DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Does NHRA like being embarrassed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does NHRA like being embarrassed?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Or do they even care that a bracket racing event is making them look like chumps for the purses they pay out... even to the Pros?

Greg Stanley
Off the grid and off my rocker!

Posts: 6229 | Location: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: April 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
LOL, I bet they have blinders on !!! As long as racers are still paying membership fee's and coming to race's they are not thinking about those huge payouts in the Big Buck World. NHRA has a lot of mouths to feed.....Haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stanman:
Or do they even care that a bracket racing event is making them look like chumps for the purses they pay out... even to the Pros?

Hi Greg!
Not worthy
Had that conversation at the divisional race. HMMMM

You in town?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hey, if you win you may get a pic in National Dragster! Do they still print that?

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Any racers out there good with math do me a favor......Add up the total number of cars and the entry fees paid at both the big bucks races as well as the NHRA divisional events. That should give us a payout per entry dollar ratio. Then lets compare numbers?

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You bring up an interesting thought:

NHRA could pay out a real purse if the pros had to pay an entry fee...
Top Fuel: $25,000
Funny Car: $25,000
Pro no one cares: 10,000

Winner take 80% of purse.

Posts: 842 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike MacBrair:
Any racers out there good with math do me a favor......Add up the total number of cars and the entry fees paid at both the big bucks races as well as the NHRA divisional events. That should give us a payout per entry dollar ratio. Then lets compare numbers?

EXACTLY

Fans of the so-called "big money" bracket races are basically people who can't do simple math. It's the racers themselves putting up all the "big money." Multiple entries allowed at $500 a pop, two rounds of buybacks at $500 each, etc, etc. What a great deal. LMAO

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:

EXACTLY

Fans of the so-called "big money" bracket races are basically people who can't do simple math. It's the racers themselves putting up all the "big money." Multiple entries allowed at $500 a pop, two rounds of buybacks at $500 each, etc, etc. What a great deal. LMAO

If you're going to pocket 15-30% of the gate, wouldn't you rather put on a $400K than a $5K?

Don't get me wrong; there is a ton of work, risk, and reputation building involved for those that can make it to that point.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:

EXACTLY

So you would rather spend $2000 entries plus other expenses to run NHRA for a chance to win what $1200-$1500 + little contingency than spend the same amount at a big money race for a chance to win $10K or more?? I'm no math major, but I know where my money will be spent at. NHRA is all about that Wally and championship dreams and there's nothing wrong with that. To those that chase that that moment is priceless.. Just my take on the whole NHRA vs Big money bracket racing.

Posts: 34 | Location: Louisville,KY,US | Registered: October 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
BIG MONEY fan here...

Ran NHRA divisional in Vegas week before fling ...let's see:

License renewal $240, chassis cert on new car $140.00, entry fee $170.00. Spent 4 days to run 1 race with the opportunity to win peanuts for $550.00

Was it $675.00 to race for $30,000.00 three times? I will stick to big money racing...far better deal.

JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
BIG MONEY fan here...

Ran NHRA divisional in Vegas week before fling ...let's see:

License renewal $240, chassis cert on new car $140.00, entry fee $170.00. Spent 4 days to run 1 race with the opportunity to win peanuts for $550.00

Was it $675.00 to race for $30,000.00 three times? I will stick to big money racing...far better deal.

JMO

Racing at an NHRA track, you should have a licence and current chassis cert. How do they factor into the entry fee vs the Fling?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCADREAU:
So you would rather spend $2000 entries plus other expenses to run NHRA for a chance to win what $1200-$1500 + little contingency than spend the same amount at a big money race for a chance to win $10K or more??

It's $320 to enter both cars in a divisional. Double that at a national, but you aren't spending $2K to enter at a NHRA race. No buybacks either, although I usually pay my $20 per car on the 2nd time run to enter the super-class shootouts.

The economics of NHRA racing don't make any sense, but the divisionals are my favorite events. I bracket race just about every weekend that I'm not doing it, but after a hectic week I enjoy getting away for 3-4 days and making a few laps. Racing is usually finished for the day well before dark and I can fire up the grill with a beer.

Trust me, ten years ago I would have been laughing at this mentality!

High-level bracket racing, for most, is a fairly low percentage deal. $10K+ to win is great, but how often are you holding that check? How many $1-2K weekends can you absorb before you hit one?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by JCADREAU:
So you would rather spend $2000 entries plus other expenses to run NHRA for a chance to win what $1200-$1500 + little contingency than spend the same amount at a big money race for a chance to win $10K or more??

It's $320 to enter both cars in a divisional. Double that at a national, but you aren't spending $2K to enter at a NHRA race. No buybacks either, although I usually pay my $20 per car on the 2nd time run to enter the super-class shootouts.

The economics of NHRA racing don't make any sense, but the divisionals are my favorite events. I bracket race just about every weekend that I'm not doing it, but after a hectic week I enjoy getting away for 3-4 days and making a few laps. Racing is usually finished for the day well before dark and I can fire up the grill with a beer.

Trust me, ten years ago I would have been laughing at this mentality!

High-level bracket racing, for most, is a fairly low percentage deal. $10K+ to win is great, but how often are you holding that check? How many $1-2K weekends can you absorb before you hit one?
yeah Tony worded or over exaggerated a little on the NHRA entry fee.. I’m aware of the cost vs reward of NHRA racing as I have lots of good friends that live in my area that travel the National and divisional races. Best of luck at the races.

Posts: 34 | Location: Louisville,KY,US | Registered: October 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
One thing I have noticed since switching to TD and racing NHRA again after many years. There no shortage of cars at the divisional races, I have seen 400-700 cars at these events, thats cars not entries as in double entries. NHRA has a class for pretty much any type of car so there is a place for everyone. I am having a great time running TD, love the challenges of qualifing and running a 230mph car.

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there is a place for everyone to race.

Enjoy it while you can.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Charlie Allen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
Sounds like there is a place for everyone to race.

Enjoy it while you can.

Bingo !! I.P. nailed it !! Pick your poison and race what you like, and pray we can still do it tomorrow.............

"Mourning the loss of Auto Club Dragway in Fontana"............RIP

Posts: 532 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: March 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A point I did not make in my original post and was waiting to see if it would be mentioned was the racer appreciation factor. That and the massive amount of prizes for things like Best Losing Package each round... or just the amount of round money.

Listen, I haven't raced in a long time. And I don't begrudge anyone's decision to participate at NHRA events. But I remember how I was treated by NHRA staff for no reason other than the fact that I was a lowly Super Gas or Super Comp racer. I think it's incredible what Kyle and Peter have been able to put together.

NHRA is the premier drag racing series in the world, yet they can't garner enough media attention and sponsor funding to move beyond a 3rd tier program in the world of motorsports.

Greg Stanley

Posts: 6229 | Location: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: April 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Also, the thread doesn't really pertain to racers but more curiosity about how the general public responds to things. How would someone that doesn't really know much about drag racing respond if you showed them side by side what a win in Top Fuel gets versus the Spring Fling? I don't think you'd want to show their response to marketing people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stanman,

Greg Stanley

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stanman:
How would someone that doesn't really know much about drag racing respond if you showed them side by side what a win in Top Fuel gets versus the Spring Fling.

I think that is just it right there. The nitro fans and the bracket racers are somewhat exclusive groups. Your average person watching NHRA on TV has no idea that big dollar bracket racing even exists, so there isn't much for NHRA to be embarrassed about.

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
General public doesn’t know a thing about the fling and could careless. This isn’t a slam on any racer but it’s just a fact.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post