Share |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Rear Steer
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
posted
How many of you have dialed in a little rear steer to fine tune your set up? Also approximant H.P. or E.T.?
 
Posts: 312 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
4 link, wish bone, no ARB, 700hp, 6.1x ET, 2846# with a 7.20 SLR. When my car picked the wheels up years ago I had 2 flats of rear steer to make it straight. The rear steer is still in the car with 3 flats of positive preload. I haven’t had the car 4 corner scaled in over 10 years and yesterday at the track a friend scaled just the rear corners for me. With driver, 639# left, 641# right.

Look at Tim McAmis chassis video. He’ll rear steer a car if going over 2 flats preload.
 
Posts: 2005 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of The Bozman
posted Hide Post
everything from a 5.80 door car to 4.30 door car and everything in-between, the car will tell you what you need


Keeping the Socialists and NEO-LIBERALS at bay with FACTS one post at a time !!!

Freedom isn't free !!! Thank a veteran, they will actually appreciate it.
 
Posts: 2487 | Location: Gilmer, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I switched my dragster from 4.70 bracket car to blown top dragster I had to add some rear steer once I turned up the power. It wanted to drive left at mid track
 
Posts: 1984 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's keep them coming. I have a 5.30 chassis door car but also helping out a friend with a 4.80 door car as well. His car is a different animal than mine. Too much preload tends to just bind the 4 link so rear steer with a more neutral preload is what I am hearing the bigger power wants. Again keep the real world experience comments coming.
 
Posts: 312 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwrZ43sXRE


O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on 3 decades of on track proven performance

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis



 
Posts: 12078 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Rietow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Thanks for the reply's keep them coming. I have a 5.30 chassis door car but also helping out a friend with a 4.80 door car as well. His car is a different animal than mine. Too much preload tends to just bind the 4 link so rear steer with a more neutral preload is what I am hearing the bigger power wants. Again keep the real world experience comments coming.


All you need to comprehend is the phenomenon steering the car left or right at the hit or down track, once the engine is at full power (boost or nitrous progressed) in contrast to a pro stocker the clutch is released at high rpm (full power).

The phenomenon for low hp cars is rear end rotation, rearend rotation controls the dynamics of the chassis, cars typically go right.

High HP cars (1100-1200hp and up), engine torque rotation controls chassis dynamics and lowers the IC, putting more traction on the right rear tire causing the car to go left.

Neutral pre-load dog tracking (crooked rearend setting) steers the car by the high pressure air (drag) down the side of the car which is in the high pressure air.

So if the driver side of the car is out in the high pressure air dog tracking, the car is being pushed right looking from the back of the car, no matter how much the right rear tire is trying to steer the car left.

"Sailing one down through there"


https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

http://ottm.store

https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 Super Pro Champion Sunshine Dragstrip, Clearwater Florida
 
Posts: 8846 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Thanks for the reply's keep them coming. I have a 5.30 chassis door car but also helping out a friend with a 4.80 door car as well. His car is a different animal than mine. Too much preload tends to just bind the 4 link so rear steer with a more neutral preload is what I am hearing the bigger power wants. Again keep the real world experience comments coming.


All you need to comprehend is the phenomenon steering the car left or right at the hit or down track, once the engine is at full power (boost or nitrous progressed) in contrast to a pro stocker the clutch is released at high rpm (full power).

The phenomenon for low hp cars is rear end rotation, rearend rotation controls the dynamics of the chassis, cars typically go right.

High HP cars (1100-1200hp and up), engine torque rotation controls chassis dynamics and lowers the IC, putting more traction on the right rear tire causing the car to go left.

Neutral pre-load dog tracking (crooked rearend setting) steers the car by the high pressure air (drag) down the side of the car which is in the high pressure air.

So if the driver side of the car is out in the high pressure air dog tracking, the car is being pushed right looking from the back of the car, no matter how much the right rear tire is trying to steer the car left.

"Sailing one down through there"


That is the dumbest thing I have ever wasted my time reading. Not a lot of " high pressure air" leaving the starting line....
 
Posts: 105 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Rietow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Thanks for the reply's keep them coming. I have a 5.30 chassis door car but also helping out a friend with a 4.80 door car as well. His car is a different animal than mine. Too much preload tends to just bind the 4 link so rear steer with a more neutral preload is what I am hearing the bigger power wants. Again keep the real world experience comments coming.


All you need to comprehend is the phenomenon steering the car left or right at the hit or down track, once the engine is at full power (boost or nitrous progressed) in contrast to a pro stocker the clutch is released at high rpm (full power).

The phenomenon for low hp cars is rear end rotation, rearend rotation controls the dynamics of the chassis, cars typically go right.

High HP cars (1100-1200hp and up), engine torque rotation controls chassis dynamics and lowers the IC, putting more traction on the right rear tire causing the car to go left.

Neutral pre-load dog tracking (crooked rearend setting) steers the car by the high pressure air (drag) down the side of the car which is in the high pressure air.

So if the driver side of the car is out in the high pressure air dog tracking, the car is being pushed right looking from the back of the car, no matter how much the right rear tire is trying to steer the car left.

"Sailing one down through there"


That is the dumbest thing I have ever wasted my time reading. Not a lot of " high pressure air" leaving the starting line....


If the driver rear quarter is hanging out in the high pressure air, which way is the car being pushed, looking at it from the rear? Right or Left?

I covered positive and negative preload in discussing low and high HP cars at the beginning of my post, before commenting on what the OP intends to try next, neutral pre-load and a staggered rearend setting (crooked rearend).

If the OP is progressing nitrous/boost, it could be they're leaving the starting line with a low hp car chassis dynamic (rearend rotation). It's only a 4.80 car he's talking about.


https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

http://ottm.store

https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 Super Pro Champion Sunshine Dragstrip, Clearwater Florida
 
Posts: 8846 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of BP758
posted Hide Post
Never used it. Never had to? Haas
car. We make 1400 or a tad more, 2270, 650 inch DRCE2. Averages mid 4.30’s . Car is straight as an arrow. Guess we’ll see how it handles 1580-1600 soon.


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4267 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of The Bozman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Never used it. Never had to? Haas
car. We make 1400 or a tad more, 2270, 650 inch DRCE2. Averages mid 4.30’s . Car is straight as an arrow. Guess we’ll see how it handles 1580-1600 soon.


i bet it already has some rear steer in it, most Haas, Bickel, McAmmis and other fast doorcar builders 90% of the time put rear steer in their cars for fast ET's


Keeping the Socialists and NEO-LIBERALS at bay with FACTS one post at a time !!!

Freedom isn't free !!! Thank a veteran, they will actually appreciate it.
 
Posts: 2487 | Location: Gilmer, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Great link 1320racer as Tin Mc. makes a good overall view and also the cure. Mike Reitow also with the lower powered cars going right. The cars going right are what I am more familiar with. And a little positive to right upper and usually good to go. How about negative right upper bar preload making it just a little longer like 2 flats before or as opposed too rear steer, anyone have real world with that. Again thank you guys for chiming in and share any experiences you might have with this.
 
Posts: 312 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of BP758
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bozman:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Never used it. Never had to? Haas
car. We make 1400 or a tad more, 2270, 650 inch DRCE2. Averages mid 4.30’s . Car is straight as an arrow. Guess we’ll see how it handles 1580-1600 soon.


i bet it already has some rear steer in it, most Haas, Bickel, McAmmis and other fast doorcar builders 90% of the time put rear steer in their cars for fast ET's


Ben Watson set it up , it’s zero. All we do are shocks and anti roll bar setups. Maybe a flat or less..either way. Cars been flawless. It’s been fun learning track setups and the response. Great car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4267 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BP758 super cool. The Hass car that I am familiar with was early 2000's was a comp. eliminator 63 Corvette belonging to Phelps motorsports. 6.90 quarter mile car and do not remember 1/8 mile time. With a clutch it hade 1/4 stager at the wheel flange side to side. Thanks for sharing.
 
Posts: 312 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of BP758
posted Hide Post
Slickster, pm sent.


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4267 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
markemark, Sorry ment to reply to you earlier. Great job on giving the car what you think it needed. Shirt sleeves rolled up and you got after it. I would say you mastered it with the corner weights being like within a 1/2 of percent. And all that with no ARB. Thanks for sharing and sounds like that car has been good to you.
 
Posts: 312 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2023