So Cal Earthquakes
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
...the deep hole water disposal building pressure on the plates is what they really surmised to be the problem. They have now limited the amount of water that can be injected each day.

For non-Okies, there is a lot of saltwater produced along with the oil in some formations. They separate the water/oil and inject the saltwater back into saltwater disposal wells. These disposal wells are in fractured/vugular/cavernous formations that can accept this fluid. Some may say "saltwater in Oklahoma" and yes. Anywhere there is oil it was once covered by the ocean. How's that for climate change? SAVE OKLAHOMA!

What? The earth was changing before people got here to screw it up? Hard to imagine.

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard to imagine.

Facts are a biotch. But some people have the innate ability to ignore them.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've been through 4 tornadoes. 1 at the drag strip of all places. 2 while at home. Drove through one, well not "through" it but very close. They ain't no joke either but the difference between a tornado and an earthquake is the size of the destruction. An earthquake is wider-spread. A tornado a few hundred yards width at the most. Most tornadoes aren't even that wide. A few in Oklahoma are, and was one here a few years ago (about 3/4 mi wide EF-4). In those cases there's not a house made that I know of that will withstand it, need to be underground be it a basement or dedicated shelter. The news people tend to blow it (tornado) out of proportion as a scare tactic and apparently it works.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
An earthquake is wider-spread. A tornado a few hundred yards width at the most.

Not surprisingly, living in OKC, I have observed first hand the destruction a major tornado can wrought. Now if you're talking massive destruction I don't believe there is anything that can compare to a hurricane. I was working in Louisiana when both Katrina and Rita hit. I had to evacuate for both. After Rita, when I departed to return home I drove along the gulf coast line from LA to TX and the devastation mile, after mile, after mile was unbelievable. I had to drive around a house setting partially on the highway!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've been through one tornado while at a IHRA National event at Cordova, Illinois several years ago. It happened the day prior to the event, I was walking out of the Walmart in Bittendorf when it hit. Having never been in a tornado I left the Walmart and walked directly in the path of flying debris and rain. Everyone in the Walmart must have thought I was crazy, I had never been in a tornado it just looked like a heavy rain, that was until the first tree flew by me. The next day I drove up the Illinois side of the river to the Cordova track, there were trees, telephone poles on the ground and debris everywhere. I got a first hand appreciation of how destructive a tornado can be, that event did scare me.

I've lived in Southern California for more than five decades, survived dozens of earthquakes, never been that concerned and never personally seen that much destruction. A tornado may be only a few years wide but it moves over a wide area.

I worked in Waveland, Louisiana after Katrina and no earthquake in Southern California ever came close to the destruction that was created from New Orleans to Biloxi by those tornados.

No amount of money could ever get me to live in a tornado area.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post