NHRA is dying

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/6187012996

September 03, 2022, 07:58 AM
1320racer
NHRA is dying
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
I don't know of any test and tune/grudge nights that are suffering. And there is a good number of young people at them, both participating and just watching. It has got to be some of the lowest priced actual on-track participation available anywhere. It's not my cup of tea (nor, I suspect, anyone else's posting here), but there is no denying that it is both extremely cheap and extremely popular...and it's about cars.

But I don't travel around the country looking at test and tune nights. Maybe this only happens like this in my area. Take care. Tom Worthington

Test/tuners, many with imports, don’t make the move to competition. The lanes are also full of older guys either having fun with their street car or making laps in their race car that they no longer race competitively.
September 03, 2022, 08:50 AM
Tom396
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Test/tuners, many with imports, don’t make the move to competition. The lanes are also full of older guys either having fun with their street car or making laps in their race car that they no longer race competitively.

Exactly. And it is the life blood for many dragstrips. In fact (again only from what I see in this area) most track operators would give up all their other dragstrip events before they would give up their test and tune sessions. The only exception to that rule seems to be the tracks who rent out their track to other promoters.

Just having fun and spending very little money to do it. Kinda how bracket racing took off from class legal racing. And yes, those who are doing it really still love their cars...even the young ones. Smile Is there no lesson to be learned there? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
September 03, 2022, 09:47 AM
1320racer
I agree most tracks make money on a test/tune night but most tracks also only have 1 T/T night for a reason and that is because they ain’t coming 2 or more nights a week in the same numbers.
September 03, 2022, 10:37 AM
Mike Rietow
When Art Malone (RIP) owned Sunshine Dragstrip there was no test n tune.

Zero zilch test n tune until 1999.

300-350 cars every Friday night, 41 races a season... Super Pro, Pro, Street, Super Pro Motorcycle.

First rd 8pm sharp, final rounds midnight sharp.

No buy backs

Sunshine won NHRA bracket finals Div 2 every year.

Not Bradenton, but Sunshine.

Art Malone owned Sunshine & Bradenton.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
September 03, 2022, 11:08 AM
Mike Rietow
Troy Sr and Jennette Wiliams ran Sunshine for Art Malone.

Art Malone was the Eye in the sky, never came out of the tower, no one barely ever saw him but he was there.

Troy Sr did track prep. There's no better prep guy (manager) than Troy Sr. He taught Wade.

My Nova was raced at Sunshine since it was new in 1969.

NHRA - Drag Racing is dying at the same rate as Americana is dying.

I'm sure everyone saw the anointed ones speech.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
September 08, 2022, 10:37 PM
double trouble
So, drag racing goes belly up............
What do you do, invest in huge warehouses?
There's a lot of racing goes on between them.
Want younger racers? go to a small/big tire race and you'll find them.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........
September 13, 2022, 01:12 PM
1320racer
https://www.dragzine.com/featu...nging-circumstances/
September 13, 2022, 01:25 PM
Al Alguire
Well out west here hopefully is not a precursor for the rest of the country, at least D7 anyway. We are down to almost no options racetrack wise. Alot of folks trying to decide what to do with their equipment at this point. Some are heading back to the streets, that scene is alive and kicking out here for sure. Not talking the TV fantasy BS but the hard core street racing.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
September 13, 2022, 02:15 PM
Curly1
NHRA is Dying? Well for sure it is not growing like it should. In 2002 we had 5 tracks in Dallas/ Fort Worth and every track ran about 22 week schedule for the points. We had about 200 or more cars trying to make each of the bracket teams of 50 cars. We had 19 tracks at our Division 4 Bracket Finals. Now we have 8 tracks and some are not even sending a team or can not get a full 50.

We probably had an easy 5 times more cars racing every week than we do now.

The average age of the racers was probably around 35-40 now it is probably closer to 55-60.

The NHRA started the Jr Dragster class to get younger people involved and it has brought a few in but certainly not the numbers needed to grow or even maintain.

Now you add in high gas prices, inflation, lower car count (which eventually will mean lower payout) and it is going to get worse.

I am not saying NHRA is dead or even dying but I am saying something needs to change quickly before it gets worse. And I am not going to say having a good turn out at Indy for one race means Drag racing is out of the woods and the future is bright again.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
September 13, 2022, 02:25 PM
Mike Rietow
Keep following Left coast WEF globalist mandates and drinking the MSM cool-aid, you'll be mad max racing in no time.

You reap what you sow.

September 13, 2022, 04:43 PM
RPROGAS
"Street take overs" is not an option, at least not here in San Diego. The police have taken a very active role in arresting everyone involved, including spectators. Everyone gets to visit City Jail, find a bail bondsman and then a Lawyer. Cars get a ride on the back of a wrecker to the nearest impound yard and the towing and storage fees begin.

Barona holds a Friday night "Street Racer' event that has produced really large turnouts. The income from the Friday night events is helping to improve the track since there is no purse.

Bob
September 13, 2022, 05:39 PM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
"Street take overs" is not an option, at least not here in San Diego. The police have taken a very active role in arresting everyone involved, including spectators. Everyone gets to visit City Jail, find a bail bondsman and then a Lawyer. Cars get a ride on the back of a wrecker to the nearest impound yard and the towing and storage fees begin.

Barona holds a Friday night "Street Racer' event that has produced really large turnouts. The income from the Friday night events is helping to improve the track since there is no purse.

Bob

I do not have a problem with them arresting and convicting those Street Racing. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM LETTING OUT ROBBERS, RAPISTS DRUG DEALERS AND NOT LOCKING THEM AWAY.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

September 15, 2022, 09:49 AM
BP758
quote:
Originally posted by double trouble:
So, drag racing goes belly up............
What do you do, invest in huge warehouses?
There's a lot of racing goes on between them.
Want younger racers? go to a small/big tire race and you'll find them.

Not worthy

See you at Bakersfield.

Raceless in California!
September 15, 2022, 02:43 PM
imakehp
When I street raced we met in a parking lot and worked out races and then quietly left the lot in different directions to lose any "spectators", then met at the agreed-upon street, did a burnout, and raced. There and gone in a minute or two.
Back to the parking lot to try and find another race.
It only has to be a long drawn-out production if it's be filmed for TV..

Dave

F J B

September 21, 2022, 04:29 PM
sc4087
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
When I street raced we met in a parking lot and worked out races and then quietly left the lot in different directions to lose any "spectators", then met at the agreed-upon street, did a burnout, and raced. There and gone in a minute or two.

This !!! If I could only go back to 1982 and street race like we did back then. We had way more fun. The TV drama BS is just track race cars with $100k engines doing made up drama for Tv.

Mike Greene

September 21, 2022, 04:36 PM
1320racer
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
$100k engines

A lot more!
September 21, 2022, 04:58 PM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

This !!! If I could only go back to 1982 and street race like we did back then. We had way more fun. The TV drama BS is just track race cars with $100k engines doing made up drama for Tv.

I liked the show when it first came out it was like real street racing. (I know we not supposed to) Then in second or third season they all started wearing sponsors hats and shirts, even Bob the Dummy had sponsors hats and shirts.
I got to where I change the channel every time Farmtruck and AZN try to do Stupid Pet Tricks or Wanna Be Comedy.

Sponsor money changed everything and then they started having these stupid expensive cars and motors. Now some of their rigs look like Professional Top Fuel teams.
I can do with out the BS fake Drama they CREATE. Just like some here they need to STFU and drag it out there and run them. I have had several friends on some of the shows and they said some of it is scripted and they only show what they want to show.
It has become almost like wrestling on TV.
But I do not blame them they are making good money and created a big business or took advantage of one when it showed up on their door. I bet they have cashed every check they got.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

September 21, 2022, 09:23 PM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
NHRA is Dying? Well for sure it is not growing like it should. In 2002 we had 5 tracks in Dallas/ Fort Worth and every track ran about 22 week schedule for the points. We had about 200 or more cars trying to make each of the bracket teams of 50 cars. We had 19 tracks at our Division 4 Bracket Finals. Now we have 8 tracks and some are not even sending a team or can not get a full 50.

We probably had an easy 5 times more cars racing every week than we do now.

The average age of the racers was probably around 35-40 now it is probably closer to 55-60.

The NHRA started the Jr Dragster class to get younger people involved and it has brought a few in but certainly not the numbers needed to grow or even maintain.

Now you add in high gas prices, inflation, lower car count (which eventually will mean lower payout) and it is going to get worse.

I am not saying NHRA is dead or even dying but I am saying something needs to change quickly before it gets worse. And I am not going to say having a good turn out at Indy for one race means Drag racing is out of the woods and the future is bright again.

An argument can be made here that we believe the state of the world is exactly as we see it around us locally. The scene is a disaster in your area. But locally here, it's really not bad. Maybe not the highest ever numbers. But decent car counts at our local track. The next closest has great car counts. We have 4-5 tracks within reasonable driving distance in Northern Illinois.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
September 21, 2022, 10:13 PM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

An argument can be made here that we believe the state of the world is exactly as we see it around us locally. The scene is a disaster in your area. But locally here, it's really not bad. Maybe not the highest ever numbers. But decent car counts at our local track. The next closest has great car counts. We have 4-5 tracks within reasonable driving distance in Northern Illinois.

We have several good tracks in DFW area and they have a good turn out at the bracket races but unlike before there is not 5 tracks running same days and 200+ people trying to make each team. That is about 1000 cars a week racing in DFW and I do not think we have any where near that many now.

They could not draw a good car count if tracks ran same days now like they used to. Most tracks are running far less bracket races than the 22 or 23 week schedule we used to run. And they are not running same days much.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

October 08, 2022, 02:01 PM
Big Steve
Close to 800 cars at the NHRA D3 Double in STL, 156 in stock alone this weekend. Yep NHRA is dying