DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    lube for brake caliper slides
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lube for brake caliper slides
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a diesel pusher motor home with air over hydraulic brakes with abs. Question? Is there a hi temp. spray lube that one can use to lube the caliper slides without removing the calipers. The slides on the brakes are "V" grooved male to female not caliper pins. Had the brakes serviced a couple years ago and had the brakes inspected. The brake guy put in new fluid and lubed the slides, brakes were in good shape (20k miles). The slides are a notorious issue with this brake set up and need a close watchful eye on them. Just looking for a way to keep them working properly without having to take it to a mechanic every time. Rotors and pads still look good (34K miles)

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Anything you can spray on will not be thick enough and heavy duty enough to do much good for very long. I'm sure you know there are specific lines just for that but they are all thick and sticky.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes Bender I'm aware. Thinking if I got under there between outings the band aid lube would work for short trips. Was hoping someone had a good product that's available. Hey I like your race car.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the caliper wedges? They keep on coming out? All the air brake systems i do, i just use the Permatex 24110 or a good synthetic grease on the S-cam and lower anchor pins. If the caliper wedges keep coming out, replace them. Sure the anchor plate isn't worn out?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
Yes Bender I'm aware. Thinking if I got under there between outings the band aid lube would work for short trips. Was hoping someone had a good product that's available. Hey I like your race car.

You might try CRC engine stor. I use it on car door hinges. It sprays pretty thin and somewhat foamy so it penetrates. It sets up to a light greasy consistency.

And thanks!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Napa sells some stuff called silglide (I think that's how it's spelled). Won't wash out, resistant to very high temps. Use it all the time, works great

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I serviced brakes on my Beaver with hydraulic brakes. It's got wedges with a retainer bolt. (Bendix twin 2.88) I had to do the fronts again later for another problem and found that high temp nevr-seize was still "wet" after a year with moderate usage.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Never Seize
But it'll have to be applied with the units disassembled, like anything else.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1658 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wanted to thank everyone for their input. Ya I realize the only way to lube them properly is by taking them off. They are moving ok now for the next trip. Coach has 20K towing miles and 35k on the original brakes. It's time to replace the pads and turn the rotors for piece of mind.