DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Get Race Car Insurance
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Race Car Insurance
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I would be very curious on the specifics of the coupler. Manufacturer and GVW rating. Sorry for all your loss..Reason being asking if it was a ball mount. I have some friends that have snapped the balls right off especially on the 10k balls.
Now they change them about every 3 years. I get the highest GVW rated ball possible for the mount.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:

I told Bill that my trailer is normally left at the track, as do many, many racers do. Many tracks sell you pit spots for the year. Leave your trailer there, get to the track with your everyday driver, unload the race car out of the trailer and race.

Now, are we all leaving our stuff in public places? It is long-term, 7+ days at times between races. While they are in locked areas, it is not locked 100% of the time. There are many times the tracks open the gates for other events, though the trailers are left in-place.

I know many people that rent spots off-site at private businesses that have locked fenced-in areas that all the "renters" have a key and 24/7 access to. Are these considered public areas also?

There are plenty of people that own trailers but can not park them at their homes for various reasons. As one of the posters mentioned above, HOA's don't allow the riff-raff to keep trailers, boats, etc.... in their own driveways. CA is notorious for this.... So they are forced to find other places to keep these types of items. Many of them pay rent to keep them in secured lots, most of which have no alarm system, no cameras, just a locked gate. Those people out of luck for buying insurance?

And every crack head in New Jersey thanks you for the information...geez what a dope

Dave, are the crack heads reading this thread? If so, I bet they could have looked at Atcos and Islands websites and found the same information. Bet other tracks throughout the country do the same thing.

So who is the dope...............

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I have some friends that have snapped the balls right off especially on the 10k balls.
Now they change them about every 3 years. I get the highest GVW rated ball possible for the mount.

Not to change subject...but the trailer ball is the only thing keeping you connected.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/40086

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hotrod Corvette,

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I told Bill that my trailer is normally left at the track, as do many, many racers do. Many tracks sell you pit spots for the year. Leave your trailer there, get to the track with your everyday driver, unload the race car out of the trailer and race.

Now, are we all leaving our stuff in public places? It is long-term, 7+ days at times between races. While they are in locked areas, it is not locked 100% of the time. There are many times the tracks open the gates for other events, though the trailers are left in-place.

I know many people that rent spots off-site at private businesses that have locked fenced-in areas that all the "renters" have a key and 24/7 access to. Are these considered public areas also?

There are plenty of people that own trailers but can not park them at their homes for various reasons. As one of the posters mentioned above, HOA's don't allow the riff-raff to keep trailers, boats, etc.... in their own driveways. CA is notorious for this.... So they are forced to find other places to keep these types of items. Many of them pay rent to keep them in secured lots, most of which have no alarm system, no cameras, just a locked gate. Those people out of luck for buying insurance?

And every crack head in New Jersey thanks you for the information...geez what a dope

Dave, are the crack heads reading this thread? If so, I bet they could have looked at Atcos and Islands websites and found the same information. Bet other tracks throughout the country do the same thing.

I seriously doubt ANY of the tracks you mentioned post on their website that all the trailers stored at their track have no security, no cameras, no alarm system and the gates are left unlocked often.
You know why you wouldn't see them say something like
that on the internet? Because they have common sense.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4443 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cartman:
quote:
,let me know if you ever get a claim if any of your stuff is damaged in a "public" is processed

So is the race track pit area considered a "Public" place (especially during overnight hours)?
Also how about hotel parking lots? That seems to be where a lot of theft is lately.
Thanks for all the info your are providing.

The coverage is called Storage,Transit and Paddock
The race car IS Covered when it is stored in a Private garage or (secure) storage garage,or residence >.
The race car is not covered if it is stored at a Public place long term ,such as a public storage lot or even on a public street (LONG TERM).
The race car is covered at a hotel, gas stop, restaurant going to a race.
The Race car is covered if You load your race car and park it on a public street if you are going to a race

Don Kennedy

Posts: 395 | Location: TN | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
40,000 lb toter tag hitch with a 2-5/16” 40,000 lb ball. The coupler that failed was a 14,000 GVT A frame weld on coupler. Can’t remember the maker of the coupler but when we researched them they were out of business. The rod that connected the lever to the wedge broke inside. When I connected the trailer I put the trailer on the ball, latched it and parked it. 2 days later when we left for Maple Grove we did a pre flight walk around and verified it was connected and latched correctly as always. As it turned out the wedge made its way just below the equator of the ball. Enough engagement that it took 30 miles for it to work its way off the ball.

No worries on the loss, the point of this thread is about insurance and thanks to the insurance we had, the loss was limited. We rebuilt and we’re back racing in less than 6 months.

Shawn

Posts: 827 | Location: Flemington, New Jersey | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike : you can buy the insurance what I am trying to emphasize the risk you take with your race car stored at a Public place long term. I don't want you as racer to have a major issue with the insurance company if you have a claim. I guarantee the insurance company will look at the claim if you are parking long term in a unsecured place . A racer has to be responsible to a degree for his race car using common sense. so be careful where you store Your race car and be aware there are major risks storing your race car in a Public place unsecured long term . I know I would be worried if I stored my Race car even at a Drag Strip long term unsecured wow talk about a way to get it stolen . The value you have insured it for is never enough to cover how much money we put into the race car so just be smart.
call me or Bill if you need the race car insured at 602-284-6240. i can go into great detail about the whole plan
Thanks
Don Kennedy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Kennedy,

Don Kennedy

Posts: 395 | Location: TN | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don, why the fear factor tactic? Your statements are not true of all policies.

Again there is no risk, no exemption with policies written by Bill Horton at Drag Racers Insurance, for racers like Mike and many others who cars and trailers are stored in "public" places and "long term."

As a matter of fact, the argument could easily be made, the insurance company actually prefers it. Less time on the road means less chance of a damage claim.

FYI, another friend, yes I have two, had his goldrush stacker trailer stolen out of goldrush's lot, a "public" place by your definition and "long term" by your definition and his claim was paid and guess who wrote his policy, none other than Bill Horton.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Don, why the fear factor tactic? Your statements are not true of all policies.

Again there is no risk, no exemption with policies written by Bill Horton at Drag Racers Insurance, for our races and trailers stored in "public" places and "long term."

FYI, another friend, yes I have two, had his goldrush stacker trailer stolen out of goldrush's lot, a "public" place by your definition and "long term" by your definition and his claim was paid and guess who wrote his policy, none other than Bill Horton.

I would suggest you get your insurance from Bill,not a problem for me .all I am doing is saying beware when a issue comes up with a public storage, long term with any insurance company including the company Bill sells for>I am not going to argue,when all I am doing is tying to keep the potential hassle with a insurance company> why you keep bringing this up will not change the underwriters problem with a race car being stored in a public place long term . why would a racer even do that anyway,I do not inure race car trailers. By the way you should know that every claim will be looked at to see the circumstances of the responsibility of the owner . Give me your phone number and I will gladly have a underwriter give you a call to help you keep your claim issues from becoming a major issue

Don Kennedy

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don, I and most here in the northeast that have insurance on their race operation, have it through Bill and I personally know several racers that have had a claim including theft mentioned above and everyone has had their claim processed and paid without issue.

Again, the argument could easily be made, the insurance company actually prefers racers store their cars/trailer at the track which is a win win for the racer and the insurance company. Less time on the road means less chance of a damage claim.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don, I and most here in the northeast that have insurance on their race operation, have it through Bill and I personally know several racers that have had a claim including theft mentioned above and everyone has had their claim processed and paid without issue.

Again, the argument could easily be made, the insurance company actually prefers racers store their cars/trailer at the track which is a win win for the racer and the insurance company. Less time on the road means less chance of a damage claim.

great I am glad your race cars are insured through any Broker like myself .If it were me I would ask the drag Strip decision maker about a Liability Issue by leaving your race car there.
We do not insure Trailers it is best to go through Your Home Owners Insurance and By the way Cheapest in most cases >

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Kennedy,

Don Kennedy

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Bill Horton refused to insure my rig due to it being parked in my driveway at home between races...I moved from there and now live in a private, gated community...I'll call you Don...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Race Car Insurance is not an entitlement, Bill or any other broker can refuse whoever they want for whatever reason they want. By your own admission, no one will insure your car.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it were me I would ask the decision maker of the drag strip if they have any liability insurance or security full time on the premise when not racing long term >>Just saying find out in writing .I repeat I am not trying to be a negative person about this just thinking about the issues that a person with his expensive race car could run into

Don Kennedy

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
With Bill Horton...

Your policy starts by insuring your race car, and you can also cover your trailer and contents, along with tools and spare parts. With few exclusions, the policy provides coverage:

At NHRA and IHRA member race tracks

In transit, or at a hotel or restaurant

At your storage location (even if not at home)

At car shows, and other displays

All year round, even when disassembled!

Coverage is not provided when the car is going down the race track under power, but coverage is provided in the pits, staging lanes, and on the return road.

http://dragracersinsurance.com/coverage.htm

http://dragracersinsurance.com/faqs.htm

If you are not racing at a NHRA or IHRA sanctioned track then is your stuff no longer covered?

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Kennedy:
quote:

If it were me I would ask the decision maker of the drag strip if they have any liability insurance or security full time on the premise when not racing long term >>Just saying find out in writing .I repeat I am not trying to be a negative person about this just thinking about the issues that a person with his expensive race car could run into

Most tracks have locking roll gates to control who enters/exits the tracks when they are closed. E-Town has a security guard that lives there and patrols the premises after they are closed. He has a lot of hound dogs also that bark at everything!

But, there have been times across the country that trailers have been stolen during an event! Most tracks have come up with ways to make sure a trailer leaving matches the truck that brought it in. Stuff can get stolen at anytime, anywhere.

Yeah Dave, crack heads are everywhere. They also buy trucks with 5th wheel and gooseneck hitches on them to steal the odd ball stuff too. Wink

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah Dave, crack heads are everywhere. They also buy steal trucks with 5th wheel and gooseneck hitches on them to steal the odd ball stuff too.

Fixed it for you Mike....

You seem to have an issue with me calling thief's "crackheads"
I apologize to all the gentlemen that steal our racecars, trailers and parts. I'm certain that drugs, or the need and use of drugs, are not the cause...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4443 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Race Car Insurance is not an entitlement, Bill or any other broker can refuse whoever they want for whatever reason they want. By your own admission, no one will insure your car.

Yes, but he specifically refused to insure because it sat in my driveway between races and not in a locked garage...the AAA agency said the same thing...my race car, trailer and scooter are no different than scads of other racers...it was all about my rig parking in a private driveway...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
With Bill Horton...

Your policy starts by insuring your race car, and you can also cover your trailer and contents, along with tools and spare parts. With few exclusions, the policy provides coverage:

At NHRA and IHRA member race tracks

In transit, or at a hotel or restaurant

At your storage location (even if not at home)

At car shows, and other displays

All year round, even when disassembled!

Coverage is not provided when the car is going down the race track under power, but coverage is provided in the pits, staging lanes, and on the return road.

http://dragracersinsurance.com/coverage.htm

http://dragracersinsurance.com/faqs.htm

If you are not racing at a NHRA or IHRA sanctioned track then is your stuff no longer covered?

The Company I sell for has the same coverage, Let me know if you need Your race car covered call me or Bill .or email me the following information.
Name
Address
Phone number
amount wanting to insure the car
description of car and some form ID of car vin number chassis number or builders number
donkennedy1@cox.net
or call me 602-284-6240 anytime
thanks Don Kennedy or see me at the races.
I have a Old Super Stocker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZabJnOGuws

Don Kennedy

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So if it is parked in "Private or Public parking" it is covered but if in your driveway they will not cover it? Why do they refuse to cover it? Could it be because it is not very secure and protected there? Risk vs reward. The insurance companies are there to make money. They look at the risk involved, the cost of replacement and base the premiums on that.
What about if it is parked down the street from the ghetto? (Crackhouse, whatever)
What if it is parked near the auto junk yard that is really just a chop shop for stolen stuff?
What if it is parked at the race track between races? Other people have access to it several times a week but those people do not steal. Right.
There are people who have got their trailers stolen from Locked Uhaul facilities with video cameras and you have to have a card to swipe and code to get in. That was supposedly a secure facility.

While they may "Cover it" the more risky and less protected it is the harder it is going to be to get a fair settlement if anything does ever happen.

I agree getting insurance is a very good idea but you still have to do your best to protect it or you will have a problem with the insurance company. Another thing is the insurance company bases their rates on risk involved. The higher the risk of a claim the more expensive the premiums will be if they insure it at all.

I suggest getting the insurance but also storing it in as safe of a place as possible and also getting multiple layers of security. In the end I think you are responsible for the security and and the insurance is there in case something fails.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post