mortar , can't get better service if I break something he will deliver to the track, he has done this more times than most can count, he does this for all the racing community

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J178RED,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scarab1999:
covey you must have a "thing" for union workers considering only 11% of americans work in a union shop......or are you just mad at anyone/everyone that makes more than you??

Yes. I do have a thing for unions. Couple of thing actually..

I'm originally from a small town, where one big plant a GM foundry was the major employer. Seemed like every year or so the uaw would go on strike for better everything they could get. Each time they improved their standing in life and every time they made more, the cost of gas, food, rent and everything else in town went up because it could...
Second reason, I worked for RCA when I was 17, FORCED to join a union if I wanted to keep my job. Fortunately I hated the fact I was basically locked inside a building and dictated to as to when I could take a piss, so I quit.

From that time I was a mechanic, non union. No unions for wrench turners. I made good money as I was one of the most sought after mechanics in the area at the time. Got tired of working for the public, so went in the Army for a serious reduction in pay.

I figure it's pretty sad that 11% try to tell the place they work what they must provide, or they will shut the place down.

As to being mad at anyone who makes more than I.. LMFAO, I retired at 52 and I'm 66 now.. All accomplished without the help of the brotherhood..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

David, I buy all my parts form a local brick and mortar , can't get better service if I break something he will deliver to the track, he has done this more times than most can count, he does this for all the racing community

I don't have that option here, as none are close.. Guess I could drive to Mesquite and buy at the Summit store..lol 3+ hours.

We used to have a guy out of Tyler, TX that raced with us that would bring parts to the track.. But they closed down and Joe quit racing.

I love brick and mortar stores. I can put my hands on it and bring it home..

Dave

DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I think all the online retailers should take a page out of the states rule book. They should charge each state an administrative fee to cover the additional work now required.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
There are now 10,814 different sales tax jurisdictions in the United States

Which means that every small business that are run on the internet, now have to have a relationship with every one of these tax districts, and have to make reports to everyone of them.

Brick and mortar stores have max of 2 state and/or city

Now this makes life easy for online giants like Amazon...the online competition from start up retailers just went down to over regulation on start ups.

All your racing friends that have online businesses just got screwed. Ebay sales will be next. Racingjunk will be gone after...selling your own stuff will need tax collection too.

The court just made these guys tax collectors for the entire system and don't make a penny for all their labor.

But if you think that is OK....

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if you think that is OK...

The only thing I don't think is ok is for local sales to be subject to taxes while online are not. All over the country, local entities are asking for local sales tax increases due to the loss of local businesses. So the burden goes further on these businesses and local consumers and tax payers. All while online gets amnesty from sales tax, making their product more attractive and affordable. That's not ok. We have all enjoyed buying race car parts and other things tax free online. But it isn't right, nor is it healthy for local economies.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe that if they're going instate the online sales tax, it should be a flat rate for everyone. Just my opinion. That might help make the record keeping a little bit easier-especially for small companies and/or sole proprietorships. The reason I mention this is because it's not easy for a small company to keep up with every single buyer's location and their state, county, and city sales taxes.

I see it as a double edged sword. Yes prices will likely increase...for everyone, online or brick & mortar. But do these taxes actually benefit "US", the taxpayers? Or are we just the brunt of the shafting once again? They seem to do a great job of spending our tax money unwisely already...a few billion more to spend in ways that won't benefit anyone? Why not put it into social security, or benefits for disabled vets...something like that?

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
So if you sell to another state you are now burdened to collect and distribute the collected tax? And keep up with how many different jurisdictions, and how many different tax rates? Here sales tax is different in every town---that's right every town---and none of them are the same. This is opening up a can of worms for sure.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Congress has been trying to pass an Internet Sales Tax (misnamed the "Marketplace Fairness Act") for years, and has failed. Now instead of doing it through legislation, the Supreme Court opens up the back door...

quote:
There are now 10,814 different sales tax jurisdictions in the United States

The easy/practical way would be to charge & collect based on the seller's location rather than the customer.

Amazon already collects sales tax in every State, for its direct sales.

The patchwork of thousands of tax jurisdictions would get even muddier because some states would have loopholes for small business, for example, "South Dakota is passing a law requiring the collection of sales tax on Internet vendors with at least 200 yearly transactions or $100,000 in sales to its residents."

...if you're around that threshold, you still have to keep track of everything just in case you go over. And then other States will have different levels. It's a compliance nightmare.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post