New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Thompson
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Was on the Mickey Thompson drag tire site and noticed they are not listing a lot the tire sizes they had last year. Anyone else see this or heard anything?

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I heard Goodyear bought them , and in usual Goodyear fashion . they will screw them up for sure ...

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Industry wide shortages of inventory, materials, manpower. From Medium and Heavy Duty trucks to industrial, off-road, equipment, and agriculture, tires are near impossible to stock.
Pray you don't need a 235/80R22.5 (245/75R22.5) for your motorcoach....or a 265/75R22.5 for your expedited freight truck.

Cooper bought M/T, Goodyear bought Cooper, who knows where that will end up?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1601 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No issues getting my Hoosier tires 3 weeks ago nor the four 22.5" Michelin's I just put on my Motorhome.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
I heard Goodyear bought them , and in usual Goodyear fashion . they will screw them up for sure ...

Unfortunately like the competition buy ups, it will suffer even though MT showed them how to fix a fuel tire.

I hope it works out for the guys who run them.
I’m extremely happy with my R/9”H and our H18705.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rumor seems to be that Goodyear is promising to let M/T do their thing as normal. Not sure what the advantage of buying them was if that were really true.

I spoke to M/T this week, and they said they skinny'ed down their offerings because of rubber shortages. I have no idea of how true that is, but it's what they said. They indicated that the other selections would eventually return to their offerings. But not for months at least.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6358 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Rumor seems to be that Goodyear is promising to let M/T do their thing as normal. Not sure what the advantage of buying them was if that were really true.

I spoke to M/T this week, and they said they skinny'ed down their offerings because of rubber shortages. I have no idea of how true that is, but it's what they said. They indicated that the other selections would eventually return to their offerings. But not for months at least.

They're now a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire. Even though the name says MT the money still goes to GoodYear. Sometimes the best thing to do is have 2 rival companies under the same umbrella. That way the rivalry actually fuels profit under the umbrella.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately like the competition buy ups, it will suffer even though MT showed them how to fix a fuel tire.

Maybe GY could show MT how to make drag slicks that don’t leak.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lots of M/T part number's on the chopping block.

The part number's they sell a lot of, aren't on the list.

Trimming the fat.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Both MT tires I like have been cut this year. They said only the best sellers are being built for now. The ones I run have been on backorder every time I've tried to get them the last couple years but I guess that doesn't mean it is a good seller.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hoosier tire covers a lot of tire sizes. They seem to not leak air while sitting. Also with in the same tire size they offer different compounds. Someone there knows a compound recommended for said application. If M/T is not available I am pretty sure Hoosier will have it covered. Also looks like Goodyear has tire sizes available that went away from the M/T tire production sheet.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I have three cars on Hoosier 32 x 14 CO5. They do not leak and perform as expected [consistent]. All these cars are in the 6.0 1/8 mile ET range.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I normally run either MT 32x16 or 33x15. I also have a set of the Hoosier 18372 33x15. A good tire just not as consistent on my car. Maybe as simple as needing the car setup different for the Hoosier. I ran them for about a month and just never got the same consistency as the MT's

My car has been in the shop since September with MT's and still full of air. The last couple years they seem better but I do soap them.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hoosiers statement
https://www.facebook.com/photo...=gm.2126059097547713

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6358 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
[QUOTE][QUOTE]

Maybe GY could show MT how to make drag slicks that don’t leak.

and In turn m/T can show Goodyear how to make a sportsman tire that hooks on something with a 60' under 1.05 ....

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Goodyear already has that tire, just ask Pete Biondo.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Goodyear already has that tire, just ask Pete Biondo.

Ed, then they have done a really great job keeping it a secret! A local TD racer has been receiving free tires from GY for a number of years, all failures! On the same day, puts his Big Bubbas back on and goes right down Broadway! At the Lebanon Divisonal last year one of my friends tried a set of free GY's on his TD car, 1.02 to .990 typical 60's, one word - "NOPE". GY has not made a good tire fast sportsman tire since they changed the old 2032's about 15 to 20 years ago. I'd also add the Peter's setup has something to do with it also meaning his car is capable of going faster than the way he races it...

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, just reporting what I see with my own eyes. Pete's been running Goodyears forever and winning forever on Goodyear tires which are on both his older Ractech and new Racetech dragsters.

That said, you know there are a lot of racers out there who's cars don't work but think it does because they turn on a win light occasionally.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed

I agree 100% and also with regards to any product, comparisons of these products with anyone of Peter's status/talent etc. is useless. He and others like him can win with anything, in anything.

Also with my own eyes, the TD racer who tried the GY's at Lebanon that just did another burnout on the starting line, he and his car won a D1 TD championship with MT's. And honestly that's sad because GY has the HP to do the R&D and develop a good tire but have failed over and over for years. In addition I know a number of racers who were very loyal to GY but just couldn't be any longer due to the issues they had with GY tires. Even free costs you money when they let you down.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post