DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    America's First 1/2 Mile Drag Strip - SGMP
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America's First 1/2 Mile Drag Strip - SGMP
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
** Taken from the WannaGOFAST Facebook Page

After 9 years, 36 events and countless prayers to the Good Lord above our lifelong DREAM has become a reality.

We’re proud to announce America’s First-Ever 1/2 Mile Racing Facility!

Thanks to an incredible partnership with South Georgia Motor Sports Park we have been able to give our racers a permanent place to live out their GOFAST Dreams!

The track is being extended to 5600ft and has all the infrastructure in place to ensure the best possible conditions a racer could ask for!

Dates are set for:

February 29-March 1
October 24-25

Many more details to come. For now just know that 2020 is going to be the best year ever for 1/2 Mile Racing

wanna go fast sgmp

Posts: 2106 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Interesting but with everybody Killing 1/4 mile have fun trying to find people to run 1/2 mile.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Actually, it won't be the first 1/2 mile drag strip in America, Riverside Raceway in California was the first. They ran a few 1/2 mile events back in the 70's, it didn't last very long mostly because it required a substantial gear change (and/or a lot of oil dry).

If memory serves me correctly I believe Bill Richter was either the Owner or the Track Manager at the time.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The interesting question will be who makes the rules that go beyond 1/4? NHRA rules only cover to 1/4 mile and obviously slower cars at that distance will exceed some mph rules going another 1/4 mile.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
NHRA rules only cover to 1/4 mile and obviously slower cars at that distance will exceed some mph rules going another 1/4 mile.

Run what ya brung! Save Glendora's wisdom.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well that will come in handy...lmao

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
different gear,different tune up and if running blower you are going to need bigger tank to hold extra fuel.Not to mention some new brakes quite often.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The first 60 ft is still the hard part, if it's a drag race. Relatively speaking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
By the time somebody changes their gears to run 1/2 mile I am sure the first 60’ will get easier for them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green1,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the 1/2 mile stuff is catering to the super/sports car crowd.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Batteries for a low center of gravity. A glimpse of the future, 1/2 mile drag racing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If it gets some off the street and on the track, I am for it. Once they are on the track, they will discover the rest of the wisdom for themselves. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
I didn't read anything about how the timing system is going to work or if there even will be any timers past the 1/4 mile. That would require a major software change to the top 2 timing systems on the market let alone additional wiring and timers ect. Be interesting to see what this 1/2 mile racing is truly for.

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Who even owns SGMP anymore? The circle track looks derelict and abandoned, it wasn't too long ago I heard that the owner or promoter was in trouble for tax evasion, etc. Now they have money to lengthen the track for two events a year?

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Who even owns SGMP anymore? The circle track looks derelict and abandoned, it wasn't too long ago I heard that the owner or promoter was in trouble for tax evasion, etc. Now they have money to lengthen the track for two events a year?

That was the previous owner.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I watched some of this race last year. It was at a airstrip somewhere, maybe Georgia. It does seem like a big investment for 2 races a year. all kinds of cars,race cars to super cars. corvettes, gtr's, Buick gn's etc.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Wannagofast has been doing these events for some time. They've aimed there sights more towards high end street cars and purpose built "street legal" race cars. think late model domestic V8s, GTR's, lambo's, ferrari's, Ford GTs, NSX's, and everything else that's similar.

I doubt they're looking to pull the weekend bracket racer that needs a gear change to run out past the 1/8mi.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
Wannagofast has been doing these events for some time. They've aimed there sights more towards high end street cars and purpose built "street legal" race cars. think late model domestic V8s, GTR's, lambo's, ferrari's, Ford GTs, NSX's, and everything else that's similar.

I doubt they're looking to pull the weekend bracket racer that needs a gear change to run out past the 1/8mi.

-Dalton

What he said...…..

Might even try it in my Challenger SRT8 Blue Man

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I watched some of this race last year. It was at a airstrip somewhere, maybe Georgia. It does seem like a big investment for 2 races a year. all kinds of cars,race cars to super cars. corvettes, gtr's, Buick gn's etc.

I've seen that as well, it's a little different than what these folks are doing. The races on airstrips are MPH contests. SGMP on the other hand is gonna be capable of putting on 1/2 mile drag races, two cars side by side first to the finish line. There are lots of people out there this will suit. I know a few with high end cars with big power who get together 10 - 12 cars and have a race from Tampa to Ft. Myers. These people will literally go 170 mph plus down Interstate 275. Typically they chose routes where highway miles are limited. Crazy, I rode along once (female driver), I'd never do it again these people are carazy bigtime, a lap down a 1/8 mile is a low/no adrenaline ride comparatively speaking. I'd imagine that's why they named it wannagofast, to give these types of cars / people an outlet, off the streets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:

They have held these events here in Ocala for the last 3-4 years at a fly-in community that has a very long runway.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2