DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Will fuel price effect the turnout in Bradenton SFG?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will fuel price effect the turnout in Bradenton SFG?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Wonder what the turnout is going to be like way down there next weekend? Is 25k enough money to travel all that way?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I have heard there may be gate entries. Was under impression it was sold out. Depending on how car/driver works this weekend, we may go if gate allowed.

Gas prices much higher ($3.50) than Memphis IHRA trip in 2020 ($1.90). Since we got little RV and open trailer cost nowhere near prohibitive, yet. Running pump premium and slow car also cuts overhead.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fuel prices could affect in 2 ways.
Either people will travel to a few larger paying events and park their operation on local events.
Or they may decide to stay close to home and race more at their local track.
I guess another option is to just park the car completely,but that probably won't happen until gas prices reach $10 a gallon.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Today gas is $3.49 in southeast Fla. When gas hits $5.00 a gallon the racing operation gets parked. My closest tract is Orlando Speed World, a 270 mile round trip. At 10mpg that's more than I'm willing to spend on gas just to GET to the track and back home.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Another question would be, how far in miles would you travel to race three $25k races? For me it'd be 500 miles one way @ less than $5 a gallon.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The cost of fuel to get to the track is not the real issue.
The real issue is that ALL of our living expense revolves around the cost of energy.

So yeah, this weekend it will cost me $35 more for a trip to the track than it did in December, okay, I got $35....BUT, everything else in life is also 30% + more than it was in December.

Those little + $30's will add up fairly quickly.

And, we'll be driving two vehicles to the track most times until we can get our new truck....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You want to apply costs and economic reasoning to something as foolish as auto racing.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm reinventing my induction to go 6.40 113 mph sbc 3200 lbs, Super Pro bracket racing.

I wouldn't do that if I wasn't planning on racing.

The dominator carb will be on the car next trip to the track.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I am loading up and heading to Darlington this weekend. About 250mi round trip and if I want to go I have to buy fuel no matter the price. Diesel was $4.09 here this morning but I am full. Come back home then head out to Myrtle beach for a week, more fuel at what cost? But we want to go so we will buy fuel.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt it will be the cost of tow fuel that stops me from racing.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
May not have much short term effect but I do think if it continues for years then it will start to have a huge effect.

It is not that we can not afford it we can but it does take a lot of the fun out of it when cost to race doubles but payout does not. Probably same for all races big and small.

The "New Green Deal" wants to eliminate all gas fueled cars. They have made it clear that is their ultimate goal. We shall see how how far they get in any case that is not good news for us.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My own wager is that for events like these, no, the turnout will not be impacted. The ballers aren't gonna sweat the small expense increase. They have probably lost more money than that in their sofa cushions. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
If gas money keeps racers away they have issues otherwise lol

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I am loading up and heading to Darlington this weekend. About 250mi round trip and if I want to go I have to buy fuel no matter the price. Diesel was $4.09 here this morning but I am full. Come back home then head out to Myrtle beach for a week, more fuel at what cost? But we want to go so we will buy fuel.

Saw 4 local stations on my route to and from work have gone to $4.45 diesel overnight. That is a bad sign that 5 bucks a gallon will be soon. That impacts everything we do or get.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When you have tracks reasonably close then not much effect. I was planning on running the double divisional in Vegas and staying for the Spring Fling. 1600 miles round trip for me. Cost of the trip at 5 bucks a gallon, it’s 4.85 in Phoenix now would be 800 dollars. Add in the entry fees and the total is around 2 grand. I’m out, I’ll be racing at our local track.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I've been working 100% from home since COVID. It'll be exactly two years now on March 13. I have no plans to EVER go back to commuting to work everyday. I'll take all the money I don't spend on gas driving to work and put that towards my fuel expenses for racing.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have nice 1/4 mile track 1.5 hours away, so if (big if) fuel gets to $5/gal, I'll adapt my car to race more classes/events there, rather than following money events or a series. Under $5 a gal, I will probably do my normal regional traveling.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
If gas money keeps racers away they have issues otherwise lol

EXACTLY!

That said, I filled my truck Tuesday night at 4.05/gallon and last night at the same station, it’s now 4.49/gallon. 45 cents in 48 hours. It will be 5.00/gallon next week at this rate.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The problem isn't the short term gas prices, it's american society thinking that as long as they are paying their minimum due on their credit card, they are "making it".

These are the same people that stretch out financing terms as long as they can so they can show off what they can't afford to their equally materialistic friends. Once they can't afford their monthly minimum due any more, due to higher gas prices, then they let their 95% financed big truck go back so they can afford the home that's 3 times bigger than they need.

That's when the economy falls. In my opinion.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
The problem isn't the short term gas prices, it's american society thinking that as long as they are paying their minimum due on their credit card, they are "making it".

These are the same people that stretch out financing terms as long as they can so they can show off what they can't afford to their equally materialistic friends. Once they can't afford their monthly minimum due any more, due to higher gas prices, then they let their 95% financed big truck go back so they can afford the home that's 3 times bigger than they need.

That's when the economy falls. In my opinion.

You're describing the system, how economic bubbles are blown up.

When they offshored the jobs, they expanded the credit to offset the lost wages of the good paying manufacturing jobs, which netted discretionary money.

If they didn't expand credit, your neighbors house would be a dump (standards of living would worsen).

The banks lone out the money to anyone with a pulse at no risk, then the gov bails em out when the bubble bursts.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post