North Carolina
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
Biggest draw back I see here in NC is the personal property tax on cars, trucks, motor homes, farm equipment, etc that never stops. Then there is the yearly vehicle inspection....The car tax is awful.

Can someone explain how theses taxes work ????

I know DE and IN have the same sort of thing, makes people keep their older cars/trucks to avoid the outrageous taxes they place on the newer stuff.

What type of stuff do they tax you on? Cars/trucks that are registered to be used on public roads? Car trailers?

Anything else they try to nail you on?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They used to send us a personal property tax form in the mail. Now, they just tie it to vehicle registration. When you renew your registration, you have to pay your property tax on the vehicle at the same time. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
So what kind of yearly money are we talking about ???

lets say my 2003 GMC 2500 ??? My 2017 Trax beater ??? My 68 firebird streetcar ??? Non registered race cars ??? I always have a few extra cars laying around, both registered and not, trying to get a feel for the NC costs .............

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tom may be on to something but I have only been here 15 years and since I opted out of most of it I am not sure. When I came here it was going to cost me over $10,000 just to transfer the motor home, 1 trailer, 2 pickups, and 1 car not counting getting them all inspected + emissions inspections. Then the personal property tax every year forever. Then the form Tom mentions came and they wanted to tax my John Deere farm tractor, the farm trailer, race car, and any unlicensed vehicles that were titled. I opted out of that also, the tractor was on loan from the farm and left the trailer registered there. But I haven't seen any of those forms lately. They use NADA value for the tax they tell me. They also have a one time when you register road use tax I think was $80

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Illinois isn't as bad as I thought. Well, except for the liberals, corruption and the state being broke.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6364 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
They used to send us a personal property tax form in the mail. Now, they just tie it to vehicle registration. When you renew your registration, you have to pay your property tax on the vehicle at the same time. Take care. Tom Worthington

I'll have to ask what my sister pays for her cars and trucks. I know it decreases every year, but it is ridiculous to start-off with. Reminds me of just about everything in NJ.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

lets say my 2003 GMC 2500 ??? My 2017 Trax beater ??? My 68 firebird streetcar ??? Non registered race cars ??? I always have a few extra cars laying around, both registered and not, trying to get a feel for the NC costs .............

https://edmv.ncdot.gov/TaxEstimator

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom

I'll play with that later Big Grin

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When you title in NC its 3% to the state one time. Then county tax every year when you renew the tag. I just did the tag for my 05 2500hd this week and the taxes were around 20 bucks.
Taxes on the 18 3500 were around 220.00ish.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Does that include registration?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6364 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Title , registration , state tax are one time deal to the state. County tax is every year when you get the tag renewed along with getting the yearly inspection that is around 14 bucks in my county.State tax is 3% of book value. The county has my 05 valued at 5,500 .

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The property tax rates vary a bunch from county to county and city to city. The tax value (assigned to) my Truck is $20,570. (in 2018) The tax was $170.22. The total, tax, tag, ect was $226.72. The property tax on my 2000 square foot house, with a couple acres land was ~$650. If I were less than a mile away, but inside the Grover NC city limits my property taxes would be almost 2 times as much. If I were less than a mile away the other direction in South Carolina my property taxes would be ~8% less. (As long as I wasn't in the Blacksburg SC city limits).

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Regarding taxes here in New Hanover County, NC, Keep an eye on what they say your stuff or junk is worth when they send the bill to you. Years ago They jacked up the taxes on my 70 Barracuda. At the time was not driveable, not tagged and looked like it was straight out of the junk yard. They snuck it in under my nose re-valuing it as in excellent condition. I had to trailer it to the tax office where an official could assess it's value. They did the exact same thing the following year. Since it's been completely dissasembled since 2013, I have re-listed it as non operational personal property. I still have to fill out paperwork every year when tax time comes around. Cost me $14 in taxes last year. I'm sure it may be similar in other states and counties.

Have a great weekend kids...

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 104 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
The property tax rates vary a bunch from county to county and city to city. The tax value (assigned to) my Truck is $20,570. (in 2018) The tax was $170.22. The total, tax, tag, ect was $226.72. The property tax on my 2000 square foot house, with a couple acres land was ~$650. If I were less than a mile away, but inside the Grover NC city limits my property taxes would be almost 2 times as much. If I were less than a mile away the other direction in South Carolina my property taxes would be ~8% less. (As long as I wasn't in the Blacksburg SC city limits).

In NJ, most people pay over $650 a month just in property taxes! I have it pretty good, only $4400 a year for a 1000sq ft house, 2 car garage, HUGE 40x120 lot! Smile

In fact, if you took my entire block (which is a dead end street), it would easily fit inside my parents back yard...........

With the way they do these personal property taxes, it further makes more sense to get rid of my 2017 Duramax. I like my old 2001 2500, don't need this one too.

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:

https://edmv.ncdot.gov/TaxEstimator

Take care. Tom Worthington

I have a friend in SC, he sent me to this website:

http://www.lex-co.com/scripts/...branding/vTaxEst.htm

I tried School District 1 and 2, $223 for one, $114 for 2.

Makes me wonder if district 1 is a blue collar possibly white collar area and district 2 is .......... well, not where we would want to live......

My kids are done with college so I am not concerned with a good school, but do want a decent area.