Find
Notify
Tools

MPG dropping
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vehicles with electronic timing will always perform better on Premium fuel, given several tank fulls to set adjustments to the timing and fuel maps.

I agree with that statement. The proof is when I started towing over the Appalachians. With the recommended 89 octane it’ll drop 3 gears to maintain 60 mph upgrade. With 93/92 octane it’ll only drop 2 gears for the same mph towing the same load using cruise control and Not using Tow-Haul.
I only use 93 octane continuously for the 8 months I tow.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Just a word of advice for anyone with a boat.

E15 has been known to destoy outboards and inboard engines.

https://thehill.com/policy/ene...of%20a%20boat%20fire.

quote:
E15 is federally prohibited for recreational vessel use, according to the Coast Guard. It also can cause marine engine damage and void marine engine warranty.

Additionally, the fuel has reportedly been shown to make engines run hotter and increase the possibility of a boat fire.

https://www.boatus.com/news-ro...-the-recent-e15-news

quote:
BoatUS notes recreational vessels are never compatible with E15 (15% ethanol). It is not permitted by federal law to use E15 fuel in boats (as well as motorcycles, off-road vehicles and power equipment), voids the engine warranty, and it has been proven to cause damage to marine engines. It also causes engines to run hotter and contains less energy than E10. Recreational vessel engines may only use gasoline containing no more than 10% ethanol (E10).

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Maybe we can just bicycle with our President

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone forgot his training wheels

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think he needs to go bicycling near a huge cliff.

After 4 years of hearing Trump is not my president I sure as hell am not claiming the POS in the white house. After all, presidents are supposed to be elected not installed like a toilet.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Our Costco gas bill for the month just arrived, it was $800. That was for both her 4 cylinder Subaru Outback and my Toyota 4 cylinder truck, that didn't include the motor home. The milage fell about 2 MPG. Living in the Country does have one drawback, everywhere you drive is a serious trip.

Bob

Posts: 3061 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Vehicles with electronic timing will always perform better on Premium fuel, given several tank fulls to set adjustments to the timing and fuel maps.

I agree with that statement. The proof is when I started towing over the Appalachians. With the recommended 89 octane it’ll drop 3 gears to maintain 60 mph upgrade. With 93/92 octane it’ll only drop 2 gears for the same mph towing the same load using cruise control and Not using Tow-Haul.
I only use 93 octane continuously for the 8 months I tow.

I can remember the 84-86 GM trucks with early EST modules, had one with a mechanical tick that retarded the timing so far it literally wouldn't run, with the sensor seeing the ticking as spark knock. EST module said, hold my beer, I'll stop that noise. Big Grin

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1596 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post