DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Weather Station Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather Station Repair
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Is there anyone beside Altronics that can repair a Perform Air PC weather station.
It would make more sense for me to buy a new one based on what they want to repair it.
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with yours?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
Is there anyone beside Altronics that can repair a Perform Air PC weather station.
It would make more sense for me to buy a new one based on what they want to repair it.
Dave

They are the only ones who repair them, at least that I know of.

Brand new, we sell them for $599.

We also offer the Ultimeter for the same price, may be an option for you.

http://crewchiefpro.com/ultime...center-new-for-2020/

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. I'm borrowing one for now.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will be sending in my unused 2 year old Perform for repair soon . It will not reset . It will cost me 125.00 at a minimum . I paid 680.00 for this unit and was never able to use it , really pisses me off.

Posts: 8 | Location: cheboygan | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
David,

I assume you got my message.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
David,

I assume you got my message.

If you are talking about the one from yesterday. Then yes. I even answered you..lol

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i had two units i bought year 2000 i was at bracket finals both quit within hours of each other . i called and talked to some guy named karen and was informed that the units had a ten year timeclock , boom both dead .both units looked brand new . his reponce was well you dont have a ten year old tv do you ? nice way to take care of customer . both units then went under a trailer tire and left DOA . and i had bought a egt system and a complete informer system ,nothing but trouble

Posts: 16 | Location: florida | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
The problem with at Performaire PC is it is powered by your computers USB port. After a while, the weather station begins to draw more power that the USB can handle so the computer shuts off the port. You still get pages but, the weather info gets repeated because that's what Crew Chief sees. Going from a USB 2.0 to a USB 3.0 will restore the weather station function until the current draw exceeds what the USB 3.0 can provide.

I went through all that and bought a couple of new laptops in the process thanking it was the computers. In one year I went through three Performaire PC weatherheads. The original one that went dead, one that was DOA, and another that failed soon after purchase. By this time I've got almost as much money in Performaires as the cost of a good high quality weather station. And I wouldn't have to buy new laptops either.

I'd tell you what I bought but, CRS won't let me.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joe2432:
i called and talked to some guy named karen and was informed that the units had a ten year timeclock , boom both dead .both units looked brand new .

First I've heard of this.. Mine is at least 15 years old and worked perfect until a couple of races ago. And I screwed it up cleaning the contacts on the usb cable port.

Don, can you respond to this?

Dave

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've own two Performaire PWC units over the last 10 years. The original unit worked for about 5 years then quit paging. I was told that my transmitter was down to 1 watt and could not be repaired. I asked at the same time to perform a re-calibration on the unit since everything else worked okay. Then I was told that my unit was a older analog unit and they don't work on them at all. They sold me a new digital unit ($1700+ ouch). The new unit worked well for about 3 years then the wind sensor became erratic and the unit would only page on certain databases. I sent the unit back in only to be told that before they could work on it, I needed a software update ($125), regardless of whether they could repair it or not. $300 later I had my unit back. Two weeks ago it started doing the exact same things (erratic wind reading and sporadic pages). I was fed up with Performaire and have since purchased a Altalab unit. Their reputation, and history of good customer service, is enough to make me feel good about the purchase. Now the sad part. All manufacturers use slightly different weather calculations. So be prepared to start over again no matter what brand you go with.
Give Don Higgins a call, he carries most all brands and has good prices as well. I think he'd tell you to same about the Altalab units when it come to quality.

Ray Dew

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Originally posted by joe2432:
i called and talked to some guy named karen and was informed that the units had a ten year timeclock , boom both dead .both units looked brand new .

First I've heard of this.. Mine is at least 15 years old and worked perfect until a couple of races ago. And I screwed it up cleaning the contacts on the usb cable port.

Don, can you respond to this?

Dave

Many Performaire PCs we sold over ten years ago still work fine, I have no idea about any clock inside one. I replaced a cable on one last week that was 12 years old and still working just fine.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post