DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA Cracking Down on Contingency Claims
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA Cracking Down on Contingency Claims
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's and 80's when I worked for TRW two of us walked the staging lanes during the first round and confirmed which cars had the TRW decals on both sides. We listed each car by the NHRA class and competition number but never required a check to see if they actually had the product (pistons and rings). We never required proof of purchase (invoice) so obviously was no expiration date requirement, the two decals were the single requirement. After the event we sent that list to the TRW MotorSport Department in Cleveland. When the car owner submitted the contingency claim it was promptly paid.

Things have changed since then.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Aren't NHRA contingency posters asking for proof that you bought their product in the last year or two? I've been around race vehicles for 50 years and have never looked at the stickers on the podium vehicles. The only sticker I can see is the one that pays the bills,,,, the major sponsor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sst5167:
It looks to me like most people commenting here are making the assumption these drivers "sticker slapped" some decals on their car sometime before the final. Do we know this to be fact? I know 2 of these drivers personally, and I find that hard to believe from either one of them.
Contingency forms have a list of paying companies. That list is handed to the driver as soon as you make the turn off in the final round. There is a column next to the company names with a box labeled "product" and another labeled "decal". The driver checks off all products he/she runs on that particular car. Once finished, he/she hands the list off to a tech guy. The tech guy is supposed to walk around the car to verify that the decal actually exists on the car.
So at this point in time, its usually late Sunday afternoon, and said tech guy has been there for 3-4 days. He's tired, usually somewhat grumpy, and definitely ready to go home! He rushes through his part of the list, not really caring what decals are actually on the car, rather, jsut going through the checked boxes labeled product from the driver.
So maybe, just maybe, these drivers did nothing wrong. Perhaps it was a tired, lazy NHRA tech guy who couldn't wait to get home that made the mistake.
Again, I have NO idea as to any of the details with the above infractions. I'm just throwing out some ideas from my own personal experiences.
did you see harem's car in national dragster? Not a single sticker on the car one round and like 40 stickers on the car in the final... that's pretty funny, like how do you actually think no one will notice?? Adding 1 or 2 to a car that has 30 already, no one would notice, but adding 40? Lol

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
did you see harem's car in national dragster? Not a single sticker on the car one round and like 40 stickers on the car in the final... that's pretty funny, like how do you actually think no one will notice?? Adding 1 or 2 to a car that has 30 already, no one would notice, but adding 40? Lol

Yup

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
I pay out around $2500 a month on contingency and am still amazed how many submit claims with no decals, and some have not even bought our Crew Chief Pro Software.

This is why almost nobody is paying anymore, it literally takes one person to monitor the claims and validate them, far too long per claim.

We still pay NHRA national and divisionals, and IHRA divisionals. We also pay for some bracket races and some club races because we give back. We are always the first to send checks as well. Usually pay the same day we validate. No holding periods like many other companies.

I received a check nearly a year after my last national event runner up. I gave up calling the company, then finally a check arrived, we don't want to be like that.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you can't just take NHRA out of the loop and pay your self if they have purchased and displayed the decals----seems that would be a pretty simple way.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There is one company that is nothing but a pain in the azz to get a check from but they want all the notoriety of being a title sponsor to a couple Pro special races during the year. I spoke with this company at the P.R.I. show last year after hand delivering my info for a win from over two months before, I was told they were thinking about cutting back on contingency. If you want to cut back on contingency you need to do it at the first of the year that way NHRA can forget to hang your banners and run your commercials, bottom line if you want to be apart of it pay up if not I'll take the sticker off or maybe just turn it up side down.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mr. Higgins,

Are you coming to Great Bend?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
(over)30 years ago when I won my first points race a tech man handed my a bunch of decals after the race, and said he'd be by to verify contingency in a few minutes. I already had decals on my car for the products I was using. I didn't add any more decals. I understand your frustration Don.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Mr. Higgins,

Are you coming to Great Bend?

Can't this year, sold house and for some reason the new owners think that weekend is the perfect time to move in...

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post