New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expensive Vacation
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Every year my wife and I take a 8 or 9 day vacation in Kauai. This has been, until now, something that was expensive but reasonable. This year 9 days in Kauai will cost us more than $7,000. That includes air fare, (because swimming at my age is out of the question), condo, car rental, food, boarding the dog while we are gone, etc. etc. This will be our last trip to Kauai because it's become way too expensive.

Which brings me to the question: Where do you folks spend your vacations? Please don't say "behind the plow"!

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat Kauai. Why not try 4 or 5 days instead, then maybe a few days in southern Az.?

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I spend all my extra money and time bracket racing. That’s my Vacation, Hobby and what I like doing most.

And Yes, I’ve been to Kauai.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, in 2019 I took my family(4) to Maui and Kauai for 12 days specifically as a graduation present for my son. To say we had a great time would be an understatement. Cost was $30k and I want to go back

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Unless something changes between now and then, My expensive vacation this year will be racing top dragster at the Arizona nationals and then Pomona for the Winternats. Pomona is a bucket list race for me, I grew up 10 miles from there and haven't raced there since S/G in 1994. I figure its do it now or never.
Bob stop by and say hi if you go

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
It depends what you want out of your vacation. For my wife and I, if we want to escape the cold and relax, we head out of the country to the Caribbean.

I just made my first visit to Mexico (Cancun) a couple weeks ago, and that was nice too. But we are there to sit in the sun at a resort and read books all day, then have a nice dinner.

On a domestic vacation, all of the independent transportation and meals really add up.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Now I see why you haven't contacted my son, Bob.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
It depends on your idea of a vacation.... resorts to me are like prison camps.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

I'm going to stop and see him when I get there, I know where the house is located just need his phone number (sorry.....again).

Steve:

I'll see you at Pomona. Rob will have the TS car there and probably Mike with the TD, if he doesn't rent it out.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I haven’t paid for a vacation in years as I have a near endless supply of frequent flyer miles and hotel points from work travel. With that said, $7k for 8-9 days in Kauai seems pretty reasonable to me.

We do a “big” vacation ever few years. Costa Rica was real nice. St. Kitts was great, as was Oahu. We are thinking of a short trip to Ireland later this year as my wife wants to see the Luke Combs concert. I also want to take the kids to Hong Kong sometime before my son graduates next May but I may get vetoed.

We bought a house in a beach front community back in 2018 just south of Myrtle Beach. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive so we “vacation” there many times throughout the year.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My wife was raised on Oahu, lived there until she was 15, then moved to Chula Vista, Ca. I, on the other hand was raised on a farm in Eastern Pennsylvania (the beach view was terrible) but the view of the drag strip (Maple Grove) was GREAT. Funny thing, I moved to California to drag race because they had so many tracks, odd how that didn't work out.

Mikey:

We spent a few days at a Air B&B in Myrtle Beach, REALLY nice place to visit, very inexpensive.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of victo
posted Hide Post
my wifes dad has a place in maui.Will harrison and his wife have a nice condo many racers have stayed at.Our family place is 10 miles from the dragstrip

2012 West Coast Pro Gas E/Gas Champion

Posts: 523 | Location: Novato | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bob, in 2019 I took my family(4) to Maui and Kauai for 12 days specifically as a graduation present for my son. To say we had a great time would be an understatement. Cost was $30k and I want to go back

This is a vacation of some people's annual income...hence "no split".

Wink

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
PM sent, Bob.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you make $30k annually in the year 2023 you are trying hard to be a broke dyck because government assistance pays more!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Move away from $h!thole California and every day of your life becomes a vacation.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Have become a huge fan of the European River Cruise experience....like 8 times a fan Big Grin

Didn't know what to expect and loved it from the get go. If you keep an eye out you can find some really good deals, and we have found it to be a great relaxing and easy way to travel. Do as much or as little as you want.

Also we have used Costco's travel department a couple of times and been very very happy - our trip to Italy thru them was terrific and came with a lot of included perks.

Again - not the cheapest things in the world - but looking at what Hawaii and other places cost vs the experiences we have had....it has been money well spend for 10-14 day trips.

I am not a "resort" person either - been to St. Lucia - beautiful, had a great time, but if I want drinks and violence "outside the resort"....I'll go to downtown Cincy Big Grin

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
On a serious note, get in the car and go visit America's national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Glacier, Redwood, Big Bend, Mesa Verde, etc. It astonishes me how many Americans travel abroad extensively and yet have never seen all the super cool things we have right here.

For sitting around a nice pool with drinks, or eating great food, I can do all that within 15 minutes of my house.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Very true Sly Fox....and very afforbable with the right amount of planning.

In 2021...our planned Alaska trip was cancelled so the wife and I took a trip in/out of Vegas and did the "grand circle". Nevada, Utah, Arizona and back into Vegas. 2 week deal and went thru Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyon Lands, Arches, Natural Bridges, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods, Sunset Crater (? I think), Vermillion Cliffs (4 HR UTV Sunset trip was da bomb), Glen Canyon, Lake Powell, Kingman AZ / Rt. 66, Lake Mead / Hoover Dam.

I think we put 2500 miles on the rental Highlander we had...including some "off the beaten path" jaunts. Big Grin

Truly amazing the amount of land that is out there and the scenery. Loved everything we saw and hiked but it isn't until you really sit and look back at it that you realize everything.

Had the chance last winter since we still had the parks pass to go out to White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadelupe National, Fort Davis, and Big Bend....same experience but totally different scenery.

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Good point on the parks.

My son will be playing baseball in a big event in South Dakota this summer. While he has to travel with the team, my wife and I are starting to plan some “side trips” with my daughter before, during, and after the week. Main thing for me - drive through Yellowstone. It’s about 7-8 hours from where he will be playing so it won’t be a true Yellowstone experience, but we will get to see some of it.

He is playing in South Florida a few days after South Dakota, so we will be burning the road up and our time will be limited.

I can’t tell you how much fun we’ve had as a family chasing baseball all over the country the last few years. Hoping to do it even more when he starts college next fall (assuming he finds a spot).

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post