New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Name Memories
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"Memories is all we have during this pandemic. Think of some of your own while you go back to your regularly scheduled sit-at-home and do nothing."

https://dragracingedge.com/the...g/car-name-memories/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Growing up in East Texas back in the 60's my dad ran stock with a 50 olds called Rocket Hauler. A few others I thought were cool a couple of 57 sedan deliveries one named Malfunction and one called Sabotage. A 55 chevy called Termites Nest
. Man those were great times to grow up around drag racing.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
At Beaver Springs Dragway, we had the Looney Tunes Gang. I wish I had a pic handy of Bob Klock's "Baaaaad Intentions" Dart Sport, which featured Tweety with an axe behind his back. Later, there was Dave Weaver's "Mixed Emotions" Charger with Pepe LePew and the cat It was mostly us Mopar guys, but there was also a "Rapid Transit" car with Wile E Coyote on it.

Will Leitch

Michael Beard

Jeff Edinger

Back in the day, I'd hand-painted some decals that looked like the NHRA Div. 1 track team code decals. We'd be at the bracket finals or an inter-track challenge race and I'd hear someone say, "There's a team 'LT' here, but nobody knows where they're from!" LOL

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You Get No Change $$$ < Best car name I've seen. Most accurately named. BMF

Sunshine and Bradenton multi time Super Pro champion

Doorslammer, small tire, open trailer

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot that come to mind but I had some friends with an altered, “Money for Nothing” and I always thought that was a great name!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Its sad that car names are a thing of the past. Alot of cars were named or had sponsors names on them back in the 80's and 90's. I really miss that. It was way easier to call out a car by name than it is to say that red 69 Camaro.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 27Keith:
Its sad that car names are a thing of the past. Alot of cars were named or had sponsors names on them back in the 80's and 90's. I really miss that. It was way easier to call out a car by name than it is to say that red 69 Camaro.

X2

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I always liked to see cars that had that names on them. It was easier to remember them and people would always associate a car to a driver.

I still have my car that is named. And take a look at this video, around the 22 minute mark is my run when the TV show announcer calls my car by its name.

https://youtu.be/CP29KH0f6zM

Those were the good ole days !!!! Yes, I know I am old. Razz

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 308 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60s two altered wheelbase dodges cars raced the southwest till owner was killed and then called suicide. My favorite cars of all time , "GOLDENROD" AND "THE FUZZ" I wish a had photos of them.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tempus Fugit

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
I'll never forget this one ....... back in the middle 60's ..... I was a young kid, watching a 'travelling circuit of S/S and F/X cars' racing at Cecil County Dragway (Md.). There were a ton of Mopars there .... and this one exploded it's engine, right on the starting line ........ it's name . appropiately . was "The GUZZLER" ...... Eek ......... the good 'ol days!

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I always liked "Bad News Travels Fast" vega of Woodrow Brackett,who I think is Woodyb on this site. I may be wrong. Rampys " sky high " was cool too.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Local favorite.Charlie Brown.Was running before the 80's when I first saw it and still out there running. Old Chevy wagon wheels up every launch.Man must have 5000 rounds in that thing and that might be under estimated.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Racecar names are still big in the Mopar crowd, and I always grew up think if it's a racecar, it has a name.

I recall there used to be two identical 64 Plymouths that would race at the Mopar Nationals every year named "Spartacus" (no, I'm Spartacus) and they both would leave on the bumper. I don't remember the plain Jane Polaras and Darts that were just as fast, but I remember Spartacus.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
Tempus Fugit

Rick Wolf's Super Stock 'Cuda! He said it had 16 street driven miles on it. He was a jeweler in the next town over from where I grew up. Used to fix my glasses after I'd break them in gym class. LOL It wasn't until later that I even learned what drag racing or his line of Wallys on display were all about. He offered to let me drive it once, but we never made it happen. This was one of the cars that got dad and I interested in class racing when we were first starting out.

__

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Local favorite.Charlie Brown.Was running before the 80's when I first saw it and still out there running. Old Chevy wagon wheels up every launch.Man must have 5000 rounds in that thing and that might be under estimated.

Mike Boyles had the car repainted in 2010, done up just like it was before, hand-lettered and all, but FRESH. It came out incredible! Mike's one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet, and a bad dude with a stick.

__

DRR Trophy
Picture of Reggie451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Mike Boyles had the car repainted in 2010, done up just like it was before, hand-lettered and all, but FRESH. It came out incredible! Mike's one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet, and a bad dude with a stick.

Michael this was one of my favorite cars as a kid. I remember watching him at Rockingham and also as an adult when I would come back to the east to race. He was an awesome stick driver which is proof as he is a multi time SS champion.

Reggie Lytch, Retired United States Air Force, Div 4 S/ST
Jacksonville Arkansas now Jacksonville N.C.

Posts: 15 | Location: Jacksonville Ar now Jacksonville N.C. | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Chain Lightning

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Anyone up in Div one remember a Mopar wagon called “Tight Nuts”?

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just out of college in the early 70's saw a funny car at Miami-Hollywood Speedway call the 'Tyrant' think they were from Chicago. Another was Frank Federici's 'Shark'. Loved the names on cars.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post