DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    March Declared Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March Declared Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew Chief
Picture of RACER99O
posted
As many of you know, my father was diagnosed with this back in July. I thought I'd share my family's journey over the past 8 months to hopefully inspire just 1 of you to get your colonoscopy if you haven't already and are over 50 years old.

My dad is an old hard headed white man of 74 years old that had the attitude of "you have to die of something" and isn't much of a doctor kind of guy.

Well believe me he now wishes he was for if nothing less what he has put my Mom and the rest of our family through. I will try to make this quick, but it's been a journey.

July 17 diagnosed with rectal cancer because he thought be brused his tail bone and couldn't mow the grass anymore.

Started biweekly chemo treatments for about 3 months.

Natural in chemo patients he let himself get dehydrated, got low blood pressure, dizzy and fell and cracked his ankle.

Went to hospital, got cdiff which is an intestinal bug, spent 10 days there ****ting his brains out and lost about 10lbs he didn't have to lose before getting it under control.

The decision was made to place him in a specialized nursing facility near their home to get stronger as he now wasn't strong enough to stand on his own.

SO... that means he has to go off chemo because medicade will NOT cover chemo treatments and SNF admissions. No problem, he will miss a couple rounds, be back home for Thanksgiving and will be back on schedule.

Everything goes as plans, Dad has gotten much stronger and can now walk with a walker and spends Thanksgiving at our house and is scheduled to go home Saturday afterwards.

4:30 am Saturday morning my Mom calls and says we are going to hospital because they think your Dad is having a gaulbladder attack.

NOPE... we get there and some very quick work by a very experienced head nurse and doctor on call, they diagnose he is having a aortic dissection, which for a quick description is the main artery to your heart separating like a bubble in a garden hose about to burst. Most people don't live!

We 911 it to Nashville about 20 miles to the Cardiology Hospital and some very johnny on the spot surgeons take him right in and fix it! He got a stint put in and spent a week there. This was now December 10th during PRI.

I remind you my Father hasn't been home since the end of October and my Mom hasn't slept in her own bed, only a hospital chair because she won't leave my fathers side. I suspect your wife would do the same. I know Nicole would.

SO... after a remarkable recovery, but a week in that hospital it's back to the SNF because he is week again! A week in bed will do that to you when you are not healthy.

Then hopefully he can get back on Chemotherapy treatments to battle what started this all - rectal cancer.

Back at the SNF the goal is a week of therapy and home for Christmas.

With all this going on my Dad who has never had a blood pressure issue had fought MAJOR blood pressure swing issues, most likely what caused part of the dissection and the falling where he broke his ankle.

The many doctors helped get this under control and my Dad made it home for Christmas and back onto his biweekly chemo treatments.

AND after 2 months my Mom got to sleep in her own bed instead of a chair!

Many, Many doctor visits following up on his broken ankle, following up on his stint, getting chemo which included 2 visits per week every other week.

During his time away, I ADA'd their house and installed grab bars in the bathrooms and build t a very sturdy hand rail into their garage from the house so my Dad could manipulate the trip to the car.

Fast forward to today a few months and my Dad has finally put on 10lbs of the 25 he lost, is walking on his own and is about to ditch the cane and no longer needs the wheel chair or walker he used for 3 months.

He had a CT Scan January 8th which showed the chemo working and was reducing the spots on his liver and lung and the mass which had developed and masastitized (don't know how to spell) and which was causing the problem.

And that mass... well it causes the sensation to poop all the time, so massive trips to the john without a result. Remember he was in a chair and walker. Pain in the a$$ to say the least.

Yesterday my Dad walked a half mile without a cane around the block in their neighborhood. He no longer has follow up doctor appointments every few days only his biweekly chemo appointment. Is off all blood pressure meds. And had his next scan March 13th, 8 months after diagnosis.

He looks, acts and feels better than he has during this whole journey and will turn 75 Tuesday March 6th.

My Family now cherishes every day a lot more since we have went through this. Small things are a lot smaller and we learned how easily things change so quickly. My Dad mowed my grass and that night said I think I have to go to the doctor, something isn't right. And he hasn't driven a lawn mower or car since. He recently got his license renewed and that's his next goal. Drive

If not for yourself, for your family, get your colonoscopy.

SL...

Posts: 662 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. kinda | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great advice, and yes, life is precious. We don't think about that enough.
I am getting my 2nd colonoscopy (60) in 2 weeks.
It is a great piece of mind knowing that part of this old body is healthy. (hoping it still is)

Most just don't want to go through the hassle, it is about a 2 day interruption in your life, but worth the time.

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Nice to see he is doing better. I have been through hell for the last three years from that disease. Won't go into it here on a public forum, but let's just say I lost a lot of weight and will never need to use a bathroom ever again.....

I was only 49 when this all started and no family history so no need for an exam at that time......

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll be 77 in 3 weeks and just got this maybe a month ago and all is good---this is my 3rd one and have never found anything yet----also had endoscopy at the same time with same results. Sure gives me peace of mind.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Took my Dad to buy himself an early birthday present today. He wanted to go to Lowes and get a new BBQ. I knew he needed one and used it daily before this happened. Wasn't sure he was going to need it but he called last night and asked me to take him. He was excited. Pretty cool.

SL...

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In September of 2017 i was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that had spread to my liver. At the age of 37 not what i was expecting to hear. If something is not working or feeling right get checked up.

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffW289:
In September of 2017 i was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that had spread to my liver. At the age of 37 not what i was expecting to hear. If something is not working or feeling right get checked up.

Damn, you are in the beginning stages of this battle, good luck!

I know they call it colorectal cancer, but it is two different things. Colon cancer and rectal cancer. The location is like real estate, location means everything! Colon cancer can show it's ugly head very late. Rectal cancer typically shows earlier and leaves the patient with better odds of survival.

I don't wish either one on anyone. Karma......

I hope they are able to help you, it is a difficult road.....

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
2018 will mark 12 years since my rectal cancer episode.
If I had listened to my GP Doc and started getting exams at 40-42 years old, my outcome would have been dramatically different, but nevertheless, I'm grateful to have been able to meet my grandkids.

I also didn't listen to Bill Simpson when he told me I would never drive my race car again, but that's another story......

Guys, digital exams and colonoscopy, GET IT DONE!!!!!
If you EVER see ANY trace of blood in your stool or on your paper, GO IMMEDIATELY TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1658 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks mike beck
Treatments have shown a "miraculous improvement" quoted from my doctor. It is a battle for sure.

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Scott, thanks for sharing the story, and am super happy to hear your dad is doing well. Scary time.

Mike Beck, sorry to hear your journey has been rough. I hope it gets better.

Jeff, I hope your improvements keep on coming.

Dave, glad you're here, and got that time to meet your grandkids.

MikeB4963, you're dead on with 2 zeroes. It's a small bit of time to give up, and it really is not a big deal. I had mine last month, and it went fine. 2 benign polyps, come back in 5 years.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of victo
posted Hide Post
just turned 51 and sent in my first screening test.the miracles of modern medicine and testing is amazing

2012 West Coast Pro Gas E/Gas Champion

Posts: 523 | Location: Novato | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post