Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted
Thinking of escaping NJ. Interested in NC. Want to be somewhat close to a race track, within an hour, and need a job. Want some property, less than 5 acres. DO NOT want to be in an HOA of any sort! In fact, would rather have no neighbors within a few thousand feet!

Where to look?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good day sir. Coastal Plains Dragway and Kinston Dragstrip are close by Jacksonville, Richlands and Wilmington areas. Galot, Peidmont and Fayetteville arent far away either. All good tracks. Kinston had also been running a no prep style program, believe on Thursdays, If that's of interest to you. As I understand it, someones also trying to resurrect the New Bern dragstrip. Cant give you much on Job opportunities in the areas though.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 110 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've been doing my homework Mike, I'm closing in on a few key spots lol. As you know, I'm more concerned about my kids futures and employment than my own. I'm liking the Lake Norman / Mooresville area. I'm sure plenty will chime in . ITS ALL NICER THAN NJ !!!! Also attracted to Fort Mill SC, right on the border ......

See ya Friday night !!!!

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are there any good 1/4 mile tracks in N.C.?

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There's no tracks that I know of that race 1/4 mile on a regular basis in NC...or pretty much anywhere in the South. I live in Grover NC, ~40 miles west of Charlotte at the NC/SC State line. I'm less than a mile from Interstate 85, and less than a mile from the state line. I've lived in the same county my entire life so I can't make comparisons to other places. Charlotte has jobs, but certain areas of Charlotte are pretty much crime ridden cesspools. I work in Gastonia, 20 miles from where I live.

(Don't get all upset, this is meant in humor) We've been considering building a wall at the Northern border of NC to keep all of you Yankees out.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Benson, Four Oaks area. Close to I-95 and I-40. Looks like 4 tracks within an hour.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rockingham is a 1/4 track but rarely runs anything but 1/8. These tracks down here for the most part don't do the every week programs we were used to in Div 1. Some only 5 points races held on only 2 weekends. None that I know of run an every week points deal. I would look at Chatham County as it is dead center of the state and Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and the Research Triangle are close enough for work. Fastest growing area in the state. Tracks, I am in the South East corner of the county.
Piedmont 48mi
Rockingham 50mi
Galot 60mi
710 60mi
Farmington 90mi
Roxboro 100 mi
Mooresville 110mi
Darlington SC 115mi
Pageland SC 116mi
VMP about 150mi
Coastal Plains 200mi
Bristol about 200mi
Motor Mile 150mi
West of Pittsboro is best. You go to the coast or the lake Norman area you will limit your racing opportunities and increase the price of a home a lot. I got a 4br brick rancher on 5ac with a 40X52 Garage for $150,000 a few years back. Hope this helps.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I lived in Western NC and it's not the place to live for drag strips. If I was going to live in NC and drag race I'd locate so I could easily race Farmington,Wilkesboro and Mooresville for a weekly race. From there it's easy enough to travel to any other track you want to go to. Bristol runs 1/4 for Sportsman class only on their bracket program, but they don't run every week, but when they do run it's Sat and Sun.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
woody b hope they start the wall soon.thats all we need another no it all.u do no that a yankee is a string on a tampon.

Posts: 172 | Location: collecting emails from whiners | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Since you need employment, that should be the first part of your search. If you stay outside of any large city limits, I think you'll be happy with the real estate market. The more rural, the better. Anywhere in central/east NC you'd have trouble swinging a dead cat and not hitting a dragstrip. You might want to look at which ones they are, though, because bracket racing is becoming less and less of their bread and butter. And oh yeah, you will be able to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights in this state (unlike Jersey). Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
In central NC myself. Greensboro,Winston Salem and High Point area. Lots of tracks with in 100 miles and few less than 50. Land depends on where you look as far as price goes. As for housing figure 105 and up per sq. ft. If need new house I can help you there.LOL

Great area to live.We don't have problem with Yankees that come to enjoy our way of life just the one's that come down and tell us how to change it to be like where they left.

As for Toms comment on 2nd amendment its almost a law that you exercise it.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Great area to live.We don't have problem with Yankees that come to enjoy our way of life

When in Rome, do like the Romans

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
quote:
In central NC myself. Greensboro,Winston Salem and High Point area. Lots of tracks with in 100 miles and few less than 50. Land depends on where you look as far as price goes. As for housing figure 105 and up per sq. ft. If need new house I can help you there.LOL

Great area to live.We don't have problem with Yankees that come to enjoy our way of life just the one's that come down and tell us how to change it to be like where they left.

As for Toms comment on 2nd amendment its almost a law that you exercise it.LOL

Yep, the last think a southerner wants to hear is, that's not how we did it back home. Those words are usually followed with, well take yo Yankee azz back home.

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Great area to live.We don't have problem with Yankees that come to enjoy our way of life

When in Rome, do like the Romans

I would not tell anyone I moved from NJ.

Honestly, I was born in South Dakota, have a birth certificate to prove it! Smile

I want to be able to carry a gosh-darn gun, can not do that here legally! We can't even own magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds anymore, and they already have the new law written and ready to go for 5 round max! F-them and their greed and corruption, I have had enough!

Hey, you Southeners Honor Deep Staging? Maybe being most tracks are only 1/8 I can put enough gear in it to hit the bottom and not run out of rpm in the traps........ Smile

Yes, finding a job for one of us is the first priority, without medical coverage for both of us, we can't go. Don't need to make a lot of $$$, we already have two race cars, three trailers, nothing else needs to be purchased.

With three trailers and a LOT of friends, we can get our stuff loaded and ready to go in the spring, help find us a a job, I am starting to look! Smile

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stick those three trailers in your front yard, get a couple dogs for under the front porch and get some teeth removed, and you will fit right in! Big Grin
As long as we are stereotyping.
IMO, cities pretty much suck regardless if you are in the north or south.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sounds like me. 2 motor homes 3 trailers 2 pick up trucks and 4 cars. Got it all hid out back. Going out in the garage and work awhile, nice and warm in there Big Grin

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Sounds like me. 2 motor homes 3 trailers 2 pick up trucks and 4 cars. Got it all hid out back. Going out in the garage and work awhile, nice and warm in there Big Grin

Stereotypes right?!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Stick those three trailers in your front yard, get a couple dogs for under the front porch and get some teeth removed, and you will fit right in! Big Grin

LOL,, Sounds like you've been scoping out my place. 2 enclosed and 1 open out back with the dogs. 3 trucks, several cars and a few John Deere sprinkled around as well... But I do have all of my natural born teefs.... It's all good, 'cause the neighbors do like me,,, or should I say the cars..

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 110 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BTR69:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

LOL,, Sounds like you've been scoping out my place. 2 enclosed and 1 open out back with the dogs. 3 trucks, several cars and a few John Deere sprinkled around as well... But I do have all of my natural born teefs.... It's all good, 'cause the neighbors do like me,,, or should I say the cars..

I got ya beat! Big Grin Only the trailers outside in the winter though. So I lose a few points there. No neighbors. I haven't loved my 1/8th mile or so lane the last few weeks though.
1 motorhome
1 enclosed trailer
3 other flatbeds
4 pickups
1 utv
1 atv
1 woodsplitter
4 generators
1 tractor
3 riding lawn mowers
3 snow blowers
I may need to get on that Letgo site.
2 other cars
a dragster and a jr
Oh, and a buddy has an old Beetle in the barn. That's gonna have to go some time.
TN seems nice. Will they have me? I can't imagine moving all this stuff. -20f this morning and colder tonight here in Western Illinois.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
is south Carolina out of the question? cost of living is less and can be located where the above mentioned tracks are not a bad drive. plus there are a lot of great tracks in SC as well. taxes and gas and property will be cheaper in SC.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post