Notify
Tools

Class A Motorhome
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Dumping was kind of tough 20 years ago but now many tracks have dump stations---Rockingham has over 180 full service sites and if you come to race there is also a dump station. I keep mine plugged up all the time to a 30 amp 120 plug at home. If tanks get full hit your local Flying "J" or campground to dump. Don't think I want to dump 100 gal into my septic at one time, be a lot to handle.

Never had a problem with the 100 gallons yes. Like Rob said....mostly water. If you were home, it would have been going in there all weekend anyhow. Just not all in one shot of course.

Hook ups and dump stations are extremely rare at race tracks around here.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Seems to me if you were to be able to hook up to a city sewer line or hook run a line to an existing septic system close by it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but to add a separate septic just for the RV thats a huge expense IMO just to dump your tanks

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My new house will have a septic tank I guess the RV hookups should be able to handle that?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
My new house will have a septic tank I guess the RV hookups should be able to handle that?

I would think it would be fine since your only one person.just design the system with that in mind and I would think you would want your RV somewhat close to where your septic system is to keep the installation cost down. County engineer may tell you where to locat the system on your property. Im in Tarrant county and the only permit they requier is one for the septic system, thats what was told when I built my shop anyways.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I have heard its not good to dump an RV into your home septic as its not designed to handle a large influx at one time although many people do it. If you go that route, do not add the deodorizing chemicals into the RV tanks as they are harmful to the natural process that breaks down waste in the septic system.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 628 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am bringing this back up for a few more questions.

1. In Texas what is required to get a license for the motorhome and what determines which one you need.

2. What about over length permits? I have heard any where from $15 per year to $350 per trip and Department of Public safety was no help. I could not find anything on the web site.

Like to know BEFORE I buy the RV.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Did you read this already? What do you think the length, with or without a trailer might be?

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Sorry, dual post...

Specific Texas Towing Regulations Maximum Size of The Towing Vehicle

The maximum vehicle height is limited to 14 feet with a maximum width of 8.5 feet. The combined length of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle cannot exceed 65 feet.

Maximum Size of the Towing Trailer

The maximum trailer height is limited to 14 feet with a maximum width of 8.5 feet. The maximum trailer length is unspecified and the law reverts back to the restriction noted above, “the combined length of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle cannot exceed 65 feet.”

Maximum Motor Home Size

The maximum length of a motorhome is limited to 45 feet. Towing a vehicle is allowed and even a triple tow is permitted, providing that the maximum length of all vehicles, trailers and items towed do not exceed 65 feet in length. As of 2012, there are not specific laws pertaining to vehicle towing available on the Texas Division of Motor Vehicles or the Department of Public Safety site.
Let me see if i can find the permit issuance.

Weights

25,999 lbs. of towing vehicle without a special license, but once the setup exceeds or equals 26,000 lbs., a class-B noncommercial driver's license is necessary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Now you are really getting into a can of worms. A few years back here in NC we had a meeting that included State MVA, DOT, Federal DOT, etc and you could not get the same information from any of them. Of course each thought his way was the only way. The General Assembly did increase the legal length to 90ft but 9 out of 10 troopers don't know it. I keep a copy in my motor home.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am bringing this back up for a few more questions.

1. In Texas what is required to get a license for the motorhome and what determines which one you need.

2. What about over length permits? I have heard any where from $15 per year to $350 per trip and Department of Public safety was no help. I could not find anything on the web site.

Like to know BEFORE I buy the RV.

License isn’t that bad, class a, dad got his... I hear the length permits aren’t that bad, couple hundred for 90 days or something like that

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Now you are really getting into a can of worms. A few years back here in NC we had a meeting that included State MVA, DOT, Federal DOT, etc and you could not get the same information from any of them. Of course each thought his way was the only way. The General Assembly did increase the legal length to 90ft but 9 out of 10 troopers don't know it. I keep a copy in my motor home.

That is it, nobody really knows. I do know the max length is 65 feet in Texas but could not find anything about over length permits.

If you have a Class A do you have to keep all the records even though it is private use?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Curly,
The way I read the info that TD3550 provided at :
http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

It looks like NO CDL is required for an RV.
Looks like you just may need a class change to maybe a "Class A" regular license depending on what you buy and tow.

Seems no different than getting a motorcycle license or whatever.
Looks pretty easy and the best thing is its still a regular license (no log books, no medical, etc).

It distinctly says:
"Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:
Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use"

Probably need to read a book and take a test.

The good thing is at least you guys can get a license for an RV.
We here in CT are boned.
Frown

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bringing this thread back up again. Still have not bought a motor home. Wow, what a deal! There are so many brands, options and variables it is hard to tell what it is what and a huge variation is prices on similar ones.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chris Lamb in Henderson Nv. Has what looks to be a nice Diplomat for a decent price. It’s on Facebook $42k all updated ...

Posts: 69 | Location: area 51 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have another question. One of the motor homes I called about had "Propane Injection system" on the motor. What is that for?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
kind of like nitros---gives you a boost in power, not exactly good for engine life but gets you up the hills better.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Like Fern said, i have seen the diesel guys use that like Nitrous. But I think the uses are a little expanded over that. I understand that it can be used to increase fuel mileage as well.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
JR is correct
You will need a Class A NON-CDL.

You will be over 26,000 lbs combined.

It shows it very clearly in the DPS chart.

Most of the racers, including us, do not get over length permits. We are fortunate in this region to not be hassled.
For that matter, many do not have the correct license either.

Just do not put anything on your rig that suggests that you race for a living, that changes everything if you were to get pulled over.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Let me jump in here on Curly's post and ask about one that I looked at today.

2007 American Tradition
37,000 miles
350 hp Cummings
42ft tag axle
side radiator
6 speed Alison
Frieghtliner chassis

They are asking 125,000 but its negotiable.

What do you think

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There is a 2007 40ft Tradition advertised here with 3 slides and a 400hp Cummins for $115,000.