New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over Staging
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Is this some breaking news of a new policy?
Have people been allowed to back up in the past?

http://www.nhraracer.com/conte...eid=72135&zoneid=175

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Its the latest....LOOK AT ME...LOOK AT ME...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
back when deep staging was all the rage racers being racers decided if a little is good, then more must be better. So they started driving through until the top bulb went out, then back-up until the top bulb just came back on in effect deep staging as much as possible and somewhat accurately/repeatable...
So nhra made a rule "final staging movement has to be in a forward motion"..that rule has been in effect for at least 20yrs
I don't what the "new" rule is for?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’m sure they put this in writing so if it happens it’s not left as a judgement call by the starter or race control.

If you put 2 lites on before your opponent puts one on, they generally back you up but only one time. Usually the starter makes that call

If you roll thru completely your out, Period and no discussion !

Backing in has not been allowed for many many years. Last motion has to be forward

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Been like that a long time however if you put both light on before your opponent lights his pre then they back you out one time.

Sorry Rich just saw your post.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Courtesy staging is not an NHRA rule, it is a track rule. To me courtesy staging makes no sense. If you want to go in and light both bulbs while I haven't pre-staged, that is your decision. Especially if you wish to sit there for awhile. LOL.... Conversely if I want to light both bulbs while you are messing around, I should be able to.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
This "Policy Update" has absolutely nothing to do with Deep Staging or Courtesy Staging. It specifically states that it pertains to driving THROUGH the Stage beam, meaning the Stage bulb is no longer lit.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
So you're saying that people are out there doing a burnout and stopping as they normally would, then after a few clear outs they are driving across the line and backing up only to put it in gear and stage again??? I haven't seen this new trick yet LOL

Posts: 71 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A 25yr old "new trick"

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Courtesy staging is not an NHRA rule, it is a track rule. To me courtesy staging makes no .

Courtesy staging IS an NHRA rule and is enforced in all sportsman categories at any NHRA Division level or National event...

Bracket racing there is no courtesy staging rule........

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
NHRA is kind of vague on what this is addressing but this might be addressing the rolling back into the beams process.

Dragster does burnout past the starting line then when backing up rolls back into and stops with just prestage on then moves forward into stage.

Door car does a burnout ( not crossing starting line) but continues rolling forward turning both bulbs on quickly hits brakes then quickly backups into prestage then last motion forward is into stage.

Seen door car drivers mess this up and roll forward turning both pre and stage off then backup into prestage. basically they rolled forward too far. It messes up the driver in the other lane if he had prestaged already.

Or it could be some issue with footbraking or trans brake not holding and roll through both beams and try to backup and restage.

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
You guys are overthinking it... They are just clarifying that if you roll through the beams (like when you accidentally stage in 2nd gear so the transbrake doesn't hold), you are out and you don't get to quickly back up and restage. You might get away with it during the time shot at a local bracket race, but I bet a couple of guys had it happen to them at a Divisional, National or Bracket Finals and put up a stink when they got bounced so the NHRA clarified the rule.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 628 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
Courtesy staging is not an NHRA rule, it is a track rule. To me courtesy staging makes no .

Courtesy staging IS an NHRA rule and is enforced in all sportsman categories at any NHRA Division level or National event..

Bracket racing there is no courtesy staging rule........

So none of the NHRA bracket races enforce the courtesy stage rule? Not saying you're mistaken but, I find that hard to believe....

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
.[/QUOTE]

So none of the NHRA bracket races enforce the courtesy stage rule? Not saying you're mistaken but, I find that hard to believe....[/QUOTE]

Courtesy staging is not required in bracket racing at the tracks around here as far as I know.....and has not ever been from what I recall.

Generally everyone does stage as if courtesy staging was the rule but I'm pretty sure it is not...

Deep stagers, footbrake cars running Super and Pro.....You get a number of different scenarios and with Auto Start on there could be issues getting timed out.

I know at footbrake races they usually state how the tree will be run so as to accommodate everyone however they choose to stage....shallow or deep...

2 steps and trans brakes were not allowed in Pro Et around here until a year or two ago.....

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It’s a bad day for a deep stager when they enforce courtesy staging, unless you been schooled. In that case your opponent may have a problem. I can’t think of a bottom bulb race I have attended in years that didn’t say deep honored, or something similar, on their flyer or web site.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
It is nothing more than a red light people...

Once both stage lights are on, if the amber bulbs aren't on and you move through the beams, then you red light.

Individual tracks can allow deep staging, but this applies to NHRA national and divisionals mostly.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Rule book used to say when deep staging that it should be done in one continuous motion, didn’t say it had to be but should be. Now everybody is bumping into their deep stage. Also to courtesy stage when deep staging I would think proper way is to roll in and light both bulbs then if or when opponent has one on you can precede to turn off your top bulb. I see a lot of racers doin it this way now but not all.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
It’s a bad day for a deep stager when they enforce courtesy staging, unless you been schooled. In that case your opponent may have a problem. I can’t think of a bottom bulb race I have attended in years that didn’t say deep honored, or something similar, on their flyer or web site.

Our track says something like allowed but not gauranteed one of our points leaders was livid when they dropped the tree on him before he knocked out the top bulb I think 99% or better it goes off without a hitch.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Also to courtesy stage when deep staging I would think proper way is to roll in and light both bulbs then if or when opponent has one on you can precede to turn off your top bulb. I see a lot of racers doin it this way now but not all.

Agree with you there Clint, that is what our home track wants you to deep stage and I believe it works pretty well.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Every time I have encountered courtesy stageing they expect both cars to have ONE bulb on, you light 2 they back you out which makes it hard for the uneducated deeper to get staged properly....Its up to you to know what the tracks system is and react properly.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post