Notify
Tools

Pro Stock
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Business 101, give the paying customer what they want.
Unfortunately for us (bracket racers) we are NOT it.
The paying fans want to see fast, side by side, explosions and crashes i.e. excitement.
Not 2 8 second Super stockers pulling wheelies or cars shutting off on the starting line then miraculously taking off again and the WORSE thing to watch is how one car gets a starting line advantage while the other car just sits there but then all of a sudden takes off to try and catch the other guy.

I know I might get flamed for this.. But I'll say it.. Fans like noise and unpredictability!

I run in a nostalgia series. Its pro-tree index racing, but most of us in my class are blown. Doorcars, Front Engine Dragsters, and Altereds Fans love to come watch the cars that make noise, shake the tires (once in a while), and first to the finish line (at least in their eyes). We aren't even going that fast.. (7.00's and 7.50's). Its not exactly a pro mod vs. fuel altered show!

Point I'm making is, in a fans eyes, hearing a blower car doing a long burnout, watching a girl back them up, a couple whacks on the throttle, and the tree coming down at the same time, is what they came to see.. Yes, a single carb'd rear engine dragster can be faster, but there just isn't the same amount of appeal.

Bracket racing is usually only fun for the guy doing it.. and I love to bracket race!

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Many get it and Mr Ticket's post is dead on.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the more of the three ring circus it is the better. Show pretty girls while keeping it family friendly. Some extra drama keeps the facebook crowd actually looking. And keep the show short enough that most people can, and are willing to commit the time to attend.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Well, I will hand it to them, the Pro Stock show was enjoyable to watch. No Tony P! Smile No commercials playing while they are showing the burnouts and staging, it was a REAL show!

Luckily I setup my DVR to record the first airing AND the second one! Stupid-azz basketball killed half the show!

Looked really strange to see Jeggie up on the winners circle stage all by himself. I hope at some point that day (Sunday) that ALL three Pro winners were on the stage TOGETHER!

Will PS Bike be treated this same way?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Well, I will hand it to them, the Pro Stock show was enjoyable to watch. No Tony P! Smile No commercials playing while they are showing the burnouts and staging, it was a REAL show!

Luckily I setup my DVR to record the first airing AND the second one! Stupid-azz basketball killed half the show!

Looked really strange to see Jeggie up on the winners circle stage all by himself. I hope at some point that day (Sunday) that ALL three Pro winners were on the stage TOGETHER!

Will PS Bike be treated this same way?

I agree Mike! Great show. I’m not into Fuel cars and I doubt I’ll watch another if the PS show continues. I hope they bring in the bikes also. I had my doubts but I was wrong!! I like it!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It seems like everyone is getting what they like. Most fans don't have to sit through the pro stock. And the guys who love pro stock don't have to watch the fuel cars. Nor do the pro stock guys have to share the stage with the fuel group.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And NO Tony P!

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
It's so exciting to watch a race where you know who won.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
It's so exciting to watch a race where you know who won.

Yeah, that's an issue. But I will still watch tennis matches on TV that I recorded even though I know what the outcome is. Sometimes it's fun to see how it all happened. In Pro Stock, that usually means who got drilled at the tree to lose. So many of them run so close together that the starting line is the race!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots of valid points here but IMHO it is just NHRA throwing them another shovel to dig their own grave. It is nothing more than a rich guy club race for 4 engine builders held at the National events.
The ratings for a PS show days after the race will be poor. Adding PSM should add 2 more viewers though. Smile
Unfortunately PS is on life support and the plug has been pulled. It is just the wait until TOD.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post