DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Wireless winch remote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wireless winch remote
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
I have a Tommy Johnson (Advanced Wireless Tech) wireless winch control attached to my Superwinch. The battery in the key fob has went dead. When I replace it will it lose it's programming and if so does anyone have the details on how to reprogram it?

Thanks
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine it would require any programming. That would be a really bad design. Myself and several others have the cheap wireless winch release from amazon/eBay and you can replace the battery in those without having to do anything else.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I thought the fobs for those were just preset at a specific freq for that control. Never heard of a remote winch control that needed programmed..Key fob for a car, yes, but not a winch...

I could be wrong though...I would imagine if it's required the process should be on Advanced Wireless Tech's website..

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I thought the fobs for those were just preset at a specific freq for that control. Never heard of a remote winch control that needed programmed..Key fob for a car, yes, but not a winch...

I could be wrong though...I would imagine if it's required the process should be on Advanced Wireless Tech's website..

Yeah they should be programmed with the frequency. Same with your car key fob - I just changed the battery in mine and didn’t have to do anything. A new key fob would need to be programmed to the car though.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK. Mine were preset. I was just concerned that programming would be lost when battery was removed.
I just returned from replacing the battery and all is well.
Plus I found the instructions on reprograming the remote.
I had bought extra fobs from TJ several years ago and he sent instructions on programming them. But I could not find them, fortunately I found them and did not need it..
So if anyone needs them let me know.

Thanks guy's.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, the winch release we use looks like this one on Amazon. There are many listings between $13 and $20 on Amazon and eBay with different remote styles. They work very well.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dave I used a harbour freight remote with my superwinch. I was at the track and cut an alumnium strap from a beer can and connected across2 pins.(jumper wire) On plug in on winch . Worked great. If you go that route I can look at mine. It's in my burnt trailer but think the winch plug survived. Good Luck my Friend.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
For anyone interested, the winch release we use looks like this one on Amazon. There are many listings between $13 and $20 on Amazon and eBay with different remote styles. They work very well.

Well after spending 199.00 for mine almost 20 years ago, that kinda hurt me in the pocket book..lol

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Dave I used a harbour freight remote with my superwinch. I was at the track and cut an alumnium strap from a beer can and connected across2 pins.(jumper wire) On plug in on winch . Worked great. If you go that route I can look at mine. It's in my burnt trailer but think the winch plug survived. Good Luck my Friend.

Thanks Jeff. All my worries were for nothing. Replaced the battery and it worked as it should..

Thanks
Dave