DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Get Race Car Insurance
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Race Car Insurance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
,let me know if you ever get a claim if any of your stuff is damaged in a "public" is processed

So is the race track pit area considered a "Public" place (especially during overnight hours)?
Also how about hotel parking lots? That seems to be where a lot of theft is lately.
Thanks for all the info your are providing.

Posts: 123 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My policy makes no such exemption for parking my rig/cars in "public" places...track, hotel, mall, restaurant, rest stop, etc.

I'm also not worried about a claim being denied as a friend of mine who posts here got a check for just shy of 6 figures.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
My policy makes no such exemption for parking my rig/cars in "public" places...track, hotel, mall, restaurant, rest stop, etc.

I'm also not worried about a claim being denied as a friend of mine who posts here got a check for just shy of 6 figures.

The company I sell for also covers when the for parking my rig/cars in "public" places...track, hotel, mall, restaurant, rest stop, etc. this is and has always been the plan design of course ,but for a long term storage in a public place it is not covered like I have said many time s

Don Kennedy

Posts: 395 | Location: TN | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don, what is the definition of "public" places and "long term"?

For the record, I spoke to Bill Horton yesterday and he confirmed my statements made in this thread are correct, I am covered at ALL times, ALL places except when my cars are racing on the track.

I am also forwarding my policy to my attorney this morning for review and confirmation.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the record, I spoke to Bill Horton yesterday and he confirmed my statements made in this thread are correct, I am covered at ALL times, ALL places except when my cars are racing on the track.

I am also forwarding my policy to my attorney this morning for review and confirmation.
The insurance company i sell for covered at ALL times, ALL places except when my cars are racing on the track. also no difference
.Did you ask Bill if your race car is covered for a long term time in a public place > also ask your Lawyer about that i guess you would like a definition of Public places and long term Your lawyer can give that to you. I feel most racers can answer the question of a Public place and long term themselves ? do you want your race car stolen?? > i have to ask you why would you store your race car in a Public place anyway ??? especially long term??

Don Kennedy

Posts: 395 | Location: TN | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, whether privately or publicly owned, to which the public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not, but not a place when used exclusively by one or more individuals for a private gathering or other personal.

.. Park Long-Term. DEFINITION Long term parking is defined as leaving a vehicle parked in the same public place continuously for a period of seven (7) days or more. for long term parking in increments of 30 day

Don Kennedy

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Kennedy:
quote:

A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, whether privately or publicly owned, to which the public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not, but not a place when used exclusively by one or more individuals for a private gathering or other personal.

.. Park Long-Term. DEFINITION Long term parking is defined as leaving a vehicle parked in the same public place continuously for a period of seven (7) days or more. for long term parking in increments of 30 day

I told Bill that my trailer is normally left at the track, as do many, many racers do. Many tracks sell you pit spots for the year. Leave your trailer there, get to the track with your everyday driver, unload the race car out of the trailer and race.

Now, are we all leaving our stuff in public places? It is long-term, 7+ days at times between races. While they are in locked areas, it is not locked 100% of the time. There are many times the tracks open the gates for other events, though the trailers are left in-place.

I know many people that rent spots off-site at private businesses that have locked fenced-in areas that all the "renters" have a key and 24/7 access to. Are these considered public areas also?

There are plenty of people that own trailers but can not park them at their homes for various reasons. As one of the posters mentioned above, HOA's don't allow the riff-raff to keep trailers, boats, etc.... in their own driveways. CA is notorious for this.... So they are forced to find other places to keep these types of items. Many of them pay rent to keep them in secured lots, most of which have no alarm system, no cameras, just a locked gate. Those people out of luck for buying insurance?

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, you're good, no worries.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
quote:

I told Bill that my trailer is normally left at the track, as do many, many racers do. Many tracks sell you pit spots for the year. Leave your trailer there, get to the track with your everyday driver, unload the race car out of the trailer and race.

Now, are we all leaving our stuff in public places? It is long-term, 7+ days at times between races. While they are in locked areas, it is not locked 100% of the time. There are many times the tracks open the gates for other events, though the trailers are left in-place.

I know many people that rent spots off-site at private businesses that have locked fenced-in areas that all the "renters" have a key and 24/7 access to. Are these considered public areas also?

There are plenty of people that own trailers but can not park them at their homes for various reasons. As one of the posters mentioned above, HOA's don't allow the riff-raff to keep trailers, boats, etc.... in their own driveways. CA is notorious for this.... So they are forced to find other places to keep these types of items. Many of them pay rent to keep them in secured lots, most of which have no alarm system, no cameras, just a locked gate. Those people out of luck for buying insurance?

You know common sense is best about the storage issues and we can discuss what we would like to be covered and a insurance company can say the coverage but when a claim is made then a person will find out if it is covered or not , just use common sense is best. I have said how to make sure if there is a claim that your race car is covered and if some want to store their race car in a public accessible area is up to them to decide. There will be no definite way to really say until a claim is made . use common sense

Don Kennedy

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know common sense is best about the storage issues and we can discuss what we would like to be covered and a insurance company can say the coverage but when a claim is made then a person will find out if it is covered or not , just use common sense is best. I have said how to make sure if there is a claim that your race car is covered and if some want to store their race car in a public accessible area is up to them to decide. There will be no definite way to really say until a claim is made . use common sense

"Common sense" tells me if there is "no definite way to really say" if insurance coverage is in force UNTIL A CLAIM IS MADE then, that policy may not be the one you want...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don, with all due respect, you are wrong at least as it relates to the policies that Bill Horton writes. Storing our race cars and trailers in "public" places and "long term" is the norm today for many as Mike has illustrated. Whether it's at the track for the entire season, a storage facility, a chassis shop or a paint shop for months, the fact is we are covered anytime, anywhere except while on the race track competing, in the lower 48 and Canada per Bill and per my attorney

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
anywhere except while on the race track competing, in the lower 48 and Canada per Bill and per my attorney

Well there you go. Mr I know everything has spoken

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:

And every crack head in New Jersey thanks you for the information...geez what a dope

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, I'll keep it simple. I'm the friend Ed speaks of......(no jokes, we really are friends)

October 2010, our 32' Motorsports trailer carrying 2 race cars, scooter, golf cart, tools and spares separated from our motorhome on I-76 just north of center city Philadelphia. The trailer basically ghost riding at 50mph ran headlong into a speed arrestor at the point of the Belmont avenue interchange. 50mph to an immediate stop. Our trailer is what Ed based his off of so you can picture how we carry everything....dragster backed in, lifted from the front and the door car driven in underneath. When the trailer came to its abrupt stop the rear straps on the door car broke and it slid forward and destroyed the dragster that was right above it and anything else in its path.

That was the bad news for the day, which in the grand scheme of things wasn't that bad. The good news was that the trailer didn't go down that exit ramp and into the intersection at the bottom of it. 8' to the right and we would be having a much different discussion today and our lives would've been changed forever regardless of insurance. Lives would've been lost without question.

The root cause of the accident was a combination of coupler failure & poor saftey chain design as determined by PA State Police accident investigators.

Damage all totaled was $120,000 and was covered by either of our 2 insurance companies.

Great American was the underwriter for the key off/paddock insurance that covered the Trailer/Racecar and was obtained through Bill Horton at Drag Racers Insurance.

Progressive was the insurer/underwriter for our motorhome.

Great Americans take was $102,000 of which we paid $5,000 in deductible and got a check for $97,000 which was split across the damage on the trailer and 2 race cars. (Cars/Trailer/Contents were insured for a combined amount of $120,000. Key off/paddock insurance. $50k dragster, $40k Firebird & $30k Trailer/Contents)

Progressive took the other $18,000 of which we paid $1,000 in deductible on. This was to cover the $5,000 removal/towing bill and the $13,000 speed arrestor that we destroyed.

I'm not being paid to say this but Bill Horton went above an beyond to make sure that we were taken care of but in the end its the underwriting company that will actually pay the claim. In our case the process worked to the letter of the policy that was written.

Bottom line, the insurance works if you have good documentation and you have a REAL CLAIM. Generally, if you got screwed by an insurance company you were getting a cut rate policy from a schlock underwriter or you didn't have a good claim and usually the price of the coverage dictates the underwriters ability and willingness to pay a claim. Ask your agent who the underwriter is and go see what type of rating they have. www.ambest.com Fortunately, we had lots of pictures, receipts, documentation and most importantly.....a REAL CLAIM. The process took a while but in the end we were covered and both insurance companies were more than fair with us.

What we learned in the process is that all of our stuff was severely under insured. The insurance companies valued everything at "list" price which is considerably more than we all pay. At the time if my trailer burned to the ground I would have only been paid out $120,000 (this amount was my choice not knowing anything other then what I thought I needed) when in actuality the stuff was valued by the insurance company after depreciation at $190,000. Since then we have adjusted our policy and I urge everyone to have coverage like this no matter what, most of the damage to this stuff happens off the racetrack and at just over $100/$10k of coverage its silly not to have it.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

Shawn Fricke

Posts: 827 | Location: Flemington, New Jersey | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MightyBirdF145:
Hi guys, I'll keep it simple. I'm the friend Ed speaks of......(no jokes, we really are friends)

October 2010, our 32' Motorsports trailer carrying 2 race cars, scooter, golf cart, tools and spares separated from our motorhome on I-76 just north of center city Philadelphia. The trailer basically ghost riding at 50mph ran headlong into a speed arrestor at the point of the Belmont avenue interchange. 50mph to an immediate stop. Our trailer is what Ed based his off of so you can picture how we carry everything....dragster backed in, lifted from the front and the door car driven in underneath. When the trailer came to its abrupt stop the rear straps on the door car broke and it slid forward and destroyed the dragster that was right above it and anything else in its path.

That was the bad news for the day, which in the grand scheme of things wasn't that bad. The good news was that the trailer didn't go down that exit ramp and into the intersection at the bottom of it. 8' to the right and we would be having a much different discussion today and our lives would've been changed forever regardless of insurance. Lives would've been lost without question.

The root cause of the accident was a combination of coupler failure & poor saftey chain design as determined by PA State Police accident investigators.

Damage all totaled was $120,000 and was covered by either of our 2 insurance companies.

Great American was the underwriter for the key off/paddock insurance that covered the Trailer/Racecar and was obtained through Bill Horton at Drag Racers Insurance.

Great Americans take was $102,000 of which we paid $5,000 in deductible and got a check for $97,000 which was split across the damage on the trailer and 2 race cars. (Cars/Trailer/Contents were insured for a combined amount of $120,000. Key off/paddock insurance. $50k dragster, $40k Firebird & $30k Trailer/Contents)

Progressive took the other $18,000 of which we paid $1,000 in deductible on. This was to cover the $5,000 removal/towing bill and the $13,000 speed arrestor that we destroyed.

I'm not being paid to say this but Bill Horton went above an beyond to make sure that we were taken care of but in the end its the underwriting company that will actually pay the claim. In our case the process worked to the letter of the policy that was written.

Bottom line, the insurance works if you have good documentation and you have a REAL CLAIM. Generally, if you got screwed by an insurance company you were getting a cut rate policy from a schlock underwriter or you didn't have a good claim and usually the price of the coverage dictates the underwriters ability and willingness to pay a claim. Ask your agent who the underwriter is and go see what type of rating they have. www.ambest.com Fortunately, we had lots of pictures, receipts, documentation and most importantly.....a REAL CLAIM. The process took a while but in the end we were covered and both insurance companies were more than fair with us.

What we learned in the process is that all of our stuff was severely under insured. The insurance companies valued everything at "list" price which is considerably more than we all pay. At the time if my trailer burned to the ground I would have only been paid out $120,000 (this amount was my choice not knowing anything other then what I thought I needed) when in actuality the stuff was valued by the insurance company after depreciation at $190,000. Since then we have adjusted our policy and I urge everyone to have coverage like this no matter what, most of the damage to this stuff happens off the racetrack and at just over $100/$10k of coverage its silly not to have it.

Shawn Fricke

Don Kennedy

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MightyBirdF145:

Shawn Fricke
what happened will happen with all of the insurance companies coverage > i do not do trailers I have found out your home owners policy has better rates.
The discussion is not about what happened to your rig but storage in a Public place long term,

Don Kennedy

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shawn for your openness, honesty and admitting that we are friends. Your advice and friendship has been invaluable. You Da Man

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
quote:

"Common sense" tells me if there is "no definite way to really say" if insurance coverage is in force UNTIL A CLAIM IS MADE then, that policy may not be the one you want...

Dan

all of the race cars insurance coverage is basically the same .What I would like and every one would like is to have the insurance underwriters cover the way we want > But that most likely not happen the underwriters know the risk and adapt the plan to minimum risk for the client and their company > why you all want to argue with me is not going to change one single underwriters policies based on our wants I am just trying to make sure if there is a claim you get it processed If you want I can get a number of the many underwriters of all the companies who provide race car insurance and you can call them and argue or discuss how you would like the coverage .I am, just trying to help racers not have a bad experience if there is a claim let me know and I will give you the phone number and you call them

Don Kennedy

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
has anyone ever actually made a claim with a race car insurance agency that can give first hand experience on the claim process and how it worked? Customer service of the claim, efficiency, etc.

I believe this question was about an insurance companies ability to pay a claim.

Homeowners for a $60k trailer???? If you say so.

Shawn

Posts: 827 | Location: Flemington, New Jersey | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
quote:
anywhere except while on the race track competing, in the lower 48 and Canada per Bill and per my attorney

Well there you go. Mr I know everything has spoken

To any racer who stores his race car in a public place long term and thinks his car is covered pleases get your insurance from Bill is best

Don Kennedy