DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Long race days...strategy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long race days...strategy?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Ok for those of you that run long race days like the one that just happened: How do you manage your energy level for that length of time. Now if they don't start til noon, well it isn't as bad. We had a jr race last weekend that started at 8:00 and we didn't get put away til after 10, and we didn't win it.

So how to you keep the knife sharp? Take naps? Keep eyes out of the sun when you can? Wander around and visit with folks? Obviously staying hydrated and nourished is important. We didn't do anything special, and I was seeing waning performance from the driver later in the night.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Stay hydrated for starters. Take a short snooze 25 minutes or so to calm down. Read a book for a while.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Word is ADDERALL is we’re it’s at....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the last 3 racers yesterday looked to be in pretty good physical condition

Posts: 62 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Local race over the weekend started at 10am Saturday and split after 4th round at 2am. That is a looong day for a local bracket race.

I stayed home and didn't bother going, same way I approach these multi-day, big money races. My mental acuity just isn't there to stay focused that long and my racing window keeps getting smaller and smaller as I get older. I can handle an 8-10 hour window but thats it.

Adderall you say...hmmm

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I could stand to be in better shape. Couldn't be in much better shape than my son though.

How wide spread is the Adderall abuse/usage?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking and hearing the adderall use is bigger than one may think. My son's 20 and he says in that circle lots of the kids are using it (all the examples are prescribed and kids have been on it since very young age), then heard the other day several middle aged racers 40-50 years old are using it too (no clue about prescription or not, just heard rumors of use). I don't think its hard to get a script for it if you ask your Dr. for somethign to help with fatigue and concentration, the stuff has become common place now a days. Its an amphetamine and i don't like the sound of it so, I'll pass and take my naps or drink some coffee/energy drinks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple Nickel,

Posts: 371 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mountain Dew works for me.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
I'm thinking and hearing the adderall use is bigger than one may think. My son's 20 and he says in that circle lots of the kids are using it, then heard the other day several middle aged racers 40-50 years old are using it too. I'll pass and take my naps or drink some coffee.

I vaguely remember when the sanctioning bodies were requiring physicals for jr drivers, that medications like these were a red flag. There was no explanation why, but I suspect that they were considered a performance enhancer of sorts. I believe Tommy Johnson Jr ran into this over in Europe due to a medication he took for his sleep disorder if I remember correctly.

There are obviously some ethical questions about the use of these drugs.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this for a while. I know personally twenty years ago 36 hr days where no issue. Lots of 5 hour sleep total weekends. Not now days.

I was thinking I would need to do a retrain on my body for sleep habits. I have never liked the stuff but have come to where 6 or 7 hours per night is almost a must. Use to be 4 maybe 5 hours. I have had some long nights in shop where I was working and did not know its was 2 AM or so. Down side was I paid for it next day or so.

If working the hole time I would be fine, some kind of Hussle going on. If sitting and waiting for long period. I would out.

I have one solution for you but you may not like. Loose early and get plenty of rest.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Heck with big money races the first and second rounds take long enough for a cpl hours nap.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
The zippered chest pocket on your fire jacket is ment for storing an 8 ball.

Adderall? Grow up and use cocaine like an adult.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
^^^ that’s a great idea!! Haha

You Da Man

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post