DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Goodyear compared to Mickey or Hoosier?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodyear compared to Mickey or Hoosier?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I've been running 3080 33x15x15 or 30771 32x16x15 MT's and they have stopped production of both. I have tried the Hoosier 18372 33x15 seems like a pretty good tire but after 35 passes have a tire issue and they say run it. Goodyear has both 32x16 1408 and 33x15 2078 readily available but have never tried a goodyear (really dislike the yellow letters Smile. How do they compare to a mickey? Goodyear says the sidewalls will be noticeably stiffer.
Hoosier says the tire stuck to the track and pulled rubber off, both tires done it in same area of the tire. I'm afraid to run them and really gun shy to buy another set if it's just gonna happen again. Looks like the tire is separating to me but maybe not.

https://youtu.be/tnDI6ZN_nSA

https://youtu.be/pJtyUwNhn7U

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have run Hoosiers for years never seen this.they look to be cut perhaps loading car on trailer ramps.

Doing my part to raise the average IQ on this board

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mark J
posted Hide Post
Sent you a pm

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtdobber:
I have run Hoosiers for years never seen this.they look to be cut perhaps loading car on trailer ramps.

Agreed. Could have also happened anywhere from your pit spot to to the staging lanes, in the burnout box, on the track and on the return road. Bottomline is I've never seen this in over 3 decades on numerous tire types and sizes in their product line.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

First video looks like it got cut in the burnout box or downtrack,(very clean cut like something sharp? Dzus?) or something, the second one looks like big rocks in the pits.

You been in Delaware County this past weekend?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1612 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
First one look like a slice. Second one looks to be chunked. Was that at 41?. Ran one year there and destroyed a 16/33 D2A by either something sticking out of the ground. between the hit and the lights. . 3/4 of the tire was an actual slice
6.5" from the scuff edge. Bill was driving that day. You know him. No fault of him

The ironic thing on yours, they are both in the scuff area.

AND until you think you have seen it all..

The actual steel cord windings that perforated
at the internal bead area. 25 runs..
I still run the brand. The (H) i tried. shook violently. Had to bring extra Polygrip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The first video looks like doing burnout with rocks in the water box or on the track, the TX Motorplex has a terrible rock problem and I have seen that on numerous tires.

When I had my last Camaro, ran 5.2x in the 1/8th, it was a heavy car and left really hard and always carried the front wheels a good distance, the only tire that would live was the 32x16x15 GY 1408 and it would still kill the sidewall around 100 runs. The 32x16x15 Mickey would kill the sidewall in less than 50 runs. I always knew when they were done because the car would head for the guardrail at the hit. The Hoosier would not fit because the section width was too wide.
I would not hesitate to give the GY1408 a try.

Some carb spray with scotchbrite pad and a rag will remove the yellow letters with a little elbow grease

Posts: 2408 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Don't think it is a cut because both tires have it in exact same area on the tire. I sent those pics to Hoosier and they said it was likely a chunk pulled out and not a cut but who knows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: inferno camaro,

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have no idea when or where it happened. I only noticed when rotating them.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
First one look like a slice. Second one looks to be chunked. Was that at 41?. Ran one year there and destroyed a 16/33 D2A by either something sticking out of the ground. between the hit and the lights. . 3/4 of the tire was an actual slice
6.5" from the scuff edge. Bill was driving that day. You know him. No fault of him

The ironic thing on yours, they are both in the scuff area.

AND until you think you have seen it all..

The actual steel cord windings that perforated
at the internal bead area. 25 runs..
I still run the brand. The (H) i tried. shook violently. Had to bring extra Polygrip.

Holy cow, that is crazy. Not sure when or where it happened.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Saw the same thing around three maybe four years ago. The track was extremely tight and every tire maker there had the same issue. It just tries to rip the hide off. It sounds like your track is very tight prep?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I've been running 3080 33x15x15 or 30771 32x16x15 MT's and they have stopped production of both. I have tried the Hoosier 18372 33x15 seems like a pretty good tire but after 35 passes have a tire issue and they say run it. Goodyear has both 32x16 1408 and 33x15 2078 readily available but have never tried a goodyear (really dislike the yellow letters Smile. How do they compare to a mickey? Goodyear says the sidewalls will be noticeably stiffer.
Hoosier says the tire stuck to the track and pulled rubber off, both tires done it in same area of the tire. I'm afraid to run them and really gun shy to buy another set if it's just gonna happen again. Looks like the tire is separating to me but maybe not.

https://youtu.be/tnDI6ZN_nSA

https://youtu.be/pJtyUwNhn7U

That is not a cut, it's a chuck but Ed would never admit it! LOL Big Grin And they all blame anything but the tire! The rubber tread delaminated from the tire first then it ripped a chunk off! It's just gonna get worse if you keep running them.

BTW the long one looks like it started right at the tire wear hole!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran GY 2078 for years without 1 issue, I can't say that about the other brands.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Saw the same thing around three maybe four years ago. The track was extremely tight and every tire maker there had the same issue. It just tries to rip the hide off. It sounds like your track is very tight prep?

Normally not really but I did run a couple races where they had Brandon Mass with Mass traction doing the prep and it was tight.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If Hoosier said the tire stuck and pulled a piece off, I'd tend to agree with them. Surprised they suggest running it.
I saw a pair of 3080's on marketplace last night for $1000 new. I guess we have hit the day of the racing slick black market.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6369 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Hoosier said the tire stuck and pulled a piece off, I'd tend to agree with them. Surprised they suggest running it.
I saw a pair of 3080's on marketplace last night for $1000 new. I guess we have hit the day of the racing slick black market.

Those 3080 are mine...i paid 410ea plus tax..plus i went through nightmare to get them!! so 1000 i break even barely

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
The last time I ran at that track, my front tires were literally covered in a 1/4 inch coating of rubber from the track. Rubber was peeling off the track everywhere. There were stripes of bare concrete showing all over the surface. I had to use a drill and circular wire brush to remove the rubber off my tires. I've been to a lot of poorly prepped tracks and this one has to rank near the top. I won't be returning there again.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I found a place that has the 3080 in stock but figure I may as well move on to something else since they are not being built any longer. Either move on now or later, plus I've grown sick of fighting to get a matched set that will balance. The Hoosier was pretty good just not quite as consistent on my car as the MT's. I'm concerned about the issue I had with these, it could have been a fluke or maybe not but really hate to buy another set just to have it happen again.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
The last time I ran at that track, my front tires were literally covered in a 1/4 inch coating of rubber from the track. Rubber was peeling off the track everywhere. There were stripes of bare concrete showing all over the surface. I had to use a drill and circular wire brush to remove the rubber off my tires. I've been to a lot of poorly prepped tracks and this one has to rank near the top. I won't be returning there again.

Come on back Dave, it is not like that anymore and your buddies can confirm that. Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
This happened last fall, so unless something changed over the winter remains to be seen.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post