Notify
Tools

NHRA is dying
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
Many economists predict a WHOPPER of a recession in 2023.

This might be an Indy to remember for quite some time.

All the years I’ve raced - I’ve never seen a recession hurt a drag racer. Might slow them down a bit but very resourceful!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will be a slow death BUT that is exactly what everybody voted for. These people in power campaigned on it (to kill all fossil fuel development).
What will be interesting is how will everyone heat their homes, get to work etc.
There is natural gas shortage and diesel shortage here in the northeast due to them sending it all to Europe and Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...-winter-reserves-lag

I think the reason that races are pretty busy now is that we all know what is coming.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
NHRA is Dying. Well from my best guess in 2004 there was probably easy 4 to 5 times more cars racing EVERY week than there is now. So this problem is not new and that is why the NHRA started the Junior Dragster program in hopes of bringing it back.

1. I bet most of the other sports like Bull Riding, motocross, Soccer and everything else are down in participation since the early 2000's also.

2. While the problem of losing participation and new blood is not new I think the economy may make it much worse. (Hope I am wrong but I am not)

3. We did not vote for that there was MASSIVE VOTER FRAUD in the six swing States and they knew they did not have to win the whole Country just squeak by in those swing States.

4. With this economy now we are now looking at a very real possibility of a Bad Depression. We have never in our History have a debt like we do now and at some point we are going to have to pay that debt. If you think it is bad now just wait.

5. Yesterday Biden went all in and said he is going to take away our guns and the Inflation Reduction act is really the New Green Deal and it is not over just starting. He thinks all future cars will be electric and we will go along with it.

6. I have seen car counts on some races drop to about 1/3 of what they were just before the Plandemic hit. Some classes can not afford to go any lower.

Bottom line is Drag Racing is not on Biden's approved activities for us so we are going to have to fight to keep it in addition to an NHRA that seems to try to run off all Spectators, Sponsors and Racers.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Drag racing dying has nothing to do with the economy nor who is in the White House. It’s death started at least 2 decades ago and is due to changes in society and technology

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So the current administration has nothing to do with our good precious metals ( being used for bearings, rods , blocks etc) plus fuel being sent to the war in Ukraine. That has no bearing (pun) on our racing?
It h a s and it w i l l have an affect on our racing.

pentastarrail got it right!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again dumbass it was dying long before Biden

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I'm old and went to Indy in 1966 to race !
I/SA class runner up

I'm watching Stock right now and they are FLYING...1 second under or you're slow

No matter what it's still impressive to me to run that fast with some limited engine modification rules

Yes they spend a lot of money to do it but to each his own and yes it is an older group but still hugely popular with good car counts at many events....

Indy once could have 1000 or more cars so they are doing just fine today after many, many years.

Great history Rich.
And you had a blast doing that I bet! Huge accomplishment! Not worthy
Keeps me busy. Stock is Comp 30 years ago now. . I’m having a new set of Edelbrock heads done now. Thinking of moving up a tad.. I’ve got three sets of 291 Little stock heads and one 840 Tilburg/Little set. Getting prepared! Working on one more block with S&S.
I think things will go South / East here and stay healthy anywhere but Ca.

Trust me Barry if my health wasn't in jeopardy and it is....I'd love to be back in a Stocker that was capable of at least being competitive.....and being at Indy.

Flat towing like we did in 1966 with a '58 Pontiac tow car with bad brakes and a blown exhaust pipe is not my idea of fun anymore though.....!!!LOL

Right now I’m happy just watching and answering Onan generator problem messages and calls from Indy

It’s only Wednesday and we’re up to 3 so far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Why is everyone rooting for the end of time? Everything is dying including me and all of us on this earth, one day at a time, I'm just not in a hurry to get there. Every day we live a day we die a day. things run in cycles, NHRA has had a good run and it's just a matter of if they adapt.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Drag racing dying has nothing to do with the NHRA Not adapting.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Well TD better stay around at least one more season, I just ordered 8 new pistons and 2 sets of rods Big Grin

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clapping

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
ughhhh here we go name calling. Make ya feel good?
Its not dying, it has slowed down in participation. Yes the white house is partially responsible for the decline as I stated. Parts are not recovering where they were. Many race business have gone under due too the White House.

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong it is absolutely dying and has been for a long time. Not the White House fault, not NHRA fault rather a change in culture, specifically we no longer have a car culture in this country, Americans, specifically young men are no longer in love with their cars and without that there is no drag racing, no spectators.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Truth! If you need an explanation you aren’t paying attention.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 67 Goat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wrong it is absolutely dying and has been for a long time. Not the White House fault, not NHRA fault rather a change in culture, specifically we no longer have a car culture in this country, Americans, specifically young men are no longer in love with their cars and without that there is no drag racing, no spectators.

Pretty much how it is in a nutshell. Worked with my dad since I was 20 years old, 46 now and he's retired. We used to constantly do performance mods on cars left and right. Now the average 25-30 year old dude walks in here in his pajamas and has his mom pay for his brakes and oil change and doesn't lift his head up from his phone while she pays the bill. It's sad, but its reality. I used to hang on my dad's every word when it came to racing, the same with all of his friends who had race cars. I read every Hot Rod magazine there was over and over again to learn. Things change, everything comes to an end someday. One day there will be no NFL or NBA either, they aren't exempt from it. Just have to enjoy it as much as we can for as long as we can.

Posts: 18 | Location: Delray Beach, FL | Registered: May 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It was mentioned above that there is not a car culture anymore. If you park 8 late model sedans side by side, painted the same color, and remove all the badging and try to id them, I bet you cant. The same goes for most SUVs. What do the current generation have to pick from,Nothing. Yes, you can get a COPO, Hellcat, Cobra, for 80k, but the days of turning your Chevelle or Fairlane into a race car for next to nothing, are long gone. and WTF is up with a 4 door Charger. Thats just not right. And where the hell are you going to put a 440 into todays Dart?

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jump in a 700 hp third gen Camaro and drive around on the street with it, then tell yourself there's no car culture in America... BULLCHIT!

Drive that same 700 hp third Gen Camaro up to the pump at any gas station, you'll have a minimum of twenty young people looking at it,or however many young people are at the store.

The problem for any passion that takes discretionary money, whether it be hot rodding or sail boating is discretionary money.

Young people have none, the ladders of opportunity we were afforded were offshored to china.

6 in 10 young people under 29 years old, with degree's live at home in their childhood bedrooms.

The country was sold out, tax payers paid the moving bill for American companies to move to china too.

The biggest con going is that we're going to war with china. The US politicians / oligarchy / establishment built china.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
For the same reason TOYS R US went belly up, is the same reason young people don't build Hot Rods.

How do you justify building a hot car, when you can't build a family.

That's also why these Hot Rod shows are so popular, young people live vicariously through them.

Watch George Carlins American Dream YouTube, it explains the shytier and shytier jobs and who's behind it all.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike, I agree with you, they will look at it. Its eye candy, but when it comes time to buy it will be a Prius or Camry or a Sentra.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
If you need an explanation you aren’t paying attention.

ferndaleflyer…KNOWS!