Notify
Tools

WDRA
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

What does the new WDRA offer that IHRA and NHRA do not?

They won't be spending sporsman racers money on shooting off fireworks for John Force.

If Carl Blanton is involved...you better know it's legit. Carl knows more about catering to the little guy than anybody.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again the NHRA ain’t worried about the latest startup, they and us have seen the failed attempts to compete with them before.

That said, I could see a few NHRA member tracks making the move depending on their location, market and program but the question remains unanswered, what does the WDRA do for the track’s owners bottom line because in the end it’s all about $!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
IMO the only person who's going to benefit from WDRA and IHRA competing is NHRA.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think NHRA would benefit from the WDRA but it does appear that IHRA has more to lose here.

The question I have is how (or IF) we the racers will benefit?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Last night, local track I-30 Dragway hosted a live video to announce the change in ownership, and they also are going the WDRA route, from IHRA.

Tomorrow night (Thursday) they will be holding a live online Q&A session with new track owner Jacob McNeal. (via I-30 Dragway on FB).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
To try and get the thread back on track, Wes Buck interviewed Don Scott of the WDRA on his Drag Illustrated podcast this week.
go to 1:24:40 of the podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrtsZYoBpY

This is the second interview I've watched of Don Scott. The first thing is in the short period of time since the announcement he has made a lot of progress and has gotten a lot of coverage. In all of the years of reading DI they never gave IHRA any coverage to speak of. From the 2 interviews it sounds like they will have a good program especially for track operators compared to what they've had in the past.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
has jeffers said anything yet

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
To try and get the thread back on track, Wes Buck interviewed Don Scott of the WDRA on his Drag Illustrated podcast this week.

This is the second interview I've watched of Don Scott. The first thing is in the short period of time since the announcement he has made a lot of progress and has gotten a lot of coverage. In all of the years of reading DI they never gave IHRA any coverage to speak of. From the 2 interviews it sounds like they will have a good program especially for track operators compared to what they've had in the past.

Drag Illustrated scratches the back of whoever gives them money. If you pay attention they'll never actually give any attention to anyone who doesn't pay them.

Every interview I've seen with the WDRA guy has been the same story. Insurance...Insurance...Insurance. Now he's touting 250k for a sportsman program, but doesn't ever say is that over the entire season, is it 1 race, if its 250k total purse for even 15 races per season....over 5 categories that is only $3,333 total purse per category.

Not any better than a local program.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:
quote:

Drag Illustrated scratches the back of whoever gives them money. If you pay attention they'll never actually give any attention to anyone who doesn't pay them.

Isn't that what your suppose to do when you have sponsors?

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s the way all publications pay the bills to some extent. Just gotta be aware of it and take some of it with a grain of salt

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Every interview I've seen with the WDRA guy has been the same story. Insurance...Insurance...Insurance. Now he's touting 250k for a sportsman program, but doesn't ever say is that over the entire season, is it 1 race, if its 250k total purse for even 15 races per season....over 5 categories that is only $3,333 total purse per category.

WDRA is the industry though, it's a little different.

Contingency is where the money is.

Where does the contingency come from? Industry.

Contingency is guaranteed money aside from the purse, it comes in the mail guaranteed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a contingency sticker, came in the mail certified, with instructions.

If I had it on my car last weekend at Orlando Speed World, I would've gotten guaranteed contingency money on top of the guaranteed purse, paid by the track.

Another leader in the Industry called Monday morning to inform me a check is in the mail, on my way.

This is the difference with WDRA... It's the drag racing Industry.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is real simple. Industry didn't like NHRA was the only insurance game in town during lockdowns.

If you can't open for business because of insurance stipulations, you go belly up.

These people are patriots who understand it's illegal according to the constitution, to shut peoples business's down arbitrarily.

So they got their own insurance. Simple as that.

Follow or get out of the way - George Patton

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The interests of the NHRA and the interests of regular Jimmy's and Joe's who bracket race or sportsman race as a hobby seem to have been on diverging paths for a good little while now. I have no specific beef with the NHRA, they owe me nothing, I have no idea who this Jeffers fellow is, I have no idea who or what is driving WDRA...BUT...if ever there was an opening or a "right time" for a new sanctioning body, this might be it.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but the NHRA's sale of my home track (Atlanta Dragway) to a developer who promptly closed it pretty much said to me that they have zero interest in promoting or guaranteeing the long term health of grassroots racing.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Stated another way, it looks to me like NHRA is going to ride the nitro circus cash cow until that particular cow falls over dead, and then they're going to pull golden parachutes and ride off into the sunset.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL! DI has done several articles on Loose Rocker over the years, and I was interviewed for a separate piece once. None of these involved any form of payment or reciprocation whatsoever. Publications need content that will not only engage audiences, but also provide space for advertising to be placed around.

quote:

LOL! The $250,000 program was clearly noted as being the WDRA SDRS World Championship, not any regular program or Bracket Finals (which was even posted back on page 4). Yes, that fund will be divided up among the classes competing at the World Championship event... just like IHRA. There's very little difference.

It would be nice if people wouldn't just make things up...

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
WDRA, Contingency Connection Sign Multi-Year Agreement Benefitting Tracks and Racers

In an unparalleled move, the World Drag Racing Alliance (WDRA) has announced a multi-year partnership agreement with the Contingency Connection to offer an incredible opportunity to WDRA member tracks and racers.

Through an exclusive alliance, the WDRA and Contingency Connection will deliver national sponsorship opportunities to local racetracks. WDRA will offer member tracks a $1,000 discount towards enrollment in Contingency Connection’s Racer Rewards program. Additionally, Contingency Connection and WDRA will reward each class champion at each of the 2023 WDRA Bracket Finals events and WDRA Sportsman Drag Racing Series World Championships a Racer Awards Book valued at over $4000, totaling a program value of benefits to WDRA racers at $112,000.

In addition to the opportunity to join Contingency Connection at an exclusive discount, one WDRA member track will win a free enrollment into the 2023 Contingency Connection awards program valued at $2850. Details on this opportunity will be announced soon.

“Our partnership with Contingency Connection is a prime example of WDRA building benefits for our track operators and member racers,” said WDRA President, Don Scott. “Contingency Connection has been providing undeniable value for 30 years with their awards program and allowing racers to save real money on parts and accessories, they use on a regular basis. The WDRA is happy to provide a chunk of the cost toward providing that value.”

WDRA track operators now have an affordable opportunity to bring sponsorship through this program to their track. Contingency Connection will guarantee $50,000-$100,000 in national contingency awards to each WDRA member track that opts in and will provide Mid-Season awards and Champions Bonus Banquet Awards packages to all participating WDRA member tracks.

“While our reach is great—the concept is simple,” said Contingency Connection’s President, Jackie Ressa. “Tracks and racers need sponsors. Sponsors need tracks and racers. Racers simply run decals of sponsors with products they use (or would like to use) to win valuable manufacturer coupon awards. Winning racers receive a Racer Rewards Book worth thousands of dollars in discounts towards the purchase of performance products. Ressa noted, “While most sponsorship programs require racers to buy or use a particular product on their racecar to earn awards—Contingency Connection sponsors believe in rewarding and supporting all grassroots racers and tracks through the Racer Rewards program.”

The WDRA is delivering major benefits to everyone involved in their new sanction by partnering with

Continency Connection. Racers can race with parts that pay for themselves and race more often.

Manufacturers can build loyalty to their brands while supporting well-deserving racers and tracks.

Posts: 2101 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's called critical reading skills. IQ

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yes! Read that last paragraph carefully.

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good perk. My experience with coupon books hasn’t been great though. Seldom do I need what they give coupons for. And when there is something, I pay a much higher base price to purchase direct instead of the discounted pricing through summit or others. So the discount makes it a wash.
I won’t look the gift horse in the mouth. It’s great to offer this. I do like cash though. Lol

I’m guessing no partnership with Summit will happen this being the case.
I’ve really never understood the pricing structure that ends up with me paying more through the manufacture. Cutting out the middle man and all. Probably how the agreements are with summit and others.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post