DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Today's trivia question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's trivia question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Who conceived, designed, brought to market the valve train stud girdle?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jomar?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Don't know, but Jomar sounds like a good bet

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Moroso?? I remember gold ones, maybe Crower , Isky??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My first thought was Jomar.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bill Jenkins?

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Al Gore!!!

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You mean it wasn’t Ed

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Can I say me if I've used one before????

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Remember Rev Kits?? Boy have things changed.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
You mean it wasn’t Ed

Nope, never used a stud girdle but I saw a whole lot of broken valve train parts because of them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I had a Jomar years ago. I ground on it and welded then ground some more. I finally got it where it would bolt down without bending the studs and changing lash.

Larry, When do we get graded?

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I never ran the actual Jomar brand but I've been running stud girdles for years and I think I've broken two valve springs in that whole time.

I know this, I've seen a lot more breakage with these super duper shaft rockers than I ever have with my stuff. Yeah, I don't run a ton of lift but it never fails they're always announcing from the tower, does anyone have a spare shaft rocker for a BBC. Joe Shmoe has a broken one and needs some help.

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally got it where it would bolt down without bending the studs and changing lash.

Is that testimony to the QC of the stud girdle or the QC of the rocker arm studs? Tolerance stacking, especially on splayed valves, has to be significant in a production scenario.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, prior to 2008 all I ran was Crane Gold stud mounted shaft rockers without a girdle and I never broke any valve train component.

Since '08,I've been running shaft rockers. Started with entry level Jesel Sportsman which the nose wheel axle walked out one night and luckily the rocker didn't release the valve locks and I found the wheel and axle. Moved to T&D shaft rockers for the 2012 season and have yet to break a rocker but I do have spares just in case.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have an old Ridgeway. I’ll go with that.

Posts: 20 | Location: Pa. | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gonzo1546:
I have an old Ridgeway. I’ll go with that.

Yep, Ralph Ridgeway, I ran that blue stud girdle on my SBC back in the early 80s......

Posts: 21 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Me too!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
HAd a Moroso back in 1985 and it came off of a drag boat we bought in 83 so I know they where out before that.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anseth before Ridgeway.

Posts: 518 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post