Notify
Tools

Team Orders
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
I have seen lots of comments from many folks on here in the several years since I joined the forum that still do not understand the difference between racing for fun at the bracket or sportsman level and racing for and as a business at the pro level.

At the bracket racing level whether we win a championship has very little if any bearing on if we do or do not race the following year.

At the pro level the tables are turned and winning or losing a championship can be the difference between a sponsor or owner fielding or parking a car the following year. A owner who fields multiple cars is very well aware of this and will do whatever it takes to keep his sponsors on board so all of his cars are on the track for the following year.

I think the countdown is a total disaster that forces teams into making more of these ugly decisions than the old points system did. It just needs to go away.

Joe

I agree the countdown sucks.

Something to consider is the effort. When it comes down to the last race and you have a shot at it at any level. The effort to get there is the boogeyman in your head. The boogeyman is telling you, you may not make it back into the position you're in. The Fear of the effort for naught. That's where all the anger comes from you see last race in some instances, the fear.

I'll guarantee ya Dik LaHaie wouldn't trade the Top Fuel Championship he won at Pomona in the final round of the final race vs Amato, for a Miller beer sponsorship he didn't have the following year.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Baseball, football and basketball are team sports...every participant is part of a team...not so in drag racing which is why it is not a team sport and why it is basically unfair to anyone who is not part of a multiple car endeavor...on the pro level I understand why it exists but, anywhere else in drag racing, it should never happen...just my .02...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just want them to man up and say we are taking one for the team instead of looking at the camera and telling us we are going to race legit and may the best man win then blowing the tires off 100ft out.

come on man we were not born last night.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
I just want them to man up and say we are taking one for the team instead of looking at the camera and telling us we are going to race legit and may the best man win then blowing the tires off 100ft out.

come on man we were not born last night.

ep

Imagine you're in Zimbabwe when they blow smoke up you're arce, instead of in your living room in America. It'll change the whole experience and you won't give a fok!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post