DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Mandatory Drug Testing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory Drug Testing
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Arron1320
posted
Should there be mandatory drug/alcohol testing at big bucks races?

Question:
With the amount of money up for grabs do you think they should be testing?

Choices:
Yes random before first round
No I think it is an invasion of privacy
Yes but only for alcohol
Yes but only for performance enhancing drugs (riddlin)

Arron Spitzer
Quickperformance.com

Posts: 15 | Location: Ames, IA | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question:
With the amount of money up for grabs do you think they should be testing?

So you are only worried about the money and not the safety???

What is the cost for all this testing...you willing to pay for your own?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If people are racing for big bucks,that tells me they take it pretty seriously and would,most likely, be sober.
Racers competing at NHRA Divisional races that get $200 for reaching the semi-finals are the ones that should be tested.

Lol

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Is NHRA still testing at National events or was that scrapped to save money too along with many other things?
When they started I went several years without being tested and then was tested 3 times in about 6 races.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How about any incident on the grounds, on or off track, and you pi22? Under the influence and we are done with you forever.
I don't know what big bucks races have to do with anything unless you figure they are cheating with focus drugs.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Honestly, this isn't something that should be put on promoters. If this type of testing should occur, it should be done by the sanctioning body under which an individual races, or better yet, by the state licensing agency when a person acquires a drivers license.

As of yet, to my knowledge, there hasn't been a promoter or track sued due to an accident where drugs or alcohol have been suspected to have been involved.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Here is my opinion. I do not think it should be done unless there is a crash or fight or something like that to cause reason to question it.

If you go and do drug testing on everyone who pays for that? I tell you who pays for it we do! It will come out of entry or payouts but in the end we pay for it nothing is free.

Also some of the drug tests may take 2 weeks, what do you do? Make everyone take a drug test two weeks before the race? Wait until after drug tests are back two weeks after race before they payout? If you test before then what good does it do on race day? None. Do you think winners would want to wait two or three weeks or more for drug tests to come back before they get mailed the money? Not.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What does it have to do with it being a big buck event? How is it any different than a Friday night test and tune? Is the suggestion being that the driver's ability to compete is actually being enhanced ?! Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
This happened more then 30 years ago.
The timers malfunctioned during a round.
They called us back up for a re-run, my opponent was so juiced he had to lean on his car to stay on his feet. The track person ignored that and said we'd re-run.
My response, "I may have been lucky to survive the first go round he can have the round".
He went 2 rounds after that.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
My guess is the day you start drug testing at big money races is the day they really start to fade away. Hell you would lose 75% or more of the racers on grounds if alcohol and drugs weren't allowed on the grounds.

Posts: 71 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have been to tracks where I had to wait for the guy to finish his beer before we could run the final. What is drug testing going to do?

I'd rather see tracks actually tech cars and enforce safety gear. Promoters are so worried about car counts, no one bothers enforcing "rules" anymore.

Safety gear isn't a recommendation. Chassis certs, licensed drivers, general sanctioning body rules should always apply. Just because "it's a track rental" shouldn't matter.

Just my .02

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think it is pretty obvious that alcohol is the #1 culprit to sneak into the outcomes of smaller local races. If a racer can't stay out of the beer or whatever after paying $300-$700 for entry fees he is a fool and likely a first round loser.

I DO THINK the operators of these Big Money events need to focus more on the cars themselves, especially ignitions and data collection that could be "rewired" to create "slew rate" or engine acceleration programs and eliminate tire spin, bumps in the track causing issues and negate most weather changes.
I am pretty sure MSD makes a tester that plugs into the GRID and will show if the Slew Rate option is active. I also think ALL data recorders and sensors for that data should be unplugged or removed at these races that weekly are paying $20K, $50K and now $75K to $200K to win.

Simply, it would be the right thing to do if the promoters are going to make $50-$100K for a weekend off the customers (us racers). We should feel that the playing field is level. OR...just simply allow ANYTHING and see if that stirs it up a bit. Then you only need to check seat belts, helmet and normal tech issues.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I think it is pretty obvious that alcohol is the #1 culprit to sneak into the outcomes of smaller local races. If a racer can't stay out of the beer or whatever after paying $300-$700 for entry fees he is a fool and likely a first round loser.

I DO THINK the operators of these Big Money events need to focus more on the cars themselves, especially ignitions and data collection that could be "rewired" to create "slew rate" or engine acceleration programs and eliminate tire spin, bumps in the track causing issues and negate most weather changes.
I am pretty sure MSD makes a tester that plugs into the GRID and will show if the Slew Rate option is active. I also think ALL data recorders and sensors for that data should be unplugged or removed at these races that weekly are paying $20K, $50K and now $75K to $200K to win.

Simply, it would be the right thing to do if the promoters are going to make $50-$100K for a weekend off the customers (us racers). We should feel that the playing field is level. OR...just simply allow ANYTHING and see if that stirs it up a bit. Then you only need to check seat belts, helmet and normal tech issues.

Jok
Or just designate a spec ignition box like a 7AL2. Anyone paying $700 to enter can surely afford one. Very easy to police if there really is a problem.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Don't think any of this is in the near future. They can't even keep the buttons out of the foot brake cars. And any serious inspection just takes money away from the track or promoter. They don't care who wins or how they win it as long as they make a profit. Twice I have pointed out, once to a promoter and once to a track operator, an obvious infraction of the rules and neither time was anything done. So we just have to do the best we can with what we have got.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by excessive braker:
My guess is the day you start drug testing at big money races is the day they really start to fade away. Hell you would lose 75% or more of the racers on grounds if alcohol and drugs weren't allowed on the grounds.

Are you saying it’s a bigger issue than we think?

I don’t have anything against drinking and having a good time and there is nothing wrong with that while being responsible. Believe me I’ve served my apprenticeship! I do have an issue with anyone under the influence of anything in the other lane. Any association has the right to protect themselves and you. Imho...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
If people are racing for big bucks,that tells me they take it pretty seriously and would,most likely, be sober.
Racers competing at NHRA Divisional races that get $200 for reaching the semi-finals are the ones that should be tested.

Lol

^^ funny chit fight there! Not worthy For being crazy?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
By "riddlin" do we mean "Ritalin"?

LMAO

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Drug testing ? LMAO ....the tracks can't even get drivers to wear basic safety equipment .....

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'll be glad to test drugs for anyone Me too

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Drug testing ? LMAO ....the tracks can't even get drivers to wear basic safety equipment .....

That is a very good point. I am down for being against the drug testing but not because it is an invasion of privacy but because of cost and that just comes out of pay out in the end.
I would not be opposed to a rule where if you are in a crash or a fight that you get tested or booted. But then I have nothing to hide.

I also think if you and the track knows some guy is drunk then they need to step up and stop him from racing. They have some responsibility to protect the others. Still I would want to be very careful there as I do not want to get lawsuits involved in our sport as nothing good can come from it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post