DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    compression ratio and methanol gains
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

compression ratio and methanol gains
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Always ran 11 to 13.5 with blower cars and about same on injection.Found with blower lower worked better. For injection it was just bracket and extra didn't seem worth it.

Never really pushed compression to max. On computer looks like 20 tq and maybe 40 hp,on computer?12.5 to 14.5,Hemi heads.

Ordering pistons and wondering if gains are worth issue with changes that will be with secondary setup. I can change gasket from .040 to .09 which is huge in compression and allow me to run second setup,but may be issue with intake alignment

WOndering if any here have basically changed compression cpl points and found any big gains or just minor gains. I know big gains come in minor steps.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know big gains come in minor steps.

Chris, the faster you get, that equation turns around the other way, doesn't it? Going from 300 HP to 400 HP is pretty easy. Going from 1100 to 1200 HP not so much...
IMHO, unless you have plenty of time & cash to play with, that extra little gain in ET from your 20 Foot Pounds may not be worth the likely shorter lifespan of the mill. Especially if you are looking at running brackets, (or anything other than big-dollar, heads-up stuff...)

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would go with lower compression, you can not run Nitro with high compression it will destroy motor and you have talked about running it many times.

I have dropped compression from 15 to 1 to 14 to 1 and saw no difference in ET.

I think you are going to quickly learn getting all of the horsepower to the ground consistently in a Front Engine Dragster is harder than most other cars.

Get car out there and make some good, fast consistent runs before you make any changes, you may be going in wrong direction.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yea but with range of gaskets I have its not huge to swap and change compression good amount.Plus swapping pistons for weekend is no big deal. Hemi are user friendly,easy as hell to work on compared to BBC or SBC and go ahead guys I waiting for comments.

Tell the dumb azz in Raleigh to reopen this state and I can make some runs. Car is sitting in trailer and ready to play.Also tired of making free show for neighbors firing up in drive and maybe riding around the neighborhood .LOL Hell if I thought it would have been easy I would have just built a RED and followed the crowd. Man barely got that out w/o laughing.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you are going to quickly learn getting all of the horsepower to the ground consistently in a Front Engine Dragster is harder than most other cars.

Not necessarily in context of a FED, but efficient and consistent transfer of power to the ground was my initial thoughts regarding the increased torque. But you seem to have some easy avenues to follow so enjoy the tinkering.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I would go with lower compression, you can not run Nitro with high compression it will destroy motor and you have talked about running it many times.

I have dropped compression from 15 to 1 to 14 to 1 and saw no difference in ET.

Get car out there and make some good, fast consistent runs before you make any changes, you may be going in wrong direction.

All the HP? Not now. I sold the big whipple a cpl years ago. Even heavy load of nitro with current combo would only be 1500 or so.No not going to try bracket racing on nitro,but flames out pipes would detract the other guy at line. LOL

The nitro would be shows or Chris just bored and needed to burn some money and that never happens. Can easily run 13.A/fuel guys are close to it with lot more pump and mag than I have,but they have clutch to load motor and I sold all of my clutch stuff 10 years ago.Dumb azz.

Probably going to be around 14:1 with .030 or .040 gasket. have gasket up to .090 in .005 increments.

The bigger bore will probably add more than compression.4.25 to 4.400. Since its 1 of 2 motors will also have .25 more crank.Hey its sitting here with one run and light as well put to use.LOL

Plus its more educational post then a going to jump on and go for kill thing.