DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Goodyear compared to Mickey or Hoosier?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodyear compared to Mickey or Hoosier?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
At 41?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucky:
If Hoosier said the tire stuck and pulled a piece off, I'd tend to agree with them. Surprised they suggest running it.
QUOTE]

Bucky, I thought drag slicks were designed to stick to the track!

Come on man!

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
If Hoosier said the tire stuck and pulled a piece off, I'd tend to agree with them. Surprised they suggest running it.
QUOTE]

Come on man!

Hoosiers are good at it for sure. I wouldn't expect that damage though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
This happened last fall, so unless something changed over the winter remains to be seen.

Wow that is shocking. I've been running there since the new owners took over a couple years ago and never had any issue. Hell they had a three day race last year and they were out there at 2AM scraping the track and there was no need for it that I could see. We went up and delivered some liquid refreshment for them just to see what they were doing.
Is the track smooth as glass no, but I have no issue running 4.90's-5.0's every time I go.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
QUOTE]

Come on man!

That was what I thought, tire sticks good and ruins it Frown

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
They still running that Backward stuff there?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
QUOTE]

Come on man!

In all fairness to ALL the tire companies,,, I don't think anyone really understand what we are asking the tires to do and the hell they go through run after run or never gave it a thought. In the burnout, they are still free spinning (relatively) and you begin to lift the tire has a bunch of wheel speed but once it slows enough it grabs the track, even harder if you do your burnout too far and lift in the prepped part of the track. When the tire grabs the track it tries to shear the rubber of the tire. Same deal at the hit, the rubber to rubber and or the rubber to the rest of the tire's bond needs to be strong enough to resist the shear force that is applied! Hoosier saying it dead hooked and caused this issue is BS or 100% correct depending on how you look at it! It's BS because they are using it as an excuse! At the hit, All tires have to hook before it spins if you have enough power to spin the tire. Why do you think fuel car tires do this all the time? They spin the tires during the launch and still chuck them.

So the real question boils down to this, is this issue a manufacturing or QA issue, or have the raw materials changed that can't handle the loads applied, or has all the tech that has allowed everyone to go faster and faster every year over loaded the tire, or better track prep or ???

Nothing is perfect,,, service AFTER the sale means a lot to me....

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
They still running that Backward stuff there?

I'm not sure if had any of that last year or not.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Hoosier says the tire stuck to the track and pulled rubber off

who specifically at Hoosier did you speak to?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Frank Papp and Steve Hudspeth.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you suspect it is a tire issue, you should be speaking to Faron

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank Papp and Steve Hudspeth.

Did Farron Lubbers retire? It's been years since I have spoken to him but he was really knowledgeable.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
QUOTE]

Come on man!

In all fairness to ALL the tire companies,,, I don't think anyone really understand what we are asking the tires to do and the hell they go through run after run or never gave it a thought. In the burnout, they are still free spinning (relatively) and you begin to lift the tire has a bunch of wheel speed but once it slows enough it grabs the track, even harder if you do your burnout too far and lift in the prepped part of the track. When the tire grabs the track it tries to shear the rubber of the tire. Same deal at the hit, the rubber to rubber and or the rubber to the rest of the tire's bond needs to be strong enough to resist the shear force that is applied! Hoosier saying it dead hooked and caused this issue is BS or 100% correct depending on how you look at it! It's BS because they are using it as an excuse! At the hit, All tires have to hook before it spins if you have enough power to spin the tire. Why do you think fuel car tires do this all the time? They spin the tires during the launch and still chuck them.

So the real question boils down to this, is this issue a manufacturing or QA issue, or have the raw materials changed that can't handle the loads applied, or has all the tech that has allowed everyone to go faster and faster every year over loaded the tire, or better track prep or ???

Nothing is perfect,,, service AFTER the sale means a lot to me....

All good points for sure. Our HVAC company likes to refer to unusual weather days as "outside of design parameters". You can't plan for every kind of weather. And if you try to, you will end up with a product that is overly expensive and may not work well in normal conditions..
It's pretty amazing tires hold up as well as they do considering what they are put through.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
If you suspect it is a tire issue, you should be speaking to Faron

I just sent him the pics and I'll see what he says. Either way I'm probably going to try the 1408 or 2078 GY unless Hoosier works with me. I've tried every other brand so may as well try them too. Heck I even ran a Phoenix one year and may do it again.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I ran GY 2078 for years without 1 issue, I can't say that about the other brands.

Door car or dragster and what ET?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Door car 3480 with me in it , 60 ft 1.38 consistently . 455 pontiac t- 400 6.60 1/8. Not as fast as your car. I know of a few cars that fast that ran the same tire.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We run the Hoosier 18260 on my dads 2740lb door car going 4.80’s.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That is a D5 compound tire correct? They kept telling me that was too soft. I'm starting to discover try everything and use what works. What kind of 60' times?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
70 Mach 1

That is a D5 compound tire correct? They kept telling me that was too soft. I'm starting to discover try everything and use what works. What kind of 60' times?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a D05 compound. We have a set of 3080’s also that are also very consistent but are .05-.06 slower. We have never talked to any manufacturer, just tried some different tires until we found the tire the car liked.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post