Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MadMax4040:
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

Amarillo Dragway
Poseidon Raceway Park (Formerly I-30 I believe)

What's going on here?

I-30 Dragway was moving to WDRA. Then new Ownership took over in September and the new owner announced they would stick with IHRA.

Amarillo changed after the bracket finals announcement. Assumption is they planned to go to WDRA but when their bracket finals would be in Gulfport, MS (13 1/2 hours away) they switched back to IHRA.

As it's been stated numerous times, WDRA doesn't begin official operations until January 1st, 2023. Things can change in Q4 of 2022 leading into Q1 of 2023, but the thought would be to let the track's customers know earlier rather than later on the decision and to get the word out. This doesn't mean it won't change before they sign the contracts for 1/1/2023 and beyond.

According to their 90 day business evaluation that was shared on their Facebook page they SIGNED 41 tracks. So are they actually signing tracks now or should they be saying they assume 41 tracks are signing? I see they cleaned up their website as well with track listings.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like ROXBORO fell off too. Still a solid showing for NC/SC. Should be interesting.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Piedmont just announced they renewed with IHRA. But WDRA still shows Piedmont as a member track on their site?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they went IHRA also. I also noticed IHRA signed a few previously unsanctioned tracks.

I came across a thread on Facebook where a WDRA track owner claims that IHRA promised the bracket finals to a few different tracks in the same division, and that's why they switched from WDRA back to IHRA. Personally, I haven't seen where WDRA is offering anything above and beyond what the other two already are that would make me want to switch.

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve140:
Yeah, they went IHRA also. I also noticed IHRA signed a few previously unsanctioned tracks.

I came across a thread on Facebook where a WDRA track owner claims that IHRA promised the bracket finals to a few different tracks in the same division, and that's why they switched from WDRA back to IHRA. Personally, I haven't seen where WDRA is offering anything above and beyond what the other two already are that would make me want to switch.

That is much of it. We all know the NHRA and IHRA leave much to be desired and so much room for improvement which simply is not going to happen.

That is what opened the door for the WDRA. Now the question is what do they really offer that the others do not? What do they offer that makes it worth while to switch? Can they make the changes that NHRA and IHRA need to do to grow or are they just more of the same?

Best case scenario the future is going to be tough for Drag Racing so time will tell.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The issue I have with WDRA is they consistently release information, that is later proven to be untrue. Reminds me of major news channels these days.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
Holytown,

Please enlighten us on your statement " proven to be untrue" What was proven to be untrue and where are the facts to backup your statement.
I am sure alot of people would love to know more on this.. Is there more to it than you just read something on facebook.

Posts: 177 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turk:
Holytown,

Please enlighten us on your statement " proven to be untrue" What was proven to be untrue and where are the facts to backup your statement.
I am sure alot of people would love to know more on this.. Is there more to it than you just read something on facebook.

How about WDRA's recent press release, where they claim to be the 2nd Largest sanctioning body in drag racing "Only second to NHRA"? They claimed a false number of tracks, because several of the tracks listed in their count were listed as IHRA the following week.

Which means the tracks were not contractually obligated to WDRA as they stated.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about WDRA's recent press release, where they claim to be the 2nd Largest sanctioning body in drag racing "Only second to NHRA"? They claimed a false number of tracks, because several of the tracks listed in their count were listed as IHRA the following week.

Which means the tracks were not contractually obligated to WDRA as they stated.

"If you're not First you are last"

Not a whole lot to brag about being in second place out of three. (if they are second) And all three are not doing much for the racers, Spectators and Sponsors.
NHRA is the most greedy money Hungry "Non Profit Organization" I have ever seen. They are only in it for the money. We all know that.
And while we all hope the IHRA and WDRA do really good we have not seen much yet. Both have said they are for the Sportsman racers but other than those promises what have they done? IHRA has been around in one form or another for many years and it seems they are just doing enough to survive.

So as far as I am concerned we stand back and give it a chance, try to support them but I am not expecting too much.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The current WDRA organization is comprised of the people who ran IHRA into the ground for the last 10 years.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current WDRA organization is comprised of the people who ran IHRA into the ground for the last 10 years.

I do not know much about that but even before 10 years ago what has IHRA really done? West of Mississippi river they have never done much. West of Rocky Mountains I do not think there is anything. Maybe they were doing what they were told to by owners of IHRA? Do not know.

In any case I am going to give them a chance before I write them off.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Curly is right, they were doing what the owners told them to do and the owners (IRG)had no interest in racing and were slowly dismantling IHRA to line their pockets. When there was nothing left they sold the IHRA brand to the current owners. Rats always abandon a sinking ship, unfortunately most of the rats drown. Lets hope something good comes out of this.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
for all their claims of tracks signed up, appears they were premature with their announcements. As I stated on page 1, I expect the WDRA will succumb to the same fate as the ADRL

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I guess many are holding off on buying their memberships.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Facts Ed, You know what I mean!

And Eman I have not had a membership in any -HRA an maybe 10 years. Has not kept me from racing yet as I have no interest in being tied to one track running points

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
Noticed a few tracks are showing WDRA logo today. Including my home track.

Likely a lot of last minute negotiations going on. Rumors fly and may/may not give full picture. I personaly do not really care. I trust home track to do what best to give us opperunity to race. With a schedule for team/world finals in place there is not a lot to expect. Summit is on board.

I would happily go to team finals again.

Other than a safe track, structured payout and reasonable schedule, should I expect more? Tracks need to cover salaries, expenses and upkeep to survive.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fern
And Eman I have not had a membership in any -HRA an maybe 10 years. Has not kept me from racing yet as I have no interest in being tied to one track running points

I join/pay dues for added insurance safety net, not likely with setup but always possibility of being torped by fast car. Dues negligible cost at best.

Rumor racing here will stop in rainy season, will race up in NC and SC if that happens.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Come on up Muggs. But on the insurance deal I got the VA, to put me back in shape and if it kills me my kids will be rich off of my paid for assets. Plus I paid those blood suckers at the -HRAs for 40 years. They should give me free insurance!

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Obviously the membership and sanctioning body only matter if you want to participate in the points system. If you're not a points racer then it really doesn't matter. A good track is a good track and same goes for bad tracks. Sanctioning bodies and insurance companies don't seem to make any difference in how a track is run.
Never understood how buying a membership entered you into a different level of insurance, seems like blackmail, any lawyers on here want a case?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Skimming through the WDRA rule book last night I found a few interesting things. Parachute anchor bolts are only required to be 3/8" instead of 1/2" like everyone else. WDRA does allow batteries in the pass compartment as long as they are not wet cells. Fuel cell surround tubes only need to be .058 instead of .065. All safety stuff seems to be on the same intervals as other bodies, so I'm still trying to see how the racer gets more "value" from WDRA.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post