New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Drag Racing
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"Some sports returned and played with no fans in the stands. The problem was that most of those included financially sweetened television rights packages, paid by television to continue."

https://dragracingedge.com/the...g/r.i.p-drag-racing/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Who cares....street racing always paid well...and no SFI fees every year or two and didn't have to have a finger up my a$$ to get a permission slip (license) to race.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
John you and some of the rest of us remember the last time it "died". You know, 50 - 60 years ago when bracket racing started. Class racing and money had about buried it. Now we have come full circle and once more it looks like money is choking it once more---virus just an excuse. Once upon a time you could drive your car to the track and they had a class for you. Didn't need $100k worth of electronics, $25,000 Jr dragster just to start. And we wonder why kids don't drive in the gate with their Honda with a coffee can muffler and join in.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fern, lots of places to race with street cars or race cars without electronics

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Fern, lots of places to race with street cars or race cars without electronics

But more and more, those places are not in bracket racing. And we already know (from history) what happens when any form of head$ up is involved. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
Over 300 cars at Bradenton last week and over 500 cars at Darlington after being allowed to open back up after this mess. This sport sure is taking its sweet time to die. Roll Eyes

Posts: 433 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with that, but probably not a street car in competition at either race. Pageland, SC used to have a street car class, GONE. AS far as I know there are none here in NC dedicated to entry level racers although you can race your Honda in No Box---good luck at that.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Weather permitting we will back to Immokalee this weekend, Bradenton following week and then back to Immokalee.

Does not seem sport has died, just evolved. I cannot think of any other sport where I can be somewhat competitive with a sub $10k beater.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
Over 300 cars at Bradenton last week and over 500 cars at Darlington after being allowed to open back up after this mess. This sport sure is taking its sweet time to die. Roll Eyes

Here's a more rational way of looking at it. In 1990's - 2000's you had West Palm, Gainesville, Sunshine Dragstrip, Desoto (Bradenton), Lakeland, Orlando Speedworld, Jax Raceway (Jacksonville) raced every weekend 30 - 35 race season.

Add Miami International 1990's
and Immokolee 2000's

Racing isn't dying, it's been consolidated into fewer races.

The manufactures of parts are feeling it, and probably being centralized with many company's under one umbrella. The same as the dragstrips with one owner now owning several Florida.

This is just an example of Florida, I'd imagine tracks nationwide ran 25 - 35 local race points championship seasons in the 1990's - 2000's.

Sunshine or Bradenton would starve to death to pay the bills, if they tried a 33 race points championship season in 2020.

We used to have 100 cars in Super Pro every Friday night at Sunshine 33 times a year 1990-2000's.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If America had not suffered all the manufacturing sector job losses to China, drag racing would be 10 times bigger than it is today.

All the cheap 0% interest money has kept it alive since 911.

The chickens have come home roost with the cheap money. The cheap money easy credit is done. Racing will be consolidated a step further, the same as it was in 2008.

It's not gonna die. But just consolidate.

It'll be next to impossible to sell a chinese crankshaft.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
As a sportsman racer I wouldn’t be sad if the NHRA went out of business. I also wouldn’t be sad if the big sponsorship pro show went away. The well run tracks could survive on mostly back gate and sportsman racing while the big show guys would be replaced by racers like the Nostalgia boys who mostly race for the fun of it. I go to the Hot Rod Reunion every year not to race, but to see the nitro show. Watching 5.60 to 6 second funny cars running the ¼ is way fun and plenty fast enough. When all the big corp sponsorship money goes away and all that is left is guys racing out of their own pocket, like most of us sportsman guys, then I think racing will be alive and well and probably more fun. Plus we won’t have to put up with the NHRA attitude at the track. Just my humble opinion.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ QD knows!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Technology and money will change it but it won't kill it. Overhead might kill some of the Taj Mahal's of racing but the shchidtholes can flourish if they are smart.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I'll agree with that, but probably not a street car in competition at either race. Pageland, SC used to have a street car class, GONE. AS far as I know there are none here in NC dedicated to entry level racers although you can race your Honda in No Box---good luck at that.

Palm Beach and Bradenton both have Sportsman class full of street cars. The silver vette guy uses his to go to store when at track. Is fully street legal with A/C. He is very competitive in both Sportsman and Nobox. It is footbraked and is currently in 2nd place in points at PBIR.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Oh, Sweet Christmas... People have been banging this "the sport is dead" drum since I was a kid.

People need to read the whole thing.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Didn’t say it was dead, but I do believe it will be going thru some big changes like all racing is going to face in the near future. With the economy struggling, and perhaps getting worse, I do think the sponsorship dollars will be dwindling, perhaps even going away in some cases. The big corp’s are already trying to renegotiate their TV add contracts. I am sure the motorsports budgets are on the table. No fan exposure – no add budget for you. The pros are going to be affected as are many sportsman. It won’t die, but it is going to be quite different at all levels.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Drag racing is not dying. It is a constant change in progress. As an old **** who started racing in the 60's I have seen the metamorphosis from run what ya brung to a more high tech (electronics) form of racing. It's called progress. Biggest change is the increase in the younger people racing imports. It's a different platform but it's still drag racing.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Drag racing is not dying. It is a constant change in progress. As an old **** who started racing in the 60's I have seen the metamorphosis from run what ya brung to a more high tech (electronics) form of racing. It's called progress. Biggest change is the increase in the younger people racing imports. It's a different platform but it's still drag racing.

Oh but if you are not racing 60's or 70's GM and Fords...That's not real racing. (sarcasm off)

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around here I have a pic of the foot brake final of a points race at Piedmont maybe 10 years ago. The future was evident as it was between a Jaguar and a Toyota!!!!! While all of us with the "normal" 60s 70s GMs Mopars and Fords watched from the sidelines.