DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Buying a car from Canada
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a car from Canada
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Has anyone bought a race car from Canada? What kind of problems with Customs , any fees or taxes?

Posts: 193 | Location: ohio | Registered: July 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I did. Fees were about 7.5% of purchase price in my case.

Was advised, and it applied in my case as I bought a purpose-built race car, that it is easier if it isn't a "car" with a vin plate, planning on being registered, etc. You are purchasing a piece of equipment that just happens to have the name "car" in it (think of it more like a piece of construction equipment, or a tractor, or the like).

If the car you are looking at has a vin plate, i think there are many more hoops to jump through. Thankfully my broker and shipper worked out all the details on mine. I only had to cut the check.

Posts: 176 | Location: Byron, GA | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Those guys come over here to race all the time. Buy it while its here and problem is solved.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 193 | Location: ohio | Registered: July 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have many friends who live in Canada. I would second the have them bring it across deal. Way easier if it is a racecar with no vin. Even if it has a vin it is easier to have them import it but can be done either wat. We actually have one friend who brings trucks down here for us to sell. He does all the import work and we swap the dash/speedos to MPH and sell them for him. Seems two wheel drive trucks don't fetch much up there

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post