New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocky Pintavalle
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Rocky Pintavalle won both the $15K Fall Fling event this Wednesday AND the $50K Fall Fling event on Friday. He did this in a Duster (door car) with a three speed auto trans. Just saying. Maybe dragsters with Powerglides can be beaten? Wink Take care. Tom Worthington

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom396,

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea I love the dragster advantage joke. That's why almost every big money race has door car or two in semi finals and thats when they start out with huge disadvantage mathematically.Heck normally 10 to 1 dragster to door cars. I knwo most run separate to point,but even then door cars are way out numbered and still end up about even by semi's.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Yea I love the dragster advantage joke. That's why almost every big money race has door car or two in semi finals .

Maybe they should quit separating the door cars from the dragsters until the money rounds then.....

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Yea I love the dragster advantage joke. That's why almost every big money race has door car or two in semi finals .

Maybe they should quit separating the door cars from the dragsters until the money rounds then.....

Sounds like it. If they are that competitive, it should end up all door cars by the quarters.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well ,you can look at it a different way too,do you think if all door cars and dragsters raced together there would still be door cars left in the semi,s,dont care either way myself ,i think with the car and dragster turn-outs dont change a thing.

Posts: 1012 | Location: LIVERMORE CA. | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Don't matter either way to me.IMO put a good driver in either and he has same chance of winning. Maybe reason for separating is so dragsters don't look bad.

Heck I'm dragster guy and the odd ball there with motor out front where I can watch it.LOL

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
With weekend Rocky is having he could probably crawl into dragster this morning and be in finals.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Obviously, I have zero experience with these type of big buck bracket races. However, at least from the outside, it appears that separating the door cars from the dragsters has helped increase door car participation. Again, from the outside looking in, I wonder how many door cars would have entered without this format? And just based on the current 2 (or more) to 1 ratio of dragsters to door car entries, what is the likelihood of any door cars hanging in there to even the semifinals, if they hadn't been separated?

Regardless, I am just in awe of the accomplishment of winning both of these nights in a door car that uses a three speed transmission. I do not know if Rocky runs alcohol or gasoline, but if it's gasoline, that would be yet another deviation from the usual script. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Boy the butthurt is strong .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Boy the butthurt is strong .

Not at all. It was just mentioned that there are often door cars still in late in the rounds. And someone else in many cases they run seperate from the dragsters. It's no mistake why many highly competitive racers choose the rear engine dragster as their tool of choice. It's a competitive advantage recognized by pretty much everyone. AND it's impressive when door cars get it done against dragsters to some extent for that reason. But let's not overlook in some cases how that scenario came to be.
I don't even completely disagree with the practice when it shows to increase car count..But even that shows that door car drivers realize that their chances against dragsters if not separated are reduced. Really nothing to do with anyone's butt hurting.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
With true start now being used I feel like a big advantage was taken from dragsters. I honestly don't mind running dragsters at all in 1/8 mile. My friends that have dragsters tell me they prefer running other dragsters.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
I find it funny that so many people act surprised that you could win with the 3 speed.

Rocky did a great job this weekend. He's a multi-time Footbrake champ at Richmond. I understand he's only been box racing a couple of years.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
footbraker turned box,does he use foot or thumb for TB release?

As for dragster vs doorcar comment nothing to do with butt hurt. More statement that I do not see where dragster have any real advantage as far as being able to win rounds. A good number of big money races I have watched where won by door cars and some had 3 out of 4 in semi finals. Thats all I was pointing out.

A good driver in a consistent car can and will win races,rather it has doors or not. Thats all folks.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
First off, I am so happy and proud of my great friend Rocky for winning the two races at the Fall Fling. This was only his second big money event since making the switch to Top ET. Of course, he still footbrakes too. He made it to 4 cars at the WFC just a couple months ago.
He runs a 500+ cubic inch Mopar,727 trans, Dana rear. Mopar or no car in his program. Hoosier tires and a gas carb.

Not sure why this topic had to get hi jacked into a discussion about dragsters vs doorcars but I know at 8 cars on Wednesday he was the only doorcar and Friday there were 3 doorcars and 6 dragsters at 9 with Rocky being the only one left at 5 and sitting on the bye with a 000 light.

His car has been just as consistent as any dragster for 15 years. He has won many track championships at multiple tracks, won the bracket finals, won the raider series points, and now won 2 events at The Fling in his first year running it.

He does all his own work on his car and many others, and is a perfectionist with anything he works on.
Congratulations Rocky!! I’m so glad I was there to witness it and be a small part of your awesome week!!

2016 Spring Fling Million Winner
2016 CARS Million Winner
4-Time Richmond Dragway Top ET Track Champion
3-Time VMP Track Champion

Posts: 851 | Location: Richmond,Va. | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
They don't run it here, but the Top Comp series, don't they run door car and dragsters together from first round?

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I know I will catch flak on this, but his doing his own work makes it more of accomplishment IMO.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't know Rocky, but congrats to him. Regarding the advantage dragsters have over door cars. There's 2

1. If something is "off" with a dragster it's really bad. If something is "off" with a door car it might be a couple hundredths every now and then. What I'm saying is it's harder to tell that a bad combination is a bad combination with a door car.

2. The wind affects most door cars A BUNCH more than it affects most dragsters.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Verdigo:
First off, I am so happy and proud of my great friend Rocky for winning the two races at the Fall Fling. This was only his second big money event since making the switch to Top ET. Of course, he still footbrakes too. He made it to 4 cars at the WFC just a couple months ago.
He runs a 500+ cubic inch Mopar,727 trans, Dana rear. Mopar or no car in his program. Hoosier tires and a gas carb.

Not sure why this topic had to get hi jacked into a discussion about dragsters vs doorcars but I know at 8 cars on Wednesday he was the only doorcar and Friday there were 3 doorcars and 6 dragsters at 9 with Rocky being the only one left at 5 and sitting on the bye with a 000 light.

His car has been just as consistent as any dragster for 15 years. He has won many track championships at multiple tracks, won the bracket finals, won the raider series points, and now won 2 events at The Fling in his first year running it.

He does all his own work on his car and many others, and is a perfectionist with anything he works on.
Congratulations Rocky!! I’m so glad I was there to witness it and be a small part of your awesome week!!

He is running on gasoline rather than alcohol too? Daggone. Not the average bear (or bear hunter), for sure. Not worthy Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I will catch flak on this, but his doing his own work makes it more of accomplishment IMO.

Not from me. That's always cool.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It doesn't surprise me at all that Rocky is doing so well with a three speed. I ran a three speed torqueflite behind a 440 inch mopar in a door car for years.They were both super tough. I would never rebuild the torqueflite and only freshen up the engine about every three seasons.But of course when the reaction timers came out and then the delay box it got a lot tougher to win. I then had to go to a dragster with a BBC and a powerglide.But I still don't win like I used to.At one time I actually made money racing but now I am lucky to break even.

Posts: 36 | Location: corona, ca | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post